Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

It’s a painful rehab and the experience can rob older players of their enthusiasm to return, and can lead some to half arse it, but for his style of play and his size and strength, there is no reason to think it will meaningfully diminish him as long as his surgery goes well and he does the rehab.

3 Likes

Hopefully Guardiola would have already exited cheaty by then. However, wherever he ends up, his ‘accomplishments’ will be forever tainted by how he got them and who with.

1 Like

That will only happen if they’re found guilty. We know from previous experience that even when guilty they can get away with it. I think their solicitors will tie this up for years in appeals and eventually the PL will just give up through lack of cash. There is absolutely zero chance that City will accept a guilty verdict knowing they can be thrown out of the league (or even all leagues).

I believe they’re guilty btw but believing (or even knowing) is different to proving. I really hope some parts of the trial come out just so i can make up my own mind. At the very least i don’t think most of the charges will stick, even if the PL agree to drop some on appeal (as in all the ones that can get City thrown out)

haha @GermanRed

4 Likes

Virgil has done it. Rodri does seem professional and focused on football. I can imagine he’ll have the grit and determination to get back playing well, provided his knee is repaired properly and he has no issues after.

Blow for him, and City. Good for us though.

1 Like

Exactly. People were questioning how much it would affect his game, answer: not much… Rodri doesn’t rely on those physical attributes as much, IMO.

Not everyone recovers from an ACL the same way.

Doesn’t matter on playstyle.

3 Likes

Guess it worked :upside_down_face:

1 Like

All hail @NIk- I mean @GermanRed!

2 Likes

It took Virgil a long time to get back to a high level, and I know people who would argue he never did come back to the same level he’d been at previously.

I’m no expert, but I also think a DM role generally requires more running per game than a CB, and also a lot more sudden changes in direction whereas for a CB the game is predominantly played in front of them.

City also seem to be targeting replacements in January, this lad from Torino? Just saying I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the beginning of the end for Rodri as City’s linchpin.

3 Likes

12 Likes

I don’t think Virgil is as aggresive now compared to pre ACL. Hes had to adapt…like all ACL injured players.

I don’t disagree re CBs and CMs having it different or think we will see a better Rodri. Its a uphill battle for him.

I’m just pointing out that it is not neccesarily all over for Rodri, and that i think he has the right mentality to return and be better than good. Seen it plenty over the years from good players, such as Virg, Del Piero, Keane, Shearer, Xavi etc etc. Also seen it go the other way, more often than not.

1 Like

At least £60m being spent on first day of transfer window. I hope the player is smart enough to ask for a “guilty” release clause.

6 Likes

Even with all players available dropping points at St. James’ Park can happen.

They have an easy run of league games in October so I doubt they will drop points.

Is he talking about the Drug Squad?

1 Like

Seeing early reports that City have won their case against the PL.

This isn’t the 130 charges, it’s a separate one that apparently rules the PL’s sponsorship regulations are unlawful.

I guess we’ll see the fallout soon enough, but I think I read the outcome of this case could potentially open the doors for all the petro-billions clubs to basically write their own cheques.

2 Likes

So essentially we are back where we were pre 2021.

What’s the point in a voting system in the PL, when clubs with unlimited wealth don’t get their way and can go on the offensive and put this all through the courts. So fucking disingenuous - we’re crying because we can’t cheat with these new rules. cunts.

Hopefully the rules are re-written and approved before long - or the other 12 clubs club together and challenge the decision.

Ultimately, money talks unfortunately.

1 Like

There has been lots of reporting on City’s position that the newer interpretations of related party deals (something bolstered by a recent case involving Newcastle) bolster their defense and need to be reflected in the charges against them. That is what this earlier hearing was about.

It’s clearly complex, but reports were that the PL were clear that it was a distraction by City as the charges against them didn’t revolve around how related party deals are dealt with, but purely City’s accounting of the deals regardless of their source.

1 Like

Hm… the BBC’s coverage of this verdict is less black and white than the Telegraph’s take:

So maybe it won’t result in the richest clubs being given carte blanche to funnel billions into themselves via so-called “sponsorships”… we’ll have to see, I guess.

6 Likes