Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Hows Pitaluga doing. Training with the firsts it seems but not much talk of him I don’t see.

Yeah I seen the game. Think the whole of them at the back had a nightmare. Can’t recall many errors individually from him tbf.

I think the club likes what our GK staff are doing with our keepers and I believe that’s also why we’re getting them in. Realistically, it’s a arguably the most difficult position to get chances and ultimately become first choice at a club like Liverpool. But it’s an opportunity to train/improve/rotate them at lower picks and if we can’t get a proper player from them or keep them long enough at the club, we’ll try and get more of the deals like Danny Ward (I mean, look at the fee we got and his situation, he’ll be 28 this summer and he’s still not playing any club football, going from lower picks at Liverpool to Leicester’s no. 2) and make nice profit.

Find it slightly unambitious to be honest to just arrive to be a training keeper. I fully understand you get top class training and will improve and move on but surely it’s worth dropping down a few leagues and playing some senior football.

Get paid significantly more to be the third choice keeper at Liverpool, with amazing training facilities and medical staff than you do to be first choice at some scrub League One club training on an astro turf shared with the local high school.

It’s a choice between getting paid £10k every week to have essentially a personal trainer, personal chef and access to the best coaching staff in the world while going for a swim in the best gym you’ve ever set eyes on and having Christmas off to be with the kids, since you won’t be named in the squad anyway, or get paid less to have hardly any - perhaps none - of the above benefits while constantly travelling around the country to play infront of empty stadiums in Macclesfield and Crawley.

2 Likes

Would a 16 year old 4th keeper in the u18s be on 10k??

1 Like

Ok well the issue is even more pronounced at youth level. A 16 year old 4th choice has a number of considerations…

1. They’re likely playing for the U16s on days they’re not in the 18s.
  2. If they get to 17 and sign a pro deal they’ll be on significantly more money than if they were the 1st choice U18 at, for example, Tranmere.
  3. World class coaching and facilities compared to other clubs. To continue to use Tranmere as an example their U18 team literally plays at the local college. It’s incomparable.
  4. The chances of having a pro career coming through a top club like Liverpool is much higher than coming through at Tranmere. Chances are wherever you play you’ll fail to break through, especially as a goalkeeper. If your starting point is Liverpool then you can likely get a contract at a solid professional club at 18 even if you were never considered a great prospect. You fail to break through at Tranmere and, in all likelihood, your chances of playing professional football are gone before you’re 20.
4 Likes

No yeah I read the piece there last night. Yeah I do get why they come, I’d do the same to be honest in that position. Just fell like in Hughes case would have it been better for him to say get a move to the Scottish Championship rather than sit on the bench for the 23s then end up leaving on a free in a year or two to some non league side. Then again I know the training is good, but is senior first team football even better for a young player?

Actually playing in games is massively overrated in terms of a development tool. Training with high quality players is far more important.

3 Likes

@Sweeting or anyone who has more information.

Any news on Paul Glatzel? How is his recovery going? Will he be able to return this season?

Lost 1-0. :thinking:

Liverpool team to play Chelsea U23s, 19:00. Live on Lfc tv.

Pitaluga, Bradley, Koumetio, Boyes, Beck, Clarkson, Longstaff, Morton, Woodburn, Cain, Stewart.

Chelsea TV is streaming the match, but who cares.

1 Like

1-0 down another Billy mistake.

2-1 Liverpool. morton.

What’s with these Brazilian keepers and injuries???

Odell Beckham Jr What GIF by DraftKings

Also, I think naming Danny Ward is also telling only one side of the story. We’ve had keepers like Gulasci who’ve made a good career for themselves. Its about what a player needs at his stage of development. It could well work out for all parties involved.

A 3-2 victory for the young reds, Stewart with the 3rd Goal.
Sunderland Under 18’s V Liverpool Under 18’s, 11 am tomorrow.