Michael Edwards

Yeah, Waskett, Spearman, Steele, Graham, Stevenson, French, Mathieson, Kingston, Leyland brilliant bunch of nerds we’ve got working for us.

2 Likes

Thanks alot for the links Draexnael. It was a an unusual and interesting read. The way clubs approach football these days is so sophisticated and advanced.

4 Likes

I think the really interesting thing about this is how do you apply it to players who are currently playing in a different system and so might be asked to do different things than they have the capability to do for us. A foil/replacement for Bobby is a great example. The number of players who are identified here by someone and then rubbished for “not pressing” is high, despite the fact that many (most?) forwards are going to explicitly asked not to.

I think that is where the next generation application will come from so the suckers end up scouting only from sides who play like they want to, whereas the good users will still be able to apply the information to players and sides who play differently.

7 Likes

This is a good point and I think this is what our nerds have been doing for some time already. Looking for ‘attributes’ rather than simply in-game executions of skills they admire.

4 Likes

They are experts not charlatans

4 Likes

Who is the chess champion?

1 Like

Tim Waskett - holder of a first-class honours degree in astrophysics - was hired by Graham in August 2012, with former junior chess champion and energy industry professional Dafydd Steele and Will Spearman - who worked for the European Organisation for Nuclear Research after completing a doctorate in high-energy physics at Harvard - joining later.

6 Likes

Right, but not a real football man among the lot of them. How are they going to price into their model a player who’s willing to let their best player know he’s there early in a game?

I can actually hear in my head, some Robbie Savage type shitbag sticking on one a Liverpool player and then saying “stick that in yet statistical model”.

3 Likes

But he knows alot about checks,mate

1 Like

Actually this statistical model exists, and is called xCunt. It assesses how many times per 90 a player is likely to leave one on an opposition player, however it’s only really useful when combined with the action’s ‘doors’ value (how early in the game it occurs), the referee’s fucking useless factor, and a percentage value on how likely the player is to be be the England Captain.

4 Likes

Seriously!!!

1 Like

Was going to say, sounds like the stats Southgate uses to select his squad.

3 Likes
1 Like

Is Michael Edwards married? If so, his missus had better watch out, as it looks like she’s got competition from this Dan Kennett bloke.

And @Kopstar :joy:

4 Likes

We’re happily married, yes.

3 Likes

Allan who! Seriously.

Seriously?

Allan Rodrigo de Souza

He was a highly rated Brazilian youth player we struggled to get a work permit for. Went on a succession of loans to try and get his qualifying stats up, before we accepted it wasn’t happening and moved him on.

£3m profit. Kerrrrching. Edwards is a smooth bastard.

5 Likes

Oh him, right :grin:

Based on these figures and LFChistory.net, I reckon between him, Klopp and the rest, they’ve spent 514m and recouped 408m, building a side that became champions of the Europe, The World and the Premier League for 106m.

I don’t really understand how anyone can criticise him.

5 Likes

Don’t worry it will be used to criticise FSG.

5 Likes