Nathaniel PHILLIPS: 2021/22 (on loan at Bournemouth)

[quote=“sandsoftime, post:100, topic:1129, full:true”]

In 17/18 we played the same way in the league and CL against these. Loads of energy, they couldn’t handle it.

Won’t have the crowd behind us this time but I don’t see a reason to change it. Phillips getting isolated by Torres or Sterling doesn’t sound like a recipe for success to me tbh. There’s no way we can squeeze them up the pitch with him in the back 4 without exposing ourselves massively, not to mention he’ll be put under a lot of pressure with the ball.

7 Likes

They seem to have a better defence these days that can spring a quick counter…

Not quicker than most we have faced. I’d go with Hendo and Fabinho end of the day, no qualms for him to start Brighton mind

2 Likes

"My player to watch this week is…

I like the young man, who came in at centre-back for Liverpool.

He came on at half-time against Spurs and played really well. He then played against West Ham alongside Jordan Henderson, who I think has been outstanding. Some of the things he is doing. If Virgil van Dijk was doing it, people would be purring about it. He has played so well at the back, he has surprised me a lot.

Jurgen Klopp will look at Nat Phillips’ performances against Tottenham and West Ham, and think this kid might suit a period of time and he might play him back-to-back. I am interested to see if Jurgen does that and how the boy responds. Can he get that consistency that all managers want? That is the test and I am hoping he can do it."

3 Likes

I like Hoddle, think he’s often got real quality as an ex-player to understand and explain some really fine details which many other people can’t. But maybe sometimes he warms more to cases like these. I remember Sam Clucas, think he was part of his academy in Spain or something, when Sam was without a club. Then found a path again. Maybe he sees in Nat something similar, someone who almost gave up on football, but now has a chance of a decent contract at lower level this summer.

2 Likes

I for one would have no qualms to see Nat start against City. But if Fab is back, Klopp will probably go with him and Hendo, I agree with that. But if he isn’t back, there will be no choice but to start him and I’m quite sure that he can do well against them.

Maybe he’s the better option even if Fab is back, as it would allow the latter to play at the number 6 position, where he’s best anyway. Also, I’m not sure about playing Fab and Hendo together against such formidable opposition. We have been very poor with these two at the back lately, because they lack the automatisms in this position.

For me, Nat deserves to get a run to see if he can maintain a high level of consistency throughout.

3 Likes

I think I would second that (retaining Nat in defense against City on the assumption that Fabinho is back)… unless Nat’s performance versus Brighton changes my thoughts.

At the end of the day, against City, I would prefer an experienced CB who is performing well and offers different qualities… over Henderson who has limited experience in the CB role and could offer us so much in midfield. Phillips did excellent against Son Heung-Min and he offers far more in many defensive aspects so I’m not too worried about what City will throw at him.

Whereas… I think a midfield of Henderson, Gini and Thiago would allow us to go head-to-head with them in midfield.

2 Likes

What is his contract situation?

1 Like

June 30, 2021

1 Like

I find this rather surprising. I’m sure that the club wouldn’t be that careless.

We already went through this…

The official site will always call everything long-term. I asked Pearce on The Athletic in a Q&A what about Phillips and Larouci, both who are out of contract next summer.

If it is a mistake, I wouldn’t expect us to get much of a fee anyway. Nat is in a weird situation. He’ll be 24 soon. I doubt we’d give him a proper long term deal. It’s not the same situation as a “Grujic” or whoever.

1 Like

He would actually be a great signing for Burnley.

3 Likes

No need for that :frowning_face:

Nat seems like a really decent guy why inflict Dyche on him.

5 Likes

Nat is obviously going at the end of the season. And that’s fine. He’s 24 and need regularly football. I don’t think anyone is going to be fuming we haven’t got a fee.

2 Likes

Yeah. You have cases where we agree on a new deal, just before going out on loan, even if all parties know that player probably won’t play again for Liverpool (or that chances are slim). Phillips is a different case. What’s the point of giving him a contract that is taking him nearer to his 30’s. He’s not a player for this level, everything that happened until now is a real nice story. It will be time for him to go somewhere else on a proper contract and proper playing time. So he can earn himself a living and enjoy his football.

All jokes aside, he is perfect for their system and Dyche - despite being the human form of Brexit football - does seem to inspire a loyalty in his players.

3 Likes

What was Pearce’s answer? It’s possible the club have an option for a further year, I suppose.

Whether we get a fee for him or not, as and when he ultimately moves on, he’s repaid the club plenty by his performances through what has unquestionably been a crisis.

1 Like

It was a few months ago, before January. Larouci was always on the “transfer list” anyway, but I was interested how we would deal with Nat’s situation, as he’s one who was more needed and useful here and there. Pearce didn’t have a detailed answer other than he didn’t dispute the fact that both of them are free in the summer of 2021 and will be leaving the club. What happened in the meantime and if there is some sort of +1 option in Nat’s contract, I don’t know. Hence why also Klopp said that Nat was very close to going to Swansea near the end of last summer’s transfer window (something changed on Swansea’s side and it broke down), it was our opportunity to finally sell him and get a certain fee.

2 Likes

Even if we’d agree a new deal for him, in order to secure our position looking at a sale… I don’t think he’s the right example (like some other players out on loan, Grujic, not to mention Awoniyi, who we can’t even use because of his work permit) nor there would be much money involved. We had the “luck” (it’s just circumstances) that there was a very inexperienced ultimately not good enough but solid enough 23/24-year old who could help us a little bit.

2 Likes