Podcast Recommendations

Dan Carlin on Hardcore History has done episodes on Alexander the Great and has crossed into Ancient Greek history with some of his shows, but I’ve not come across a Mike Duncan bit by bit Ancient Greece history. I’m also interested if it’s out there.

2 Likes

Yeah I tried Carlin but it’s exhausting even if good. It’s more that A to Z style of approach Im looking for.

You don’t have 5 hours to scrape through Dan moaning in ecstasy about how awful parts of history are!! :joy::rofl::rofl:

I like them, but i save them for when I’m in the mood. A quick Google search brings up the history of ancient Greece podcast, but no idea who or what it is.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+history+of+ancient+greece+podcast+controversy&client=ms-android-verizon&sxsrf=AB5stBiz01NPrWc8U4CJNcQFXdCb3LYdPw%3A1689619115846&ei=q4q1ZNOMM_DZ5NoPjc6_sAo&oq=the+history+of+ancient+greece+podcast&gs_lp=EhNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwIiV0aGUgaGlzdG9yeSBvZiBhbmNpZW50IGdyZWVjZSBwb2RjYXN0KgIIADIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwAzIKEAAYRxjWBBiwA0jbElAAWABwAXgBkAEAmAEAoAEAqgEAuAEByAEA4gMEGAAgQYgGAZAGCA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Or maybe give it a swerve :man_shrugging:

:joy: Fucking great

I’m going to run with this. It looks like it might be projected to end a little earlier than I’d like, but looks a good start

1 Like

I’m listening to this currently, a few episodes in, he brings in experts to talk about whatever the subject matter is, it’s pretty good so far.

1 Like

That is the one I have seen that gets the hostorian seal of approval, but it looks a bit scattered in its organization. I’m looking for something more chronological

Harrison Ford Omg GIF by Apple TV+

I’ve started getting into Podcasts over the last few months and this one might be of interest:

The guys who present this grew up on Merseyside so there are quite a few references that people may remember but the focus is on things that scared kids who were growing up in the 70s and 80s: usually things that were actually aimed at kids or that they would easily see but which, in all objectivity, were absolutely terrifying.

1 Like

Any mention of Purple Aki?

Just found out he’s dead now.

Not sure if he is dead though, or it is/was a strong rumour he had passed on.
His Wiki page still has him as alive, but not sure if anyone knows for certain either way

He as a wiki page? :joy:

:0)

Was standing in a crowded Bus Stop once when he walked past… Strangely, he was making that clucking sound between his tongue and the roof of his mouth - Weird
Massive guy though

Akinwale Arobieke - Wikipedia

“In 2017, Solita Bar and Grill, which owned four restaurants in Manchester, apologised for naming a burger “Purple Teriyaki” in reference to Arobieke’s nickname, after complaints that the name could be construed as racist. The restaurant had posted the name on [Twitter] with a photo of a sign which included an arm squeezing a biceps.”

:man_shrugging:

I came across this series when I was working late last night. It’s a BBC series by the mathematician Hannah Fry, and is 10 short real-life stories where statistics and graphical representations were used to solve real-world mysteries: everything from the Shipman murders, through climate change, to challenging economic orthodoxy.

4 Likes

I’ve been listening to “The Rest Is Entertainment” which is a weekly podcast about TV, film, newspapers and general entertainment presented by Richard Osman (Pointless, House Of Games) and Marina Hyde (humorous Guardian journalist).

It’s produced by Goalhanger (Gary Lineker’s production company) and has a similar format to their other podcasts but Osman, in particular, is fascinating as he is primarily a television producer and has a lot of insight into the behind the scenes working of the industry.

3 Likes