OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

But did he merely forget or did he make a conscious decision not to check? :thinking:

5 Likes

The thread does go on to highlight an anomaly in the rules with regard fouls in the box without actually being in possession of the ball, which may, or may not have over ruled the offside assessment. What a mess but thankfully the right decision was reached.

Overall though it just highlights what a complete shambles it is and their efforts to hide the utter incompetence of those in charge of games and VAR is actually doing the opposite.

I meant the goal line technology not VAR.

4 Likes

After yesterday, reading that has not helped my mood.

2 Likes

Newcastle game at the end of 2020. VAR won’t get involved as “Mane didn’t go down”. Basically, the incentive structure of VAR/Prem refs is structured in such a way that cheaters do indeed prosper. All hail Bruno Penandes,

8 Likes

And if he goes down he will be called a cheat

7 Likes

3 Likes

So…jazz hands are obviously allowed now. They make this shit up as they go along.

In the Burnley - Arse game today, Matt Lowton had his hand stuck out, and no pen as well. Anyone have any idea what the rule is this week?

IN the Chelsea game, VAR took all of about 3 seconds to deem Kante was perfectly in his rights to do what he did.

3 Likes

Kante’s hand is higher than his shoulder…!
How can that be deemed ‘natural position’…
Never in my lifetime have I ever seen an athlete run, nor come to a stop, when his hands are as high this guys are…
When looking in the Oxford dictionary it states… Atkinson = Cheat…!
In the slang dictionary it states… Atkinson = Fuckin Cheating Bastard…!

2 Likes

Yeah I said it’s a penalty but we won’t get it, one just now in the Villa game that VAR seemed to spend more time on and his arm was tucked in.

1 Like

Fascinating.

This in particular, why all the secrecy? These guys aren’t dating each other so why the need for all the “intimacy”.

“I think, at this stage, no I wouldn’t [like it],” Mike Riley, PGMOL managing director, told Sky Sports News in 2019. "I think we want to maintain the privacy, the intimacy, of conversations that take place between players and referees on the field of play. In time, in making sure that everyone understands decisions, you can see a rationale for it. But we’re not there yet.

3 Likes

If Mr Burns AKA Mike Riley doesn’t want us to hear what is said between referees and players, then I am fine with that… BUT, let us listen what gets said between officials and VAR decisions is all we ask.!

3 Likes

It’s weird because they were often interviewed on the big match live, well from what I’ve seen from the revisited programmes.

I don’t think players and managers should be fined if they say the ref was wrong, if the ref is protected from giving his side of events.

2 Likes

Another day, another VAR mess. Foden obviously fouled by McCarthy. VAR deems it not a clear and obvious error.

Said it many times and will say it again, the Prem actively encourages cheating. Go down at the slightest whiff of contact, and get a pen (not for Salah or Mane naturally).

4 Likes

It’s a long thread that I don’t currently have the time to post.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t really have changed much last night it was pretty tight anyhow.

3 Likes

The idea of an instant flag that could have stopped the injury yesterday is obviously never going to work. If they blow up, everyone stops, then at the end of the game everyone says “that wasn’t offside blah blah blah” and the game falls into a further shambles, on the basis that someone might have avoided a serious injury (don’t know that statistical odds). Its a contact sport, and injuries are part of the game, including some very serious ones to the head. I’m certainly not suggesting that we should take head injuries lightly, but there are some things that are just part of a contact sport.

On the semi autonomous offside thread, in short, it tracks key points of the body (skeletel - so top of head, shoulders, elbows, knees, feet etc) and if it works, would provide instant results. It would provide more accuracy, so there’s mention of spirit of the game on marginal decisions. But wherever you draw that line, it creates a margin. If it works, get it going. Anything is better than VAR officials using MS Paint to draw lines across images.

6 Likes

Yup still don’t see how it works yesterday, does a siren go off in the stadium? The linesman will have to react and I’m not sure how he does.

Simple way is to go if it’s a clear part of the body or if VAR bloke sees on the image that it’s on or off.

Ban those lines, I’ve not seen them elsewhere

2 Likes

Agree.

The gripe is not that Salah offside, which was close and the play only went on for about 3 seconds. The stupidity is when there is an OBVIOUS offside, with the player a good 5 yards off, and the assistant allows a foot race for the other defenders to close in…only to flag once the phase of play ends.

Get rid of that shit, and no one would have an issue with marginal offsides being allowed to play out.

5 Likes