Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Not a lot of takeaways from that Burnley game. Burnley really aren’t of the standard that could realistically trouble us.

Only things to mention would be the lovely first touch by Cannonier for the first goal. Koumetio, the tallest man on the pitch, was literally being marked by someone half his size when he headed it in for 2-0. Balagizi showed nice fett a number of times but that’s standard for him now and I have to think a call up to the U23s isn’t too far away (I’d actually love for him to taken in the squad for Midtjylland). Musialowski scored a bit of a poacher goal and Ennis had a free header from less than a yard out to make it 4-0.

Burnley pulled one back in extra time, was a bit scrappy with a number of tackles going in and the ball finding their winger in a favourable position to score.

3 Likes
1 Like

Losing 2-0 at half time.

1 Like

Koumetio subbed at HT.
Stewart with 1 back.

1 Like

Morton heads us level 2-2.
Stewart makes it 3-2, a great comeback. 13th goal of the season.

2 Likes

Balgizi is that city kid we got this summer right?

1 Like

3-3 shame no var.
85 minutes 4-3 utd. :anguished:
Stephenson should have made it 4-4 but shoots over.
Finishes 4-3 .

1 Like

Summer of 2019 we signed him.

1 Like

We missed a few good chances and we experimented with some players - Frauendorf playing RB for example.

Stewart and Musialowski played well.

1 Like

Just watched the highlights of the 4-3 against United.

Stewart’s two goals were top class bits of play. Great finishes for both but really good set up play too - Tyler Morton with a 50 yard pass for his first and Musialowski beating 4 men (again!) before setting him up for his second. That’s 13 in 9 for Stewart now at u18 level this season.

Some poor defending from us but that’s to be expected at this level really, we’ve thrown away a few games we should have won.

Noticed Harvey Blair returned from injury too.

2 Likes

Millar nominated again for PL2 player of the month

2 Likes

Big piece in the Athletic today about Leighton Clarkson. Says he’s incredibly highly rated as a future #6/DM by Klopp and the coaching team, who have nicknamed him ‘Philipp Lahm’. Says Klopp is impressed by his mature athleticism, selfless play and ‘outstanding tactical knowledge’.

All sounds very positive… how do @Sweeting, @ILLOK and the other regular youth game viewers rate him?

Reading the article, part of me wonders whether he’s a part of the reason the club is being slightly relaxed about Gini’s future.

1 Like

I don’t rate him as highly as Klopp, apparently.

He’s good, can pick a pass as he showed the other day. I think he’s quite small and unathletic though so hearing him called athletic surprises me. I genuinely doubt his long term prospects.

2 Likes

Yeah, the comment was Klopp was impressed that in terms of muscularity he’s apparently very mature for his age.

Shame to hear he may not have all that much about him after all, though.

Edit: Here’s the piece:

1 Like

I’m not saying he’s a bad prospect but looking at the physical nature of our midfielders - tall, they can all cover a lot of ground and are combative. I don’t see any of those traits in Clarkson.

2 Likes

Oh no; not the height debate again.

Wake me up when it’s over.

3 Likes

It’s not essential to be tall but it’s notable that all our midfielders are physically quite large. I’ve more faith in someone like Balagizi becoming a first team player.

2 Likes

How tall is Clarkson?

Just thinking players like Naby, Gini, Thiago and Ox are all in the 5’7 to 5’9 range…

1 Like

I think what they like is some of his technical, passing and intelligence aspects. Might be rare to see from a certain young age. Highly doubt that a player like him would affect the Gini situation. I know we look in advance, but those two situations are miles apart.

On the other hand, yeah, the belief and a few articles doesn’t mean the kid will necessarily make it here. Still a long, long way to go.

Wouldn’t be the first time that a few nice words came from the club via an article or two or some quotes, but in the end, they turned out to be not good enough for us long term.

We should just realize that, enjoy the ride and not get too excited over these things. Let the player himself excite us if/when he makes it.

3 Likes

I love watching him play, but I’m biased because he reminds me of myself. Remember my love in for Joe Allen? Yeah…

I think he is/will be incredibly good on the ball. His technique is as good if not better than most of our senior players. He’s clever off the ball but as we saw the other night is outmatched physically. That’s an issue he might be able to get around, or might not. I honestly don’t know. I certainly wouldn’t stick my neck out and be as confident he’ll make it as I was for Trent or Jones.

I rate him more highly than any other midfield prospect we’ve had come through in the last 10 years that isn’t Jones though. I think he’s essentially a better version of Chirivella.

3 Likes