OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

Never had much of a problem with Mike Dean. He likes to be the centre of attention, but I never particularly feel hard done by with him.

The Sanchez decision is obviously a shocker, but he got everything else spot on.

1 Like

For life , just like Taylor, Thierney, Coote, Friend, Atkinson and formost that cheating c… Kavanagh. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I am sure we would have reported that decision if we would have not won yesterday.

We won and things are going great for us so I think the club is ‘afraid’ to embarrass the PL and the officials by reporting that.

It’s not the decision really, or that we still won, it’s the fact he could have caused serious injury and for that it needs highlighting.

Keepers get far too much protection both in defence and attack of challenges. The more that go in punished the more they think they can do as they want.

If your knee is head height you are out of control and should be sent off.

2 Likes

The biggest problem IMO is that there is no openness. We have some twats overhere in the Netherlands too but at least they are allowed to comment on TV after the match about the decision they have made and on Monday the boss of the Dutch referee’s coments on controversial decisions.

In English football everybody is hiding, acting all is fine.

4 Likes

What! No way! :rofl:

Yep zero accountability. Which has bred this elite ego arrogance where all the refs feel above the law. They close ranks, and it’s led to this vicious circle of incompetence, masked and defended by bullshit.

1 Like

Agree completely with you. For the WH game, as you say, Mo also got his shot away, and the ball was technically still in play when he was then scythed down from behind.

As the trajectory of the ball took it over the bar, no action was taken. So with Diaz, if his header clipped the top of the crossbar and then over, the ref would not have given a penalty.

Why am I so sure about this? Well, VAR will only ask the ref to look at it on the monitor if what the ref told the VAR does not kinda match up to the video. So the ref must have said something like:

I saw Diaz get his header away cleanly, and the momentum of the keeper caused the clash, but the keeper made an honest attempt. VAR would see the video and as you can bend it to this story, nothing can be done as the on field ref is in charge.

Dale Johson of ESPN will talk about this in his weekly twitter thread, and will go through the procedures of how VAR team can justify their actions as the bar in the Prem is high to overturn an on field decision (as long as the ref story kind of follows the video).

1 Like

Frank Lampard questioned Kavanagh’s integrity a couple of weeks ago, albeit in a round-about way. I don’t like Lampard for obvious reasons but I wish somebody at our club would call out these cunts in public like he did.
Attwell has now watched 2 assaults on LFC players this season and called them as being fine. It’s fucking outrageous and our club’s silence on cheating cunts like him is basically negligence.

4 Likes

I think Klopp telling Tiernay to his face that he had a problem with him is pretty damning in the light of it.

I can see how Dean wouldn’t notice it, keeper comes clattering Diaz in what would appear to be 50/50 it’s not the greatest decision but I can see why you don’t give it, however he should be booked, that’s a bit baffling.

However when you look at the replay and you look at the leg goes up and the arm goes down and nethier are in the direction or suspected direction of the ball at that point you say have a look at this.

Attwell for me is the issue in this, as mascot said I think Dean gets everything else right including the Becker penalty area decision. Which no doubt Tiernay or Kav would have been over their sending off Becker.

Have PMGOL even bothered to come up with some convoluted interpretation of the laws to explain this one away or are they just hoping because Klopp didn’t make a big deal of it and it ultimately didn’t impact the result that it’ll just be forgotten about?

Yesterday again we see the passing the buck issue with VAR.

Shocker

1 Like

The thing that frustrates is that from the ref’s position (not a criticism of the position) it is near impossible to clear see the nature of the contact as Diaz body blocks that angle. The rugby approach would have been to say “something clearly happened there but my angle was blocked, what does the VAR show.”

1 Like

Yup as I said you don’t clearly see what happens until you replay it. I went from reckless but it happens to deliberate when I saw it.

I don’t think we even need to go into intent. Just like with POickford on Virgil, the combination of the force of the challenge (launching him entire body into the challenge), the lateness, the way he made the contact unavoidable for Diaz, the nature of the contact. It all adds up to recklessly endangering an opponent.

3 Likes

So
Red card and ask VAR to look.
Of course corrupt cunt Atwell would overturn anyway.

2 Likes

Last think I’d want to see is refs sending off players for things they can’t see. Especially with the likes of Attwell on VAR.

Effectively it’s got a bit like umpires call, but dependent on how shit they are.

1 Like

Exactly This, but there is this buck passing thing that VAR will look at it. You also have 2 linesmen. Never consulted.

The system is so fucking twisted and broken. The precident on how to make it work is there with rugby but no, football and the PL are so fucking arrogant they can reinvent the wheel.

This and turning a blind eye to dodgy cash and club ownership boils my piss.

1 Like

The best thing about the rugby version is it’s a two way relationship between the on field ref and the TMO.

Ref gets a decision wrong, misses something or an incident happens off the ball and the TMO will communicate that to the ref. Refs generally make an on field decision but will then use the TMO to confirm or overturn his original verdict based on the additional evidence the TV shows.

At no point is the ref undermined by the input of the TMO. He doesn’t shirk a decision and just leave it to the TMO. And the TMO isn’t scared to point out things the ref missed or to contradict the refs opinion.

No “clear and obvious” bollocks. No theatrical sending them to a screen. And all done with both of them fully mic’d up so the TV/radio audience can hear the decision making process.

Barely ever any controversy and if there is you at least have their justification on record to understand their thought process which means there’s an acceptance that they are all still humans and there’s going to be a bit of human error or interpretation from time to time.

It’s a perfect blueprint that as you say, the Premier League is too arrogant to adopt and too fearful we’ll all get to hear just how incompetent their £70k a year professional refs really are.

2 Likes

Exactly. There are 4 officials in rugby, as in football ignoring the 4th official who does f all anyway. They all input into a decision and the actual on field ref has the final word. It’s all done in the open, fully miked as well. Anyone can call the attention of the ref etc.

Football and VAR in contrast is a mix of no one taking responsibility, no one pointing anything out, all cloaked and behind closed doors. No answers.

It’s a joke.

4 Likes