Naby KEITA: 2021/22

He’s a Liverpool midfielder. That makes him a breed apart in terms of what he’s being tasked with and the demands on his body. I think there’s a chance his time with us can still take a trajectory a bit like Chelsea’s Jorginho. Crap and not up to EPL speed> underrated by everyone but the managers> key player.

I wonder how much of this view is drawn from that awful performance against Read Madrid last season? Think he’s generally very good on terms of positioning and discipline whenever he’s played. Unless the positioning you refer to is his position on the injury table all the time!

1 Like

Partly from that game yes, where he looked completely lost to me.

There has been plenty of other instances that have caught my eye as well to be honest. Injuries have been his main issue for certain but there is more I think.

The game at the weekend was the first time I’ve seen him plugging a hole at the back when the full back pushed on. So credit is due there.

it’s my opinion. Pretty sure Klopp may see it different as will others on here.

2 Likes

I think it’s mad that on the whole we haven’t really worked out that our midfield is not generally where the showboating, eye catching, MOTD performances happen. We had this with Hendo, Gini, Milner etc.

If a player puts in a MOTM in our midfield, they have been truly exceptional.

2 Likes

Only one match and Naby put in a decent performance yet I still ask when will he fall of the cliff or get injured?
i’m happy for him and he has instilled a bit more belief in me of him but it’s still a long way to go.

1 Like

I think we all want him to stay fit but its only been 1 game. There is another potential 60+ games so lets not get carried away.
The issue is when he gets injured its never a week or two - its 2 months.

2 Likes

again with alot of discussions online, the truth is somewhere in between the 2 perspectives thrown around. Keita is not our next saviour just base on one game but he did have a good pre-season for us and did pretty ok in the first game. And we all know that if he keeps fit, he will be a good asset for us in this coming season and hopefully he can fulfill some of that potential we saw in him.

1 Like

Bit of a strawman given no one has argued that.

1 Like

Keita has a good pre-season, a good opening fixture and still all the comments are about his past performances, injuries, downplaying an obviously fine performance.

Really weird discussion tbh. He had a good game, surely that can be acknowledged without dredging up a load of negative stuff.

12 Likes

Says the man that accused Millie and AOC of being rubbish. :roll_eyes:

I thought he had a good game without really doing anything amazing.

But 1 good game won’t etch his pretty dreadful record for us over the past 2-3 years

The cold weather seems to hinder him somehow…

I’d like to see more of that from him short term to be honest. Build from there afterwards.

Even being available for selection regularly would be a big bonus.

4 Likes

Dare I say anything… actually no I won’t. Just stay fit Naby laaaad.

3 Likes

He was quietly very good, his pressing is excellent.

4 Likes

Yeah. And there’s a lot more to come from him I believe. Waiting for him to start banging in some of those now…

4 Likes

Great if he can chip in with a goal here and there, yes. But if he can just do the solid Gini-like job he’s doing now, I think that’s perfectly fine as well.

2 Likes

Just
Stay
Fit

1 Like

New Naby Keita song sung as the Pogue’s Navigator:

The triumphs and trophies, the leagues and cups,

Our team has won with their skill and their guts,

They never walked alone but always with us

And Anfield rang with our songs and chants.

So Naby Keita - - - Naby Keita stand up and be strong

Saturday’s here and there’s work to be done

Pick your passes and tackles and be bold in the fight

To assist and score goals for the kop’s delight

To assist and score goals for the Kop’s delight

7 Likes