OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

2 Likes

This column gets longer and longer every week.

Such a shame how this technically that we all saw first hand work so well at the World Cup during its trial get absolutely obliterated in England by a set of fucking cowards.

Not a single ref I hold in high regard in this league, not 1.

4 Likes

It’s odd how I’ve hardly had an issue with it in European games.

One league actually referred its refs to offside decisions, maybe that’s the way we go. Then again isn’t VAR Hawkeye type approach close to be implemented.

I still think it’s the least issue with VAR.

Not VAR, but Tierney. When called to the monitor, he has already been put under heavy pressure by the Man Utd swarm around him for full minute or two.

I’m talking about Tierney having to re-adjudicate from watching the monitor having had a minute or two of a mob of players having a go.

There’s no need for the whole Man Utd team to swarm the ref. It should be Penandes the captain and Eriksen who was fouled talking. The others are a nod to Gary Neville/Alex Ferguson style leaning on the ref.

Without it, the ref may still have overturned it, but at least a more impartial decision would be had. What this shows is that with VAR protocol, calling the ref to the monitor (usually after a couple of minutes after the incident), the ref can be primed if the mob are allowed to do it.

2 Likes

Someone went through the effort of mapping the refs :rofl:

would explain why Norwich have never been EPL champs!

2 Likes

Not one from London…Considering it’s by far the biggest area of the country by population.

Odd, maybe my expierence how bad it is more reflective of London.

1 Like

Posted in the Referee Thread as well

Does that include ‘Can’t get the fucking system working for kick off so missed an offside’?

2 Likes

That will be a separate article on the Onion.

RIP SPL 2022-2022

2 Likes

Lovely experiment
But utterly shite and needs dumping right now.
It was bad before, but this is just shite.

1 Like

Not sure if you’re being serious or facetious?

Hang onto your hats SPL…

Bit of both.
The technology isn’t being used correctly, despite what some believe.
In some circumstances it’s actually making things worse

2 Likes

VAR isn’t really the issue, it generally rarely irritates me in European matches, generally it was fine in Europe and the World Cup.

In the PL however fucking hell, they’ve tried their best to utterly destroy it, maybe it should solely be used for offside once this automated system comes in next season (potentially), as frankly there was no point of it on Sunday, it might as well have been played without it and this seems to be down to the PL, ever since it came in they’ve tried to water it down every step of the way, so the word “tolerance” and “threshold” is on every decision.

And when the level of refeering is garbage it’s hard for VAR to improve, so all you really get is offsides if they can draw a line correctly which some of seem incapable of, hopefully with Italy adopting that in Jan and WC and CL already using it we get it in August (they will probably somehow fuck it up by inserting a clause in it which requires it to be at least 90 cm offside).

Anyhow once it is in place and is accepted then I’d ditch the rest of the checks, the only time I’d check of goal line technology has fucked up or an error such as sending the wrong player off, other than that you might as leave it on the pitch, it’s garbage decisions eithier way.

5 Likes

There are still too many VARiables for it to work properly because it’s run by humans. I’ve read today that certain refs don’t like/refuse to go to the screen to check their decisions.
Even when an incident happens VAR have certain parameters for when they can intervene? Take T Rex arms taking Virgil out in the derby. The VAR team looked at the offside and completely missed the horrendous scissor tackle that put Virgil out for months. :rage::nerd_face:

4 Likes

That doesn’t explain the differing experiences between the Euros and the World Cup, and the Premier League.

World-class shite, that

4 Likes