Mental health in Sport

Yeah that’s the shit thing about it all that she is duty bound to do stuff that has literally nothing.

I want to see the best tennis players fight it out on the court same goes for any sport. Couldn’t give a shit about the talking, don’t even bother with the build up on football.

It’s hot air all previews are.

I mute football all the time. Really liked that period of time when you could get football (on Amazon Prime I think) that didn’t have any commentary, just stadium noise. Only time I never muted football.

I often wonder if I’m the only person who does that, and whether football (among other sports) would lose a lot of toxicity if we didn’t have someone hyping up every single thing.

1 Like

Most commentators and match pundits forget why they are there… and that is to simply comment (as in commentator), on the match activity in front of them. So so many see it as an opportunity for claiming their 15minutes of fame, as a platform for pushing their unrelated personal opinions and agendas onto the listeners…
Anyone ever listening to Steve Hunter on LFC matches, can take assurance that this guy sticks to the script on his job description… Never bad mouths anyone (even referee’s), never leaves innuendo’s hanging in the air for inciting opposing opinion… he is just very good at the job he undertakes.
Pity some of the expert poseurs on TV can’t follow suit

Often portrayed as the former, more often the latter. I don’t really remember gaining much tactical insight except when Rafa, Wenger, and Mourinho were on. I wonder what the world of football would look like without the rest. More enlightened and less on edge I suspect.

It is as though there is a mad scramble to get on TV between the zillions of pundits that have suddenly appeared from nowhere. Elbowing each other out of the way to get their face and opinions seen and heard, with the only remit being, the more bullshit and nonsense you can spout, the safer your contract becomes with these networks.
If it wasn’t so serious the way they are contributing to the demise of football enthusiasm in general, they would surely be viewed as little more than the pathetic ‘has been’s’ that they really do need to accept.!

No I’ve had it on mute throughout the period of lockdown.

Just no point without the crowd.

Depends how annoying Tyler gets to how close I get to muting him, McCoist is probably the only I don’t mute now as he is not trying to needle rubbish in.

I see Osaka has had another breakdown in a press conference because she was asked a difficult question.

The girl needs to take a career break it could be a real disaster if she doesn’t

Maybe she should just be able to play Tennis, I couldn’t give a shit what any of them say in a press conversation. Like the obsession at Klopp being prickly, he could tell them all to eff off I wouldn’t care as long as the results were good on the field.

2 Likes

I agree MH…
Its not just the interviews per-se…
It is the actual high number of them that they have to partake…
I’m sure if Shankly or Paisley had to get through the same number that Jurgen has to face up to… we would have seen a more prickly side to them also… especially if a ‘numpty’ like Pearce was at everyone of them trying to make himself sound interesting and relevant…

1 Like

Perhaps if they ever asked anything insightful , but as it so rarely happens i’m not sure it would be a big deal just to let her not do press conferences.

1 Like

The problem is that sports people earned millions from their sport at the elite end. A lot of that money comes from TV etc so for them to answer a few questions seems fine.

The question she was asked as well seemed fine and I don’t think there was an element to bullying to it

I thought they were paid to play …

If you are starting to see the best players not playing because of unnecessary attachments then isn’t that just going hurt the sport.

2 Likes

I don’t know enough about her situation, but that sounds like saying to an arachnophope or a trypanophobe that it’s just one little spider or just one quick jab.

I don’t think that it’s a case that she just doesn’t want to answer a few questions but that she finds the whole situation to cause her anxiety to the point where she breaks down.

I don’t see that her mental health is more important than a few soundbites, and if it’s that important, why not submit questions by email and have her answer via press releases.

I think the issue is that fundamentally the entities she is now in opposition with have their own self-interest to worry about more than they can about her personal well-being.

This one happened before I was following English football in earnest, so the story was quite shocking to read today. Another man who seemingly had it all, but faced the silent killer inside his own mind. Good work from the BBC here.