Masculinity - What Makes a Man?

And all races. And all sexualities. In fact, for everyone.

But it’ll never happen, because…

People. Are. Fuckwits.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this group includes Peter Lloyd but I still find this funny

2 Likes

Why not? It’s is happening in Northern Europe and in other parts of the world too.
Compare the situation in the 70s and 80s to now, there have been improvements in the situation of women and lgbt people.
Of course, in vast swathes of the world there has been little or no change, but that doesn’t mean that it’s completely bleak picture.

You’d think bellends like this would be naturally selected out of society. It’s amazing they find women willing to sleep with them.

1 Like

Yeah that’s my take as well. For different reasons, many men pressurize themselves into stereotypical behaviours (ie. men don’t cry), which puts them under huge pressure. This, along with a higher violence level (testosterone?) goes a long way to explain this spectacular suicide rate among men imo.

oh oh…me me…me sir…me sir…

is the answer 5 times out of 100 or less?

http://statemuseumpa.org/victorian-boys-dress-gender-neutral/

2 Likes

I bought my son his first pair of goggles at the pool a few months ago. There was a wall of them and he chose the pink ones.

In a swimming session not long thereafter a parent said to his child (about my son), ‘Leave that [toy] alone, the little girl is playing with it.’

So obviously, the answer to the question is not pink Zoggs swimming goggles.

4 Likes

And subsequently a better society. ‘Half the Sky’ is a brilliant book on this.

Would also say that having a daughter really accelerates feminism in a man!

3 Likes

I think I’ll mute this. Real men lose interest after a while.

the one thing i can’t stand is those dads that refuse to accept they have a daughter! :rofl:

As with many things, it’s a complex mix of nature and nurture.

Of course, culture plays an important role, obviously. There will be variations between cultures (colour preferences). Then there will be some things that replicate in different cultures (a certain toy preference). Some things may really be culturally universal.

Then there are cross-species studies (eg chimpanzees), which may show a gender difference in the type of toys.

Anyway, it’s the 21st century. Do whatever you want, as long as it does not interfere with others’ right to do the same.

5 Likes

So manbags are ok for you?

At my age, fashion is not even an afterthought. Comfort/laziness over fashion, as I no longer care what anyone thinks of me (not exactly true, as I’d ask if I meet the threshold of the ‘do I look like an idiot’ test).

Not even sure if my concept of a man bag is correct, but to answer your question, if that’s what the person likes, then go for it.

As for whether i’d use one, i’m used to sticking things in my pockets. As you get older, it’s hard to change ways. So when I buy trousers, the first thing I check is the room in the pockets. So I wouldn’t carry those small bags. No point for me. The pockets does the job.

If I need a bag, it’s usually if i’m carrying my laptop, or the old fashion rucksacks that can fit the shopping in it (as with two straps and positioned on the back, it’s more comfortable).

I think we should be careful not to reduce male suicide down to the idea that it’s all down to imposed gender roles and if boys cried a bit more they’d be okay.

Financial pressures, substance abuse, the isolating nature of modern day life in western socities are all major risk factors. Biological differences play their role. It’s a multifaceted and complicated issue.

5 Likes

Some of which are a result of patriarchal living.

The fact that men feel financial pressures more keenly is a result of societal imposed ideas that men have to the the breadwinner, and they are solely at fault for financial difficulty.

Men feeling more isolated than women is in large part because of their difficulty opening up emotionally, and forming close friendships. Which might be partly nature, but it’s also partly nurture.

No-one is saying it’s as simple as ‘just cry a bit more’. The point is that behind most of the issues that disproportionately negatively affect men there are issues with prescribed gender roles.

5 Likes

This is the bag I have. It’s particularly useful in the current heatwave where a jacket is simply not an option, even in the evening. Personally, I find I have too many things to carry on a daily basis to put everything in my pocket, and this is a practical solution.
I was reminded of this conversation the other day when I went to the doctor’s. I had to take the usual, wallet, phone, keys, reading glasses. Then I got a couple of prescriptions from the doctor, went and got them, went for an xray, got a cd with the results. All of this extra stuff easily carried in my bag.
Of course, not needing extra disposable bags (plastic!!!) gives me extra environmental bragging rights too :wink:

4 Likes

Gay

I think you’re hamfisting your political agenda into a problem that is far more complex than you’re giving it credit for.

1 Like