Mohamed SALAH: 2022/23

He’s always lost possession quite frequently…because he’s the only damn player at the moment trying to make stuff happen and take risks and he’s playing with a lot of frustration at the minute. Granted.

You say he hasn’t been involved enough in games for the majority…that may well be true but is that all 100% Mo’s fault? and also this is the only reason why now we notice this more. (the losing of possession)

How many times does he lose possession when a pass is on and just dribbles into a player or multiple players, he is too easy to read, when at his best he mixed it up, with some great pass and move play, now he is trying to do it all himself and losing possession.

How many times did you used to see Trent overlap in the past, heaps, now it doesn’t happen, maybe it is tactics but IMO one of the reasons is that Trent got fed up doing it and not receiving the ball

I find it quite hard to condemn him on that one match. If it was losing possession 15 times in a game where we won comfortably it’d be a lot more worrying.

That match however, was a complete shitshow and the culmination of our collective failure to (a) complete passes, and (b) move to where passes may be made.

It isn’t just one match he has consistently done it this season, his decision making is eschew to when he was a real menace, he is trying to do to much and slowing us down before losing the ball

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like you’re confusing the occasions? I do know that he doesn’t really have any support near him to complete the short passes that used to be so lethal any more, and that he usually used to make the right decisions when he had that support.

If he was meeting an owner of a another club then it’s illegal isn’t it?

No I am not watch how many times he plays a 1 touch pass, it is you that is confusing the occasions, he just isn’t at a $350/wk level atm and nowhere near his peak, but that could be said for a lot of players. For me he plays his best when him and Bobby play closer to each other

He’s always lost the ball a fair bit, and I think a lot of the problem he had earlier in the season was that he wasn’t making it to the positions he needed to be in to be effective, so the passing options that he had were sub-optimal regardless.

My main criticism of him this season is actually that his finishing and dribbling seem a lot worse than they used to be, not so much his decision-making. This means that it’s quite easy for opponents to shut him down this season; just cut off all his passing options.

That only applies if it’s Klopp in Blackpool.

You are actually saying what I have said, he is too easily to shut down as he is making the wrong options, especially dribbling and once he has decided to dribble, the pass isn’t on and even when he does pass, it is on many occasions delayed with too many touches.

Depends on what the meeting was about,

Like I say for me he’s always been guilty of losing possession and trying to overplay by himself…he’s attempted it many times in the past and on few occasions it came off. (The goal v Everton, the goal v City, I think there was 1 at Watford too) where he’s been able to dribble…stop and then dribble into a bit of space before scoring…this season it’s rarely come off if at all. Regarding the link up play with Trent…I’ve never seen Trent as an attacking full back in style of Robbo where he’s mostly on the overlap…Trent has the ability Robbo doesn’t quite have where he can deliver a ball onto the head of Nunez or a Jota from seemingly any position on the pitch so I don’t see that as a fault on Mo’s part.

It’s absurd to me people would sell him…he’s still our top joint top goalscorer in the league (alongside Bobby-our top goalscorer with 17 in all comps) and 2nd highest assist provider (behind only Robbo)

I’m disagreeing that the pass is on for him to make, most of the time. Obviously it’s not anywhere close to being factually accurate, but I don’t recall many occasions where I thought that he was being daft and should have passed instead, simply because we haven’t offered him the options to do so.

My main thesis of why our play isn’t working is that we’re not making the movement to make the passes we need. All our movement is off, and our passing is just terrible, which I also think makes our movement off, since players anticipate that the pass will not be fast enough, or accurate enough, so they don’t move into the required positions. How often have we seen this season (and this is eerily similar to 2020-21) that the intended recipient of the pass ends up having to double back to the position he was in 3 seconds before because the pass just wasn’t right? Then gradually you get players who don’t bother moving faster than that, because why do that when you won’t get the pass?

That’s another problem Salah has had this season, in that he’s not been playing sufficiently forward enough to take advantage of any of our longer passes forward (which are usually over or underhit anyway so…).

All our team play is off, and I don’t think Salah is the problem here.

Difference is I watch it when a player makes a lung busting run gets in a great position and is ignored for the said player who tries to beat 2 players on a dribble. I find it hard to watch and being the player making that run, soul destroying and frustrating when the hard option is selected over and easy pass.

Mo is choosing this same option most times and it becomes easy for defenders as they know what he is trying to do, even when dribbling if he went on the outside and used his right foot more it would cause doubt in the defenders mind. He is too predictable at the moment and also becoming too selfish

Stats from the Forest game so this isn’t just a one off

Salah vs Nottingham Forest stats:

Total touches: 22

Attempted passes: 6

Successful passes: 4

Pass accuracy: 66.7%

Key passes: 1

Total shots: 4

Shots on target: 2

Dispossessed by opponent: 5

Dribbles: 0

Tackles: 0

Interceptions: 0

I don’t think Mo is just the issue and totally agree on our passing which if you see is one of the reasons why we need good all round and athletic midfield players as our passing is below par apart from Thiago, who at times is also making mistakes cos like Mo he is trying to do too much.

My whole take on Mo is that he is taking the wrong option and isn’t nowhere near the threat he was and he is now way too predictable.

I mean these stats suggest that he was doing a whole lot of passing and shooting and not a lot of dribbling though? Your original point was that he was doing a lot of dribbling and losing it while doing so, but not passing.

I can’t find any similar statistics from last season, but I’m willing to bet that it wouldn’t look that much different in how often he gets dispossessed. We just tend to overlook that when he’s actually able to score/create.

No it isn’t. It’s absolutely not absurd in the context of the club being criticised for allowing players to enter their decline on Liverpool’s books.

Mo Salah is still a great footballer, and I been saying for ages when we talk about who is the greatest footballer in our entire history, Mo Salah’s name should be in that conversation.

But all players decline. All of them. To me it looks an awful lot like Mo Salah is starting his. He looks a shadow of his former self, by which I the player prior to going to AFCON who was legitimately the best player on the planet. He is missing chances he would have buried. He looks slower, and he looks devoid of ideas.

I don’t know what data the boffin’s computers are spitting out on Mo. Fingers crossed he will snap back into form and reassure me that he is the player I thought he was - a lad who would play at the very top until 37/38. But if there is a suggesting that this funk, which has gone on for over a year, is permanent, I’m not kicking off if we pull the trigger.

2 Likes

He got dispossessed 5 times and no dribbles which are successful ones!

Also just cos you have 4 shots and 2 on target it doesn’t mean they are good shots!

I didn’t say they were good ones, didn’t I just say above that his finishing has been below his standards this season?

I don’t see how that contradicts my point? Again, the original point I was arguing against was your suggestion that

but my point was that he hasn’t been trying to do it all himself, he just hasn’t had any good options.

Yes it is, the only reason the club get criticized for that is because we rely on player sales to fund new transfers.

Absolute agree with you.

Even so he’s still been our best player this season along with Ali. Let’s not pretend Mo missing chances is new. He’s still on course to hitting 30 goals this season…asking him to play at the very top until 37/38 is a bit much…very select few players are capable of doing that, 34/35 maybe and that’s at a push.