Podcast Recommendations

Agreed; but so has everywhere else.

And there’s plenty wrong with it.

My new football club - Joe Wilkinson and David earl. Starts of awkward but becomes hilarious. Basically David earl has shifted to Devon and decided to start supporting Exeter City so he talks about his experiences going to matches and all.

1 Like

Couple of new recommendations from me:

The Trojan Horse Affair.

In 2014 an anonymous letter was sent to Birmingham city council outlining an Islamic plot to take over schools in Birmingham to indoctrinate the students. The Council unanimously agreed it was a hoax, but the consequences of how it was responded to was devastating to the identified schools and their students. This is an 8-part story of an investigation into the case to try to understand who wrote it and why it generated the response it did from both the local council and the Conservative government.

Two interviews with Timothy Snyder, one with Ezra Klien and one with Chris Hayes

Snyder’s book, On Tyranny, became a popular way of understanding the threat Trump posed during his presidency. He was often rolled out to talk to people to relate elements of his book to whatever awful Trump related thing was in the news at that time.

However, I’ve just come to find that his academic background is the history of Russia and Ukraine. As a result of this he is being wheeled out again in a lot of places to discuss his perspective on what is happening there now and why, and I think those two episodes were particularly good.

Just started listening to a podcast called - If Books Can Kill after I heard they covered Rich Dad, Poor Dad, in one of their episodes. Really enjoying it and have now subscribed to it.

I also recently came across a website and show called ‘the Maintenance Phase’ which I’ve added to my list of shows to listen to - it turns out it is by the same people!

2 Likes

Michael is great. I mentioned earlier in this thread one of his prior podcasts called “You were wrong about”. Exact same theme and set up, just a different partner to bounce things off. He has a good twitter account as well that is worth following (rottenindenamark).

If Books Can Kill has been brilliant. Most are cases where you’re left questioning how could they ever have generated any traction and popularity, but in a couple of cases the central idea of the book had some value but the book itself, the narratives spun in them in application of the ideas were awful. The Love Languages one is a good example of that.

Be weary of Maintenance Phase though. It’s two hosts who have both struggled personally with their weight and with how society has treated them because of it. They have now several episodes related to body weight that are just really bad treatments of the material. Little kernels of truth like “weight stigma is a real problem in medicine” gets turned into “a doctor is bad if they think your weight has anything to do with your issues and being fat really isn’t the health problem the medical community pretend it is.” This is really disappointing because he’d previously done a really smart one on the Obesity epidemic on YWRA that got a lot of the nuanced science right.

1 Like

Cross posting from the Ancient History thread…

Dan Carlin on Hardcore History has done episodes on Alexander the Great and has crossed into Ancient Greek history with some of his shows, but I’ve not come across a Mike Duncan bit by bit Ancient Greece history. I’m also interested if it’s out there.

2 Likes

Yeah I tried Carlin but it’s exhausting even if good. It’s more that A to Z style of approach Im looking for.

You don’t have 5 hours to scrape through Dan moaning in ecstasy about how awful parts of history are!! :joy::rofl::rofl:

I like them, but i save them for when I’m in the mood. A quick Google search brings up the history of ancient Greece podcast, but no idea who or what it is.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+history+of+ancient+greece+podcast+controversy&client=ms-android-verizon&sxsrf=AB5stBiz01NPrWc8U4CJNcQFXdCb3LYdPw%3A1689619115846&ei=q4q1ZNOMM_DZ5NoPjc6_sAo&oq=the+history+of+ancient+greece+podcast&gs_lp=EhNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwIiV0aGUgaGlzdG9yeSBvZiBhbmNpZW50IGdyZWVjZSBwb2RjYXN0KgIIADIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwA0jbElAAWABwAXgBkAEAmAEAoAEAqgEAuAEByAEA4gMEGAAgQYgGAZAGCA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Or maybe give it a swerve :man_shrugging:

:joy: Fucking great

I’m going to run with this. It looks like it might be projected to end a little earlier than I’d like, but looks a good start

1 Like

I’m listening to this currently, a few episodes in, he brings in experts to talk about whatever the subject matter is, it’s pretty good so far.

1 Like

That is the one I have seen that gets the hostorian seal of approval, but it looks a bit scattered in its organization. I’m looking for something more chronological

Harrison Ford Omg GIF by Apple TV+

I’ve started getting into Podcasts over the last few months and this one might be of interest:

The guys who present this grew up on Merseyside so there are quite a few references that people may remember but the focus is on things that scared kids who were growing up in the 70s and 80s: usually things that were actually aimed at kids or that they would easily see but which, in all objectivity, were absolutely terrifying.

1 Like

Any mention of Purple Aki?

Just found out he’s dead now.

Not sure if he is dead though, or it is/was a strong rumour he had passed on.
His Wiki page still has him as alive, but not sure if anyone knows for certain either way

He as a wiki page? :joy:

:0)

Was standing in a crowded Bus Stop once when he walked past… Strangely, he was making that clucking sound between his tongue and the roof of his mouth - Weird
Massive guy though

Akinwale Arobieke - Wikipedia

“In 2017, Solita Bar and Grill, which owned four restaurants in Manchester, apologised for naming a burger “Purple Teriyaki” in reference to Arobieke’s nickname, after complaints that the name could be construed as racist. The restaurant had posted the name on [Twitter] with a photo of a sign which included an arm squeezing a biceps.”

:man_shrugging: