OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

Thing is there is stuff that wouldn’t be seen with the naked eye and it’s what made this a red, the movement of his leg up and the movement of his arm down none of that was legit in trying to stop the ball.

As it’s currently set up you cannot broadcast the conversation because otherwise we’d hear the VAR say “You saw the incidentally and still came to that moronic decision? How do you have a job and why do these rules prevent me over ruling you? WTF am I doing here?”

I’m lost how can it be 50/50 he didn’t get the ball and with Diaz being flattened and potentially injured, as a ref I would be wanting it to be looked at closely

What a wonderful Idea, However it is the PMGOL so wouldn’t be adopted grrrrrrr

1 Like

Or, because Atwell is a twat?

3 Likes

Dare I say it the bar is probably so high that penalty wouldn’t have been given off field.

If Attwell thinks the bar is too high to give that then he is lying and Dale Johnson knows that.

1 Like

A new table out this morning for what the league would like without VAR.

Normally I dont think they are too insightful as they simultaneously capture multiple things some of which oppose each other, and dont factor in how the game is officiated differently because of VAR, but I was struck by how little effect it had. Only 4 teams in the top half have a net change points, and 3 of those only by 1 point each. Of course, two of those are us and City with VAR having given them 1 more point than they’d otherwise have and us 1 point fewer.

2 Likes

It’s not to mention a fair amount of VAR decisions are correct.

Feels like VAR has just made it very obvious how uttery shit the standard of refs are in this country.

VAR has never been the problem, the problem is the PMGOB/L and people like Mark Riley, the refs under his watch and their incompetence.

2 Likes

Ref issue goes far deeper though as I said

1 Like

It would be more accurate if it showed what the table would look like if VAR was used to reach the correct decisions and wasn’t being manned by cheats.

4 Likes

I’d remove on and off side from lists it is fairly accurate as it can be now and will be even more so with the Hawkeye technology next season, the new lines have improved it.

1 Like

Dale Johnson is just explaining how the decision that was made can be justified under the Prem rules.

The current rules allow a high bar such that the VAR team can hide behind their biased/inept decisions with a pretense of justification.

Think of an academic trying to defend the undefendable with some pure theory, whereas every man and his dog knows that in the real world what he’s saying is a load of bollocks.

So bias such that Harry Kane can do no wrong, gets translated into he can run at 20mph and launch himself at someone studs up, and get away with it, as the ref/VAR teams thinks he’s not that sort of player. And then can justify by saying it was an honest attempt at the ball.

A system like this is rife for corruption (see the calciopoli scandal), is open to systematic biases (see the data done by professional data analysts regarding the number of fouls given to Mo Salah), and also of course plain incompetence (see the VVD- Trex incident, which is probably a mixture of reasons).

It’s how they can justify not giving a penalty as Jota “stopped” and created the situation before shooting. It’s how it can be a difference between giving a penalty from an innoculous clearance by Andy on Welbeck and not giving a red card for completely clearing out Diaz.

3 Likes

To be honest I wonder if it went too far. I saw a red card a few weeks ago Given on review but McTominay’s was worse.

I think maybe it should stick to goals and I’m generally for it, then again it stops stuff like yesterday not being checked (whatever Uncle Roy thinks).

2 Likes

I think this past weekend has been a prime example of how much of the controversy about VAR is fabricated. Of the two games I watched, (Us and Utd) it worked exactly as it was supposed to on big issues, with the disallowed Leicester goal a clear illustration of what clear and obvious actually means. The ref couldnt see what was happening in that tangle of legs and so let everything go, but was then told by VAR that there something potentially important that happened that he didnt see - Iheanacho hooking Varane’s leg. The VAR did not tell him “you got that wrong, it’s a foul.” It said “something happened you didnt see so you need to take a look at it to see if you think that is enough to give a foul.” He did, and he did, and I’d be surprised if too many people thought otherwise.

Yet afterwards the sky cunts dove in with both feet looking to egg on the “controversy” of VAR denying Leicester a win. They allowed Rodgers to go on a nonsensical path of explaining how that wasn’t a foul because Utd still have plenty of opportunities afterwards to clear the ball (WTF?), and then was pressed on whether he thought it was additionally frustrating that it was considered “clear and obvious”, and of course Brendan took the bait and added to the completely fabricated controversy.

90% of the frustrations over VAR are due to exactly these sort of media shit stirings that purposefully misconstrue what VAR did and why. Even on the McTominay one, it is completely defensible. Giving a yellow rather than red is a judgement call. I thought it was a red, but you see those let go all the time sufficient to say that I’m simply stricter on these challenges than is the baseline in the premier league. As long as the ref had a clear view VAR s not there to tell him they disagree with his judgement call, only to verify if his view of the situation was supported by the footage.

3 Likes

Two down for the ref haters!

The new 4 will be;

Jarred Gillett - Aussie
Michael Salisbury - Preston
Tony Harrington - Hartlepool
John Brooks - Leicester

Not a manc in sight!

1 Like

Hope there not going to sit em in a room…called VAR…

John Moss isn’t actually bad on VAR.

They will just be as hated next year, I assume the likes of England will be promoted as he has done a fair few VAR but not games. Brooks has done a few games.

Prem is the only major league without a single VAR ref selected for the world cup. Both Oliver and Atkinson got selected as on field refs, but this is being interpreted as FIFA sticking their finger up to the PGMOL for their application of VAR. It is now largely aligned with UEFA, but apparently still a lot of salt over their sense of superiority.