Michael Edwards

Output from the model and recommendations are not the same thing. There is still that human intelligence that provides the bridge from the former to the latter. Edwards was surely only a component of that, but a key one.

1 Like

No they aren’t, but the human intelligence on that part is Ian Graham, so I’m not sure why you think something’s changed?

I don’t think we disagree on the definitions of what we’re talking about, but more precisely what Edwards’ role was vs Graham’s.

I’m a bit worried about Mikey leaving. Although it’s still six months, but there’s some key contract renewals pending.

I suspect that Julian ward, as Assistant sporting director, has been involved in all discussions around contracts etc.

I guess change when things have been going well is never a nice feeling; but the ever-present Gordon is there, and he’s the one that’s continually hired the right people and also applied the ethos of progression from within. Edwards is a replaceable cog in the machine, albeit he will be hard to replace.

1 Like
1 Like
Michael Edwards finest moment.
  • Mugging Barcelona for ÂŁ142m for Coutinho
  • The ÂŁ100m ‘fuck off now, Barca’ clause
  • Persuading Klopp to go for Mo Salah
  • Swapping Kev Stewart for Andy Robertson
  • Repeatedly emptying Bournemouth’s transfer kitty.
  • The new training ground
  • Getting Van Dijk for ÂŁ5m less than Harry Maguire
  • Making laptops and spreadsheets cool.

0 voters

2 Likes

So hard to choose. Getting Firmino and winning the power battle with Rodgers must be up there as well.

Recreating goals in his garden during lockdown, that was a nice insight.

Robbing Fabinho off United. That was good.

Stopping all the leaks from inside the club. Incredible really.

So many deals were just done. No fanfare. No fuss.

Just, here,

Firmino
Fabinho
Jota
Konaté

And he’s managed to do it all with barely a bad word said about him.

Apart from [allegedly] hacking City’s database. :rofl:

Legend.

6 Likes

The obvious answer is the one missing: All of the above.

7 Likes

and Tsinikas too :sunglasses:

The City fans love to go on about this, as if it was like Tom Cruise abseiling into the computer vault in Mission Impossible, rather than them forgetting to change the passwords when Fallows and Hunter left.

2 Likes

I prefer their version :rofl:

Got to be the Coutinho deal as that was the real catalyst for getting Virg and Alisson and that’s when we seriously took a leap forward.

Maybe we’d have got them both without the Coutinho sale but I somehow doubt it. It would also have been expected that we’d reinvest some of that money going after a like for like replacement given he was one of our better players at the time. But he was a bit of a square peg in a round hole for Klopp. Not the workman like midfielder he wanted to deploy and not a proper quick wide player to play on the break or high press. His sale allowed Klopp to move on from someone that didn’t really fit and address two of the most pressing needs we had.

Think we’ll look back on that deal in time and see it was critical to our subsequent success. The fact we got a kings ransom and he’s completely flopped just makes it all the sweeter.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s why I went for that one

I’m hoping that Mascot’s gone too early and that Edwards has sorted us an amazing leaving present.

3 Likes

A Salah extension and Mbappe on a dirt cheap price with 6 months left on his deal. I’d accept PSG using us shamelessly to send a message/fuck over Real Madrid!

Wouldn’t be the first time.

Novak Djokovic Sport GIF by Tennis Channel

1 Like

Edwards will peak with a Mbappe - Calvert Lewin swap deal

ME - “We will offer Calvert Lewin for your Mbappe to Liverpool”

PSG - “Hmm is this Calvert lewin one of your star players”

ME - “he is a centre forward for a club in Liverpool yes, and very prominent in the world of fashion”

PSG - “deal”

ME

Jack Nicholson Sunglasses GIF by Pop TV

Coutinho for me - that whole transfer was just a grandiose masterclass of “we’re doing this on our terms now”. Extracted the third highest sum in the history of football for a player, inserted that Barcelona premium to further protect the club, provided the catalyst for financial destruction of Barcelona and set off a chain of events that ultimately led to Liverpool winning the CL and PL because he basically used that money to buy Van Dijk and Alisson. He really couldn’t have done more in one move.

16 Likes

Ever come out who was the informer in the club during the Rodgers days.