Post match: Brentford v Liverpool (EPL 2/1/23 5.30pm)

This is the point right there. we can not compete as we adere to more of an american model of nfl. nhl. This was the hope when FSG bought the club. They have said as much how they hoped FFP would be aggressively implemented in order to allow all teams to compete on a more even playing field. But we know how that all turned out. Greed is driving the PL and has been for a while now… and sooner or later the bubble will burst. The question is, what do we do in the mean time to compete with these state backed clubs?

100% and it’s why the club is up for sale. The model is at the point where it cannot compete in the modern dirty cheat money game…

1 Like

Rooster Teeth Smile GIF by Achievement Hunter

Re the European Cup or CL, the inscription on the trophy…
The following:

“This is the fucking European Cup. There are other names for the competition, but this trophy is the fucking European Cup. Fucking smart arse modernist fans can be as pedantic as they want, but the fact remains… this is the European fucking Cup”

Its in French, but thats the literal translation. Glad to clarify.

1 Like

its a trophy given to the winners of UEFA’s Champions League Competition,

It’s the European Cup.
And football existed before 1993

3 Likes

We have been struggling to do the basics right. Our passing precision has been very poor and so has our decision making.
I have wondered during games how we have managed to misplace some of the passes we attempt which are often very basic. Likewise a lot of defensive headers that seem to go all over the place and not to mention throw in"s where we can’t find our player.

2 Likes

Because we needed another forward and Gakpo was who we were going for in the summer so it makes perfect sense but FSG have to give money for a midfielder also.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you JB, but a proper midfielder has been needed since July.

Some claiming Klopp didn’t want a midfielder, I wonder why we were after Tchouameni then? wink wink. FSG fans eh.

1 Like

Hope for an FSG complete buy-out by an oil-rich buyer? Sell our souls to the devil iow. I’m growing to despise professional elite football more and more these days, but the genie is out of the bottle sadly.

2 Likes

Not sure if Carragher is right criticising Alisson here or having a dig at Jurgen… IF… Alisson is only following instruction from Jurgen to play it out from the back at all times unless MO is on for a break-away… Surely Carragher needs to put his points across in a more succinct manner that can be interpreted better

1 Like

I’m vey disappointed by this one. I had hoped we’d turned a corner.

I don’t give a toss about net spend. The 11 on the pitch, and the subs that came on are all quality players. A midfield containing Thiago and Fabinho should be one of the best around, and they aren’t past it yet!

Somethings up, but isn’t the quality. Mentally we just aren’t at the races, the focus and determination just isn’t there a lot of the time. Senior players trying to get away with playing at 80%, which you just can’t do in the prem these days. For me this is the crux of the issue, how to solve it, I have no idea. However I think buying a new player (or ‘shiny toy’ as some refer to them as) is unlikely to fix it.

3 Likes

Thiago is a top footballer but in a 3 man midfield he needs mobility around him and at the moment Fabinho don’t provide that, Elliott don’t suit a 3 man either.

It the old principle that if all you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail.

Transfers are the bit of football we all understand, so it becomes the answer to every question.

7 Likes

We’re playing a team who are a more likeable Burnley, who thrive in the physical confrontations, and he’s asking why we didnt just punt the ball up field and instead tried to develop some possession from the back? Criticizing Elliot for the bad dummy is fine. Criticizing us for trying to retain possession from a goal kick is absurd.

4 Likes

Carragher was never the sharpest tool in the shed, I’m not sure why people are surprised that he’s not very intelligent? This was the man who thought Hodgson was a much better manager than Rafa…

1 Like

When did he actually say that?

When he (and Gerrard I think) went behind Rafa’s back to tell Hicks and Gillette he had lost the dressing room, to fire him, and appoint Hodgson.

A few weeks after that, Carra got the 100k a week extension Rafa hadn’t wanted to give him

I’ve never liked Carra particularly.

4 Likes

I find Carragher rather bitter and twisted that the team is constantly more successful than his sides ever were.

4 Likes