Mohamed SALAH: 2022/23

Not sure he is still cutting inside with that favourite move of his the shot is just hitting row z instead of the net.

Wasnā€™t it his agent that put a thumbs up e-moji when it was announced Sadio was leaving LFCā€¦ Didnā€™t seem to bother him that there would be some disruption to follow for his client.
MO really does need to get back to some sort of form because his crap displays are becoming the norm and may well begin to overshadow and outnumber his once elite performances.
If Jurgen knows a disrupted front-line has an adverse effect on Moā€¦ then maybe he would probably bench him if he had someone that could dovetail better with these disruptions thenā€¦
Some games it has been like playing with ten men when he has been so ineffectual

His underlying stats were the same in the second half of the season as the first, only his finishing was off. Which makes sense given how long his season was.

Itā€™s only been this season that heā€™s fallen off a lot more.

I think the point is that there isnā€™t anyone who could do that, and that our team always suffers from this anyway. Itā€™s not just unique to him. We have been having problems with this over the last few seasons, itā€™s nothing new. Last season it was the midfield in the first half of the season, and the season before it was both the defence and the midfield, when Fabinho was shifted to plug the holes.

1 Like

Well, that today from him was next level. One thing is to miss shots off target, another thing is to play badly overall. This was back to Salah from last spring.

And yet he created good movement (but poor finishing) and set up some nice crossing/passing options into the danger areas in the first half. Heā€™s no where near what form he can be, but today he was better than the last couple of matches.

Klopp keeping a forward front three doesnā€™t make sense to me (first Ox playing all those games on the left, then Elliot in a couple).

A front two with an extra body in midfield would help fill in the leaks, and allow Salah to be more of an inside forward. The Gakpo experiment in the middle hasnā€™t worked.

1 Like

I thought Gapko did well today though. You could see the sense in why Klopp wanted him through the middle. He dropped off, got the ball to feet and then used the ball wisely from that position. He has looked better in that role than he has on the left, where he tends to look isolated and uninvolved. It is maybe notable that Mo had more opportunities in behind today than weā€™ve seen for a while and you have to think that was connected to the way Gapko dropped off and forced their defenders to track him leaving those spaces in behind for Mo to run into

4 Likes

I agree, it was better from Mo at least he got in those positions and I thought he helped out defensively a lot more, but he had 2 great chances and messed up.

He does need to improve his right foot though

1 Like

When do you see that happening considering heā€™s 30?

1 Like
1 Like

Weā€™ve seen this several times before.

MLS only improved once it ditched this full scale and the Chinese league attempted it but with potentially still top talent unlike past it players.

Saying that we might still be able to get a bit for him in a years time.

1 Like

This lends support to what I was saying before about the underlying numbers. Itā€™s interesting though how he used to rather regularly outperform on goalscoring, but has barely done so at all this season.

2 Likes

Also seems to start in the middle of last season, something consistent with the observations that the Mo who came back from AFCON was different.

2 Likes

I didnt want us to break the wage structure and pay him $350k and his performances this season are nowhere near that figure and for me he has now been pretty poor for 12 months since the loss in the afcon.

Yes he has come up with goals but not at the rate he did and he his a shadow of the player he was.

I never disputed that the Salah who came back from AFCON was different, Iā€™ve always stated that itā€™s not so much everything else heā€™s doing (as evidenced by that xG stat for example), but his finishing has been way off. The bigger drop-off is at the start of this season.

2 Likes

Agree did score only 6 out is 23 overthrew season.

Having said that today was a prime example how you can commit fouls on him. Sick of it

Should we sell Salah if we get a Ā£80-100 million offer for him in the summer?

If any club is stupid enough to offer that, given the fact that heā€™s been crap for a year now, Iā€™d bite their arm off.

4 Likes

Yes. Itā€™s a no-brainer. Heā€™ll be 31 on the same day that Iā€™ll be 64, and if anyone offers us that kind of money for a 31 year old then we should snatch their hand off. But thereā€™s only club in Europe thatā€™s likely to make such an offer and somebody big would have to leave there first. PSG, that is.

As long as Ā£200m of that Ā£80-100m goes into the Ā£250m war chest, which leaves us with a Ā£600m of which Ā£750m needs to go into the midfield. :thinking:

In short, yes.