Our Squad / The favourite LineUp thread

We need to talk about something or we’ll all go raving mad!

2 Likes

Much of the same for me, if we’re thinking big game lineup. Matip next to Virgil; Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson in midfield, and the rest as usual.

3 Likes

Sleep deprivation, not his, mine :grimacing:

Origi and Shaqiri will also leave.

I’m sure we will sign another player but even if not it’s not the end of the world.

Midfield

Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago will start most of the PL and CL games.

We should know by now that Klopp doesn’t like to make many changes. Fab, Jord and Thiago start in the CL and one of them gets a rest at the weekend - that’s where one of Jones, Milner or Keita gets a start.

Attack

Similar in attack.
Salah, Mané, Firmino start in one game. One gets a rest in the next and Jota comes in. Minamino has proved at Southampton that He has the potential to be a very good 5th choice attacker.

6 midfielders for 3 positions.
5 attackers for 3 positions.

Not even mentioned Elliott and Ox who both can play in midfield and attack.

So no need to panik if we don’t sign any players.

1 Like

i do love a good squad list. it just ignites the inner football child in me…we all love it…the possibilities, the hope for some players, the frustration for others…

in the end we all end up with very similar looking list becuase, lets face it…theres not a lot of variation to be had until you lock in a new player…

i also love a good stoush over whether a fifth choice central defender is better than utilising a central midfielder deeper…

Henderson won’t report back to Kirkby until August. With the lack of ‘match fitness’ going into the Norwich game on 14th, do you think there’s a chance we’ll see at the start of the season a continuation of what we saw in the Euros where Henderson was used sparingly and as a sub in the second half?

The same could be suggested of Gomez and Virg. If they don’t feature for much of the preseason games, I could see them not starting and being eased into the season.

It’s up to Keita, Matip and Konate to prove their worth through preseason performances to demonstrate to Klopp that the 3 returning players don’t need to be rushed back.

Alisson
Trent Matip VvD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Thiago
Salah Firmino Mané

Kelleher
Neco Gomez Konate Tsimikas
Keita Milner Jones
Minamino Ox Jota

• Adrian
  • one of Davies, Rhys or Koumetio
  • a new signing
  • Elliott

That’s my 26 men squad to win us the quadruple until may.

Edit: Didn’t want to say that Matip is ahead of Konate or Gomez, Firmino is ahead of Jota, or that Elliott doesn’t even make our second team.

Just wanted to point out how perfectly built this squad is.

1 Like

Presumably new signing is a cm

Probably but we’re not really desperate for a new signing.

Think players like Keita and Jones wouldn’t be happy about a new CM.

Minamino and Ox wouldn’t be happy about an new attacker.

My prediction;

Alisson
Alexander-Arnold, Konate, Van Dijk, Robertson
Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago
Salah, Firmino, Mane

Kelleher
Williams*, Matip*, Gomez, Tsimikas
Keita/Ox*, Milner, Jones
Elliott, Origi*, Jota

Ones with an * by them might still end up replaced but no way all of them will, not this far into window.

On top of this Adrian as back up Keeper, Davies or Williams as back up CB, Milner as general utility man.

Out by one player:

Mbappé instead of Firmino.

4 Likes

A DM then, that would help balance out the squad, no?
Declan Rice anyone?

Player Current Contract Extention
Milner 2022
Kelleher 2022 2026
Henderson 2023 2024
Firmino 2023
VVD 2023 2025
AOC 2023
Salah 2023
Mane 2023
Fabinho 2023 2026
Keita 2023
Thiago 2024
Matip 2024
Alisson 2024 2027
Robertson 2024
Gomez 2024
TAA 2024 2025

Salah, Mane, Robertson should be next.

Bobby? :thinking:

1 Like

Trop vieux, non? :rofl:

Expecting one or two CBs to be very disappointed with their minutes and starts over the course of the season.

Against Leeds we started with

Alisson
Trent Matip VvD Robbo
Elliott Fabinho Thiago
Salah Jota Mané

We have a good squad to rotate 3 players between PL and CL games - for example one defender, one midfielder, one attacker

If everyone’s fit for Milan we could go with

Alisson
Trent Gomez VvD Robbo
Hendo Fabinho Thiago
Salah Firmino Mané

(I know unlikely to see Bobby on Wednesday)

And then vs Palace

Alisson
Trent Matip VvD Robbo
Hendo Fabinho Keita
Salah Firmino Jota

Then it’s the League Cup

Kelleher
Neco Gomez Konate Tsimikas
Ox Milner Keita
Minamino Origi Mané

Robertson to play three games in six days after playing three games (NT) in seven days???

I guess it’s too early to have an update on Robertson.

Any updates on Mane and Henderson, or is it still hush, hush?

What’s the status of Keita, Milner, Thiago, and Gomez?

Alisson, Fabinho, VVD, and Tsimikas going into NT game tonight, keep your fingers crossed.

Alisson
Trent Matip VVD Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson Thiago
Salah Jota Mane

Kelleher
Milner Gomez Konate Tsimikas
Morton
Ox Keita
Diaz Firmino Takumi

Disregarding fitness issues, any two from Henderson, Thiago, Ox, Keita, and Curtis in front of Fabinho would make a great midfield combo.