Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Hey @Sweeting really appreciate you taking the time out to provide us with these updates. Thanks a lot!

3 Likes

I’m wondering if despite all the hype over Billy the Kid this summer it’s actually Rhys Williams that Klopp and his team are eyeing as an internal option for that “4th Choice CB”?

I mean he’s fucking huge! And not doing too much wrong in his senior appearances so far. He towers over most of the team. Seems significantly taller than Klopp too (not easy) although can’t see any official heights listed for him anywhere. Didn’t have high hopes for him after his lower league loan but it seems like it’s gearing up for him to start slowly breaking through this year.

I don’t think they have to make that decision, like “who is the one”. On certain days (at least until January or longer) it could be anyone out of; Fabinho, Hendo, R. Williams, Phillips, Koumetio, vdBerg…

Of course, it’s not “whoever” in those moments. They have different styles, experiences, form, how much they’re adapted so far, etc.

We’ll see if anyone can take that chance for something more serious, either winning a squad spot here when they’re all fit or maybe earns interest for a loan/transfer.

For me Fabinho and Gomez are most definitely 1 and 2 on the list now, try to play them consistently together to form a partnership whilst VvD is out. Matip just can’t be relied upon but when available will be nice to use to rotate those two keeping them fresh and not having a drop off in quality. Henderson should be a last resort as him and Fabinho out of CM really does start to leave us light in CM. I’m still yet to be convinced on VDB he just doesn’t seem ready. Maybe he’s developed a lot though since I last paid attention. There was a lot of entertaining hype over Billy the Kid but I’m not actually sure he’ll be anywhere near anything more than an FA Cup outing or two v lower league opposition at most this season. Hoping for big things in his future though. Phillips is nice to have as an extra. Home grown senior CB with a bit of practical experience but let’s be honest if he had any real quality he’d have been snapped off us last summer. He’ll do a job if needed and don’t think he’ll embarrass us but he’ll just be limited. Williams is the one I’m starting to hope may quietly be taking his first steps on a breakout year.

I think the thing to remember with his loan - and I agree it seemed a strange one to me at the time - was that he went there as a first year professional player. Most other first year pros are still playing U18 football or maybe having a season with the U23s.

Either Rhys or the club decided spending last year in the U23s would be a waste of time; and given that he is just physically bigger than everyone at U23 level then I think that was a smart decision.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be so sure on Matip being necessarily 3rd. We have a huge number of games coming up, we’ll possibly need a number of them at certain moments. Fabinho did pretty well so far at CB, but there could be a different game/opponent or two where he might struggle. We have to rely on people when they’re fit. I know it’s common to say we can’t rely on Matip/Gomez, but they also had long spells when they were available. Of course, the risk goes up when we’re limited in numbers and that’s exactly when we have to be smart and maybe rotate in some games when we feel we can. I agree on vdBerg, he doesn’t look ready for me. Koumetio also, even though for someone so young, he already has some nice tools. I just wouldn’t say that the hierarchy is definite and set now after one game without Virgil. There will be more twists and turns. Hopefully not too much.

1 Like

Interested in keeping an eye on this lad. He was touted back when he was about 14 as being a really special talent although the hype seems to have died down a bit since.

You’ll know better than me but the loan did make sense in one respect as in if it was toughening up he needed. If he was spot on technically and tactically but just needed the physical side then the lower down the league’s he went the better?

With the way this season will be even as “third” choice Matip would play nearly all the time he’s available. The other two “starters” won’t be able to play 4/5 games every 2 weeks all season they will need rotation and resting. Even as next in line behind them two Matip could play regularly, one start a week most weeks…when fit…

So, Rhys is 6ft 5in tall.

I do not remember much about his speed in the previous 2 games. Anyone noticed if he is a fast runner or a lumbering mass?

1 Like

Our U18s currently 4-0 up in the derby.

4 Likes

And it finished that way

Frauendorf, Woltman, Jonas and an OG scoring in our now annual hammering of Everton.

U23s currently 1-0 up against Chelsea.

3 Likes

Jaros
Bradley vdBerg Williams Savage
Cain Clayton Dixon-Bonner
Bearne Longstaff Millar

Subs: Winterbottom; Larouci, O’Rourke, Hardy, Ritaccio

2 Likes

U23 vs Chelski 3-0 after 23 minutes. Rhys, Cain on the scoresheet. Can not see who scored the third yet.

1 Like

Millar got no3.

2 Likes

Finished 3-1. Fiabema scored late for Chelsea.

1 Like

German commentator just said that Billy Koumetio is currently in quarantine.

First off, incredibly sad news emerging tonight that 17-year-old former Manchester City youth team player Jeremy Wisten has passed away after he took his own life following a battle with depression. Thoughts with his family at this time, awful news.

Less importantly - the weekend round up.

U23 Results - 23rd-25th October 2020
Derby 3-1 Southampton
Ibe, Whittaker, MacDonald - Slattery

Middlesbrough 3-0 Burnley
Dodds, Fletcher, Sykes

West Brom 1-0 Newcastle
Dyce

West Ham 0-0 Blackburn

Brighton 0-4 Leicester
Wakeling (x2), Wright, Shade

Man Utd 2-1 Everton
Elanga, Galbraith - Simms

Liverpool 3-1 Chelsea
Williams, Cain, Millar - Fiabema

Man City 4-1 Arsenal
Nmecha, Mcatee, Delap, Dionkou - Moller

Leeds 2-0 Norwich
Poveda, Raphinha

U18 Results - 23rd & 24th October
Chelsea 4-3 Norwich
Vale (x2), Soonsup-Bell (x2) - Dickson-Peters (x2), Thorn

Brighton 2-3 West Ham
Miller, Everitt - Perkins (x2), Corbett

Everton 0-4 Liverpool
Frauendorf, Jonas, Woltman, OG

Tottenham 4-4 Reading
Scarlett (x2), Devine, Whittaker - Maunder (x2), Hamilton, Ehibhaimha

Aston Villa 0-3 Fulham
Harris (x2), Pajaziti

Blackburn 1-3 Middlesbrough
Ormsdale - Kavanagh (x2), Trialist

Crystal Palace 1-0 Leicester
Omilabu

Derby 0-4 Man Utd
McNeill (x2), Emeran, Forson

West Brom 1-3 Arsenal
Okaka - Plange (x2), OG

Sunderland 1-3 Burnley
Taylor - Moonan, Unwin, Mellon

Newcastle 0-1 Man City
Bobb

Wolves 2-0 Leeds
Tipton, Barnett

3 Likes

Latest Transfers - U23 & U18
Haydon Roberts, 18, CB: Brighton to Southend - Loan
Tom Smith, 18, GK: Arsenal to Dover - Loan
Bradley Cross, 19, CB: Schalke to Newcastle - Free
Florent Indalecio, 23, CF: Free Agent to Newcastle - Free

Indalecio is a weird story. He was on the books with Saint Etienne until he was 15 (with Allan Saint-Maximan) and was kicked out for bad behaviour. Most recently he was playing 4th division football in Australia while working as a bricklayer. ASM arranged a trial for him at Newcastle and he scored an overhead kick in training and signed a contract.

I’m guessing he won’t make the grade but an interesting punt they’ve taken anyway. Similar to the one taken by Arsenal when they signed George Lewis after a scout spotted him playing indoor 9-a-side football for a 3rd division Norwegian club.

2 Likes