Our Squad / The favourite LineUp thread

Ifti ‘Playing Time Statto’ Khar :+1:t4:

That means we’ve played 29 games and Darwin has played 28 of them?

Didn’t find an appropriate thread, so I’m putting it here

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Contracts of Salah, VVD, Trent, Tsimikas, Curtis, and Jota will expire next (2025) Summer. Contracts of Kelleher, Konate, Robertson, and Elliott will expire in 2026 and since we generally engage in extension negotiations two years before expiry, they will be up for discussions too.

Edwards and the DoF will have a hectic Summer.

No.

2024: Adrian, Matip, Thiago
2025: Virgil, Trent, Salah

Tsimikas, Jones, Elliott and Jota are all tied until 2027.

Right.

2026: Kelleher, Konate, Robertson,

Assuming Arne Slot comes in…

For me personally I like the fact that he doesn’t prefer some three at the back shit.

And I’m pretty sure all the players who want to be here will get an equal chance to prove themselves.

4 of his last 5 starting lineups. Seems he switches a lot between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

Could see something like

Bajcetic MacAllister
Elliott Szoboszlai Jones
CF

Actually believe that playing in a double pivot would be great for Alexis and Harvey + Curtis could thrive in the 4-2-3-1 (not a secret that I don’t like them in a 4-3-3).

On the other hand the 4-2-3-1 was one of the main reasons Gravenberch left Bayern and I’m not sure Lucho would enjoy playing in it.

Think it would be great if Slot continues with his formational flexibility here.

Alisson: 32 games, 2880 mins
Kelleher: 26 game, 2400 mins

Trent: 37 games, 2617 mins
Robertson: 30 games, 2194 mins
Tsimikas: 25 games, 1465 mins
Bradley: 23 games, 1505 mins (One goal, six assists)

VVD: 48 games, 4072 mins
Gomez: 51 games, 3133 mins
Matip: 14 games, 1060 mins
Konate: 37 games, 2588 mins
Quansah: 33 games, 2494 mins (Three goals and three assists)

Elliott: 53 games, 2786 mins
Jones: 36 games, 2032 mins
Endo: 44 games, 2848 mins
Mac Allister: 46 games, 3501 mins
Szoboszlai: 45 games, 2704 mins
Gravenberch: 39 games, 1848 mins

Salah: 44 games, 3132 mins
Diaz: 51 games, 3615 mins
Nunez: 54 games, 3026 mins
Jota: 32 games, 1711 mins
Gakpo: 53 games, 3017 mins

1 Like

Thank you for posting that, but you’ve omitted some of the youngsters.

1 Like

Adrian was offered a new contract.

1 Like

https://x.com/PFA/status/1798316250516652290

2 Likes

Damn! Would like to see a less gaff prone keeper, but perhaps he’s kept in the squad for being a great trainer and teammate?

1 Like

Matip could make a coach - he’s certainly a bit different. Interesting to see Diogo also doing it as he’s turned his mind this way when he’s still a bit younger. Was always a black mark against the likes of Gerrard that he never showed much interest in really studying the game. I also think players who have the wherewithal to play overseas, learn a new language and succeed in another league are much more likely to have the necessary skills

1 Like

Endo, Zubimendi, Mac Allister, Gravenberch, Jones, Elliott, Szoboszlai, Salah, Nunez, Jota, Gakpo, Diaz (+Bajcetic if he doesn’t go out on loan).

12 or 13 players for the front 6 in midfield and attack.

Think that’s fine quality and quantity wise.

1 Like

The forward line is unbalanced towards the left. No real alternative to Mo on the right.
If Zubi doesn’t come we’re still light at DM.
Otherwise yes.

I know a lot can still happen with Zubimendi, Endo and Bajcetic.

At the moment it doesn’t seem Curtis and Harvey will be starters. Any ideas in which positions (LCM, RCM, #10) they will be used?

Goalie - All good, only question mark is over Kelleher, but Jaros looks like he’s good enough to cover.

RB - Trent and Connor, good options

LB - Robbo starting to decline. He’s still very good, but he’s not going to get better. Tsimikas isn’t young any more either. A young up and coming LB around 20-22, would be good.

CB - Virgil is still imperious, but coming to the evening of his career. Quansah is still learning, Konate can be very good, but is inconsistent. Gomez maybe leaving, VdB question mark. As others have said, a left sided CB to give VVD some cover wouldn’t be bad.

MF - Macca and Dom are top quality. Encouraging signs for Gravenberch at Nr6. Endo not bad squad player. Jones, can he move the ball quickly enough for Slot’s style? Harvey, good player, but what’s his best position? Bajcetic, jury’s out. Definitely room for a high quality addition. The club obviously recognises this too.

Attack - Very strong. No obvious alternative to Mo on the right. He can’t play every minute of every game. A young understudy would be ideal. Doak doesn’t seem to be in AS’s plans.

Young LB
Youngish LCB
Quality MF
Young RW

3 Likes

I expect Slot to line up our players in a 4-3-3 formation to start and maybe he tweaks later as he learns the players strength and the meta of the Premier league.

Front 3:
Luis Diaz-Diogo Jota-Mo Salah

Reserve:
Gakpo, Nunez, Chiesa

Midfield 3:
Szoboszlai, Mac Allister, Gravenberch

Reserve:
Elliott, Jones, Wataru, Morton

Defence:
Robertson, Van Dijk, Konate, TAA

Reserve:
Tsimikas, Quansah, Gomez, Bradley

GK:
Alisson Becker

Reserve: Kelleher

We might be a bit thin at CB, and who knows how well Gravenberch can transition to DM? But it seems like a fairly solid squad. If Gravy struggles, Wataru can play as a stopgap but we will really need to get a new DM in January.

I expect quality minutes from Chiesa to help keep the attack rotation fresh, and if Nunez could just learn how to finish we will have an enviable group of attackers.

Konate health is also key to keeping our defence solid. I wouldn’t want to run out Quansah nor Gomez as starters against top sides like City or Arsenal.

Squad Analysis:
Top 4 looks quite doable even with a new manager. I don’t feel a title race is in the cards. Our starting talent is good, particularly in attack, but we don’t quite have the quality depth of the other teams at the top. It’s a long, grueling season. Should still be exciting to see how the lads adjust to playing under Slot!

Depending on how we do, how individual players do, future of TAA/VvD/Salah there is LOTS OF WORK to be done next year.

Straight out of my head

• senior 3rd choice goalkeeper (not a must)
  • a fullback
  • two CBs (one if Virgil extends)
  • two midfielders
  • one attacker

Possible outgoings

• Tsimikas, Virgil, Gomez
  • Endo + one of Elliott/Jones (IMO)
  • Salah + one of Diaz/Nunez
1 Like

Top 4 looks doable???

With this squad I believe we will be challenging for the title. We were close last year being in 1st with just over a quarter of the season to go.

No AFCON, no Asian Cup… a manager who isn’t afraid to rotate and rest more. Quansah and Bradley more acclimatized to top level football.

I am struggling to see why Endo as our backup DM is causing so many of our fans to shit their bed.

He won’t turn out an 8 or 9 out of 10 performance, but will consistently deliver a solid 7 or 7.5 when called apon which for a back up is what you want.

Plus he is the sort of character that seems positive and well liked within the squad and also around the training ground that won’t go banging on Slots door every week if he doesn’t play - the perfect squad player.

2 Likes