Mikey’s Millions 2024

At that age nobody raved about Allison either. Kelleher gets far too much unwarranted grief, yeah Allison might be best goalkeeper in the world but he wasn’t any use in the 17 games he missed.

At Kelleher’s age Alisson signed for Liverpool as the most expensive goalkeeper of all time.

It’s not giving him grief to say he’s Kelleher’s not good enough to be our #1. He’s fine as a backup. You are correct that Alisson wasn’t any use when he was injured, that’s why I said loaning Kelleher out doesn’t make any sense to me.

1 Like

If Kelleher wants to move on to play more, that’s reasonable. He has paid his dues, and is now past the stage of understudy and should be looking to grow his career.

If we think he has a chance in the future of being Alisson’s successor, we should work to insert a buyback clause.

If we think he will grow and improve in value as a goalkeeper, potentially making a big move to another top team, we should work to insert a sell on percentage fee.

He seems past the stage of a loan move. We know he is a good keeper. What we don’t know is how good will he become? Solid Prem level? Or upper Prem level, perhaps even challenging to be the very best in the world? If there’s any chance of that, we should try to insert the sort of clauses mentioned above.

1 Like

I would imagine after this season’s appearance numbers, that Adrian is a last-resort option and Kelleher is the #2. not a bad place for him to be as he is shadowing one of the world’s best.

If Trafford is having a price of 20m. That should be Kelleher’s price too , even probably a bit more.

Which top / mid clubs really are lacking for goalkeepers ?

I can see clubs with European ambitions in Germany taking him but don’t really see any PL club having that vacancy.

I think there are a few who could look at him as an upgrade and a longer term solution than what they have.

West Ham, Bournemouth, Forest, Brighton and even maybe Newcastle could be in the market for a new number one where Kelleher is probably better than their current options.

Not sure about the promoted clubs but I’d bet he’s an improvement on anything those three have. Then there’s Celtic who lost Joe Hart who was there number one last season.

There’s not a clear and obvious option but I think they’d be a few suitors at the £20m mark who’d see him as a potentially a number one for the next 5-10 years.

You’d think he’d certainly be seen as a better option than Trafford at a similar kind of fee.

1 Like

Time to take the plunge.

Having read TIA’s article on players who on loan in the season just gone, here’s what I think.

Nunez - 50 million
Konate - 40 million
Kelleher - 22 million
Carvalho - 20 million
Tsimikas - 15 million
Phillips - 4.5 million
Morton - 7.5 million
Beck - 1.5 million
Koumetio - 1 million
Williams - 1 million

Clearly, I think Salah will stay for his final season and I’m gambling on Nunez being sold. Personally, I don’t think he has the necessary intelligence, footballing or otherwise, to improve his game and start scoring more goals.

Konate is overrated IMO and he had a pretty poor end to the season. He has expressed a desire to play for PSG so if they make an offer, I think we should accept. With van den Berg we would still have four CBs although we would need to buy an experienced player to replace Matip.

I was tempted to keep Carvalho, but I’m guessing that after Slot has seen the players in pre-season, he’ll probably decide that one of Dom, Curtis, Harvey or Carvalho has to go and my guess is it’ll be the one for whom I didn’t use the first name.

So that’s 162.5 million. I’ve no idea who we’ll spend it on but I know it won’t be Mbappe.

Diaz - 75M
Gomez - 35M
Kelleher - 18M
VDB - 19M
Phillips - .5M to make the old guy happy
Williams - 2.4M
Beck - 1.5M

Diaz or Nunez going to get sacrificed on the LW this summer. Too many types that play there not enough balance.

1 Like

Something that should be factored in is that Pickford is heavily tipped to leave Everton this summer. I don’t imagine that there would be a straight transaction of us selling to them, but it could spark a bit of a game of musical chairs that opens up a spot in another prem side.

1 Like

Undisclosed fees don’t count.

I’ll do what I want

1 Like

I don’t think he will though. He faces more shots on target when he’s keeping for Everton. He needs to face those shots in order to get his stats up(in order to play for England). The English coaches for some reason always seem to prefer a goalkeeper playing for a lesser team rather than a goalkeeper playing for a stronger one.

1 Like

Kelleher is better than Pope but Newcastle have made a sizable investment in Pope , one they aren’t going to write off anytime soon.

Forest is probably too much of a step down for Kelleher.

Brighton’s keeper Steele isn’t better than Kelleher but you get the feeling that Brighton wouldn’t spend the money for a keeper. That’s just unlike them to spend 25m or so that it would cost to get Kelleher over. It would be the perfect club for him though.

Bournemouth, West ham & crystal palace might well be the clubs that Kelleher might be approached for.

If I was advising Kelleher , I’d be looking at clubs like RB Leipzig , Borussia Dortmund and probably even Leverkusen too. All the three clubs use keepers the way he’s grown up playing and he’ll thrive there with the potential upside of Champions League football as well. I do think Xabi will be looking to upgrade Leverkusen’s keeper for the next season.

1 Like

Brighton’s number 1 is Bart Verbruggen, not Steele, and he was a sizeable investment who has done okay for a 21 year old GK.

Di Zerbi just rotates for the fun of it. One of the reasons I never liked him as a candidate for Liverpool.

3 Likes

Most of the matches I’ve seen Brighton play, it was with Steele starting. I didn’t see enough of Brighton this season though.

Just checked, Steele played 17 matches in the PL the last season. That’s a huge number of matches that a #2 keeper plays if the #1 keeper is fit and ready to go.

Yeah Di Zerbi sucks. Doesn’t trust young players even when they are more talented than the experienced pro. Brighton has a tonne of young players that kind of forced his hand in that regard but he was always looking to crowbar in the old players - including at GK.

2 Likes

Reading between the lines of his sacking , it seems that his insistence on Dahoud was one of the key factors. He clearly doesn’t want to go by Bloom’s diktats.

1 Like

Please note that the deadline is being brought forward to Sunday 9th June at 18:00.

For some reason, I can no longer edit post #395, so please note this important change.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Diaz 70M
Gomez 30M
Kelleher 20M
Carvalho 18M
Sepp VdB 15M
Tsimikas 12M
Morton 8M
Philipps 3M
Williams 1M
Koumetio 1M

1 Like

Once we’ve posted our odes, can we amend them?