Ex-player: Naby KEITA

This feels like a confirmation of what we’ve already suspected - his time at Liverpool is quite likely done. The only issue is that he’s our fourth most expensive player ever and that is likely 50+ million pounds plus wages down the drain (not quite Pogba level but still…).

We’ve always had one supremely talented player whose legs were made of glass but it seems as though Klopp’s Liverpool sides always have at least two (Sturridge and Lallana at first, now Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Matip, Gomez and Alcantara - I just wonder who else will join that list). It’s a crying shame as I really, really wanted the club to sign Lallana and him and thought they would be massive players for us.

3 Likes

His exclusion from the CL squad means he’s out until November because that’s when the last group game is. I suppose it is feasible he might return after the World Cup, but I think it is more likely he is done here and for whatever reason we won’t see him much, if at all, during the last year of his contract. The one positive is at least he didn’t sign that new contract we allegedly offered him. That never made any sense to me given his availability.

2 Likes

Really harsh to include Gomez on that list.

I’m not sure why you and anyone else would use it as an indication that Keïta’s time here is likely done though. If anything it only goes to suggest the seriousness of his latest injury, rather than the supposed throwing the toys out of the pram like some people on here would believe.

1 Like

No disrespect meant to either player but Gomez has already missed the equivalent of three to four entire seasons in his time at Liverpool (and he’s been here for seven seasons, going on eighth if I’m not mistaken).

As for Keita, his contract is up next summer, he’s started the season with disputes over new contract and with an injury that will likely sideline him for around three months and he’s been unavailable for at least that much every season. He’s thus been excluded from our CL squad - if that’s not an indicator that his time here might be coming to a close, then I really don’t know what would make you think that way. Unless he accepts some pay-as-you-play type of contract, I don’t see how he remains here after the next summer.

3 Likes

Yeah it is. Everything pointed to him being the ideal Klopp midfielder. Thing is, he had a bad injury record at Salzburg as well but it got even worse with us, understandable as we are a high velocity, high impact league.

I don’t remember if I read it on Twitter bullshit or some place more respectable, but there seem to be rumor that he/his agent was demanding a handsome raise as well as guaranteed playing time.

Bajcetic is the 17th non-homegrown player in the squad. With Milly, Hendo, Carv and Gomez being named as our 4 association trained players, there isnt room for Ox or Naby unless we deregistered Bajcetic. That doesnt necessarily mean that neither will be back before the end of the group stage, just that they are expected to miss enough of the group stage games to justify giving the spot to the Spaniard.

With the rules in the league being a bit different (both Carv and Bajcetic would be on the kids list) there would be room to register both of them in the Prem.

5 Likes

Mostly from major contact injuries.

I think there were reports that he was offered a new contract and they’re in negotiation, I’m unaware there’s been anything else bar one dodgy rumour from Germany?

He’s been excluded because of the injury, so how does that relate to being an indicator? The club, in offering him a new contract, will most likely have already assessed his physical condition and probability of getting a new injury. It’s not like it’s big news.

So basically, once again, fans getting baited successfully by “journalists”.

I don’t believe any of it.

He missed 9 games over 3 seasons due to injury with Salzburg? Not sure where you’re getting a bad injury record from…

1 Like

I haven’t said that those are factual information, I merely pointed out the rumors I have heard.

Yes, and I didn’t say you believed it nor that it was factual. I’m just pointing out that once again, people are getting baited by “journalists” who know that any sort of controversy or rumours makes for good drama, and therefore clicks/views, and therefore more revenue.

1 Like

You are right though. I barely notice Twitter let alone sharing information from Twitter. Fact is I’m just pissed. I know it’s not his fault and by all accounts (or the lack of thereof) Naby leads a disciplined life, so it’s not even his lifestyle that’s contributing to his fitness. But for a club like us, it’s really frustrating to accept the meager returns on such hefty investments.

2 Likes

That Madrid game in 2021 looks like the beginning of the end for him. He had found some form and fitness and then went off after a really awkward fall that tweaked something in his hip. He then played for Guniea that summer and made the injury worse after getting some very sub par treatment. He’s never been reliably fit and on form since.

It’s a delicate subject, but I wonder if we, or others, will take that as a lesson - be weary of players who are superstars for weak and financially poor teams? If Naby was Senegalese he maybe doesnt play in those games because they have other players to fill in. If he was Brazilian does he get better treatment with the team after showing up with a niggle?

3 Likes

Absolutely, when you’re spending 50 million you have to take every consideration.

Keita can never refuse to play for Guinea, realistically. He’s their talisman and by far their best player, would the people there really be understanding if he started ruling himself of squads every other international break?

It’s an awful lot of pressure and responsibility. The other benefit to signing a Brazilian specifically (not quite your point I know) is that they’re likely to miss a lot of international football/not get picked even if they’re mustard.

2 Likes

As a Welshman I say fuck Giggs, but is the example that proves the rule. His willingness to sit out our games was so galling because of how unusual and blatant it was

1 Like

But you can’t do that anymore, can you? You have to play if you are selected for NT.

This exactly. Bigger teams have such a deep pool that only the established players are called regularly.

5th season at the club, well done, still hasn’t kicked a straight ball, utter dog shit.

Not sure that was a dodgy source - the guy in question called Mane’s transfer to Bayern before any other source.

I think that Keita had probably been offered a new contract but on terms that he deemed unsuitable, therefore he didn’t sign it. With his latest injury that led to exclusion from club’s CL list, I think that the possibility of him signing on will be even smaller. There are only so many injuries that the club can tolerate from one player and it’s not like he was irreplaceable whenever he played. Also, he might feel hurt because of that (pun not intended) and accept that it’s best for him to move on. Just which club will take him with his injury record remains to be seen.

1 Like