OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

Oliver and Taylor***

I was about to say, weird for him to come out of retirement for it.

Will he headbutt someone too?

Potential new offside rule…seemingly will impact our high line tactics.

“It is onside if the attacking player is ahead of the defender, but still with one part of the body that can score inline with the defender.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/v6q5io/results_from_the_fifaifab_new_offside_rule_trial/

Additional read from EotK.

1 Like

Going to be a busy preseason for the defenders!

I think this is Arsene Wenger’s big idea. It’s only been 12 months since they changed the offside rule so we’re overdue another new innovation that’ll confuse the fuck out of everybody. Of all the things that need looking at rules-wise offside has got to be fairly low down the list. The only criterion for whether the change is worth introducing seems to be whether it results in more goals. As if every football fan has ADHD and gets bored if the ball’s not going in the net every 10 minutes.

Most fans just want to watch a game where they understand the rules and have confidence in the people who enforce them. I really don’t think we can say that any more about football. And what are they doing about time-wasting and feigning head injuries? These are the things that most fans are concerned about and where paying spectators are being short-changed.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. This continual fannying about with offside is ridiculous. Changing it every year is much more damaging than just leaving it alone.

2 Likes

This will definitely negatively impact us more than most, but I can get behind this change.

Every other boundary in football has to be entirely eclipsed to be relevant: the ball has to entirely cross the touchline to be out of play; the ball has to entirely cross the goal line to be a goal; the ball has to be totally outside the quadrant to be a foul corner; you have to be entirely outside the penalty area before it’s a GK handball, etc.

Now this rule essentially states that you must be entirely beyond the 2nd last defender to be offside. There’s a consistency there.

It’s been discussed that 1.) the spirit of the offside law is to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker, and 2.) the VAR system resulted in an overly black-and-white determination of offside based on the “anything offside is offside” criterion. This would address both those concerns. You’d also think that in the majority of cases this will avoid the bizarro leaning-offside / offside-by-an-armpit type decisions as well, since the direction of play in 90%+ of cases should mean it’s the feet of the attacker that are being referenced.

And, sorry: yes, more goals = more better. Alisson’s value as an incredibly excellent 1v1 goalkeeper would be through the roof.

4 Likes

Really could do with some good news, aren’t they bringing in the Hawkeye thing next season anyhow?

Generally I agree, however if the rule change proposes that all a striker has to do is keep one toe onside, that’s a hell of an advantage to the striker.

Funny that this is the interpretation that fans have been calling for for years and told no. If level is onside, then it makes sense that the whole the body needs to be offside, not just a single pixel.

1 Like

I’m not sure it would even result in more goals being scored. At the highest level of the game teams would just sit deeper, including us.

1 Like

Sure, but even against a low defensive line it drastically lowers the amount of precision attacking runs must be timed with.

1 Like

No no no, could you imagine the job the assistant ref/linesman would have, their job would be 500% harder and we would have far more of the flag not being raised and potential resulting injuries.

Wish the law makers would leave the rules alone!!!

1 Like

Imagine Filippo Inzaghi under these rules.

This rule will stop disallowing the stupid Bamford pointing style offside goal, but I agree that it will alter the game (not necessarily for the better). Plus, in lower leagues, with no VAR, it makes the assistant’s job too difficult imo. Too many variables going on at once.

It may also have unintended consequences. Imagine after the initial flurry of goals, it is found the best way to counter this rule is to play anti-football (Sean Dyche back in demand!).

Then imagine game after game of safety first football. For me, any drastic rule change needs a bigger sample size before being accepted. Half a season in a few under 18 games is not enough.

2 Likes

It will likely be trialled further before they bring it in to be fair, maybe the U21 euros

Glad to see the standards of officiating has improved…

Shocking.

1 Like

Posted similar in the Referees thread:

Genuine question.

Within the measurement tolerance ruling, why was Gray offside for Everton vs Leeds last night.
Going by Rashford vs Liverpool the goal should have stood.

1 Like