OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

Do we really need to do this every time? To produce a 2D image from a 3D algorithm some of the lines end up being shown as not being perpendicular. The higher up the body one of the landmarks used are and the further away the 2 players are the greater the deviation there will appear to be.

There are a ton of issues with the way tight decisions like this made with VAR, but continuing to focus on something that is on its face dumb (for the money spend on this, you really think they are manually drawing a wonky line) only distracts from the real issues.

3 Likes

I’ve done a cursory search for details of how long VAR checks take for each club and haven’t been able to find such information; I strongly suspect that our decisions take longer than anybody else’s as the powers that be desperately try to find something- anything- to use against us.

Has anybody found this particular stat anywhere? :thinking:

2 Likes

These lines should be pre set and not down to some tweedle fucking dumb to come up with it because the result will be different everytime.

VAR is a fucking state

2 Likes

Having said that hats off to other sports… tennis and rugby immediately spring to mind on how well their technology use is.

Fucking state on football at the moment

1 Like

Isn’t it the other way around? Aren’t they trying to synthesise a stereoscopic representation from a single 2D image which, as far as I can determine, is impossible to do with any precision.

And, if there is any radial distortion, it increases the further the object is placed away from the centre of the lens - so the line to Jota should be closer to the perpendicular than that of the line to the villa defender.

Putting all of that aside for a moment, as it impossible to see when Trent actually strikes the ball (his foot is obscured by a Liverpool player) how can VAR know which frame to use?

7 Likes

Well that’s easy. The correct frame to use is the one where VAR has to fudge the lines the least.

As for the length of time Liverpool VARs take I bet the average is equivalent to everyone else’s. That’s because they either take munutes or they’re seemingly completed before there’s even been time for a replay. It’s bullshit.

3 Likes

After the Everton game and penalty awarded for running into Trent and then the ref pretending to go and relook at the screen, I have lost all hope. Technology is the least of the problem here.

2 Likes

Pretty much established now that he was checking whether accidental or deliberate on Trent’s part hence his cursory look. He could quickly see it was an accidental slip so no red card.

The check was for a red card not whether a penalty or not

1 Like

But was it a penalty? In my book it wasn’t and hence the check should have been for both.

2 Likes

We have had some dodgy decisions this season but in my view that wasn’t one of them. Trent slipped in front of him and impeded him getting to the ball so by the laws of the game that is a penalty. Take Trent out the frame and he has a clear chance to score.

An accidental foul is still a foul.

1 Like

You are not required to get out of the way of the forward. There are two separate plays there. First is the one where Trent goes to the ground to try to block the initial shot and there is no foul there. The second starts with trent already lying on the floor. He has no requirement to get out of Calvert lewin’s way as he tries to go for the rebound and so if the striker trips in trying to jump over the prone defender, then that is no more of a foul than a striker running straight into a CB standing still and falling over.

I think the issue that caused the ref to go to the monitor was to see if the flick out trent did with his leg was what caused the trip. If it had, then it would have been deemed a red card (no footballing play preventing the denial of a goal scoring opportunity). The ref saw CL was already falling before Trent flicked his leg out so didnt give it a red, but still seemingly thought that kneeing a prone defender in the back of the head is a faoul against the attacker.

No, you just start one step earlier. They identify points on a 2D image manually, the algorithm then interprets that in 3D and automatically applies the lines back into a 2D image in ways that are not always intuitive. As I have said many times, it is such a bad system, but none of the reasons for that include guys in the VAR drawing squiggly lines.

4 Likes

We’ll keep doing it as long as this fucking bullshit is going on.

It’s fucking corrupt. From the frame that the referee chooses the use, to the way that they choose to draw the lines, and thus manipulate reality. It’s transparently a bloke in front of screen deciding whether he thinks it’s on or off, and then laying and relaying lines on the screen to confirm his own initial feeling.

4 Likes

Yelling criticisms that are patently ridiculous and been discredited over and over. Cool. Cool.

As I said, its a shit system that is giving us outcomes no one asked for when discussing improving the game. We don’t need to make up additional reasons to be critical of it.

2 Likes

All the cameras are calibrated, so they use the camera with a view of the ball and choose a frame as a staring point. Then all the other cameras then use that very same start point.

So that’s not the problem.

I hate the way they choose the point on the sleeve. That part is open to interpretation and I bet if you get 10 refs in a room, most of them would choose a slightly different sleeve point, and in tight offside calls, this will result in different decisions.

Seems like our “sleeves” are longer in offside calls.

3 Likes

What it comes down to is this.

When a goal is ruled offside, I want to see he was offside. I want to look at a replay, and go ahead fuck yeah, he’s offside’

The laws of offside still have a concept of ‘level’ and VAR as applied in England, has effectively rewritten this law.

When you see how often VAR has fucked us this season, and you see shit like obviously incorrect frames used, lines drawn in the wrong fucking place, like on the shadow of someone’s foot rather than their actual foot, continually changing ideas of where on someone’s shirtsleeve we put a line, and now seeing a line that’s drawn at a completely different angle to the other one, its hard to escape the conclusion that it’s being used to screw us over.

As for do I really think they’d spent a lot of money on this and still draw wonky lines? Yeah, I do. This is football we’re talking about.

If you think I’m talking shit, that’s fine, but I think what I think and I can only go on what I see, and what I see is weekly reasons to doubt the integrity of this system.

3 Likes

Yes, completely agree. As I’ve been very clear I fucking hate the system and its application. But there are not men in the control booth drawing squiggly lines.

4 Likes

Controversial decisions in both the Newcastle and Utd games yesterday, and now a very dubious one in the west brom game just now.

I can see serious questions are being asked at the minute as to whether VAR is fit for purpose.

1 Like

The thing that drives me crazy is that any good advancement like VAR was supposed to be should start with the question of what is the desired outcome. The solution is then fitted to produce that outcome. What it looks like we’ve got with VAR, is that VAR was identified as a possible solution to some collection of issues with the game, and then once we’ve got it it was decided that we had “the solution” and then just kept looking for things to apply to, producing outcomes no one asked for or wants, like these impossible to see offsides or the absurd handball decisions.

2 Likes

Another shower of shit VAR in the West Brom games

Just fucking scrap it FFS

Y’know it’s almost as if the PGMOL, who as I recall were verhermently against the introduction of VAR, are deliberately sabotaging it by using it in such a way that it absolutely ruins football games.

But it can’t be that, because as we know referees are top lads and not at all busy cunts.

2 Likes