GOAL: Curtis JONES [36’]
GOAL: Takumi MINAMINO [46’]
GOAL: Marko GRUJIC [65’]
GOAL: Divock ORIGI [89’]

Sub: FABINHO on, Virgil VAN DIJK off [45’]
Sub: Diogo JOTA on, Harvey ELLIOT off [57’]
Sub: Naby KEITA on Xherdan SHAQIRI Off [75’]

Never in doubt.

The inclusion of Virgil in the starting XI raised a few eyebrows, although it would not have been the wisest decision to blood two young central defenders together, but the team was otherwise a mixture of fringe senior players and promising youngsters.

Rhys Williams and Tsimikas both made their Liverpool debuts, while Grujic appeared for the first time in nearly three years. All three played well and I, for one, will be sad to see the back of the gangly Serbian if he is indeed sold this month. I think he’s certainly capable of filling in as a backup player here. His passing was excellent tonight and his positional play has improved considerably, although today’s opponents didn’t provide the most severe of tests. Excellent finish for his goal, feinting to the right and then catching the keeper out with little backlift.

That rare species the lesser spotted Shaqiri opened the scoring with a quality free kick- real “postage stamp” stuff, to use the cliche. Taki soon made it two, curling into the same corner with elan, while Jones added a third right in the same spot.

Curtis, who had an outstanding half quite apart from his goals, scored his second- and our fourth- with a deflected shot in the 36th minute. He is pushing for a place in the first team but faces stiff competition from Baby, Gini and Ox in that attacking central midfield role. Still, I’d love to see him given a run of games rather than just featuring in domestic cup ties; he could be special.

Speaking of special, our brand new away kit deserves a mention. That was it.

Virg was replaced by Fabinho at half time, as Operation 4th Choice Centre Half continued, and Taki immediately added a fifth after another brilliant ball by Jones and a blocked effort from Elliott allowed our Japanese international to tap in.

Adrián made a sharp save in the first half and a couple more at the start of the second; he should be fine as our number two until the much vaunted Marcelo Pitaluga is ready.

Harvey had a quiet game and was replaced just before the hour by the new £41m acquisition from Wolves, Diogo Jota. Lincoln missed a glorious chance to get on the scoresheet shortly afterwards but Edun converted coolly a few seconds later- he surely won’t forget his first Lincoln goal, with it coming against the mighty Reds. Lincoln soon scored another after some sloppy defending, the former Burberry model Lewis Montsma crashing home a header off the bar from close range.

The game then petered out- Archibald might have done better when given the chance to score a third for the home side- and it was job done for our reserve team. Divock added a late seventh goal after a driving run from Taki- a real captain’s goal for the big Belgian. Overall, Jones was obviously the standout performer but Grujic and Taki get honourable mentions too.

So a double-header against Arsenal next: League on Monday and Carabao Cup a few days later. I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing this team again in the cup tie; they certainly deserve another chance. Two wins please, lads.

MOTM: those wonderful people at Quinta do Crasto. I thought I’d celebrate Jota’s debut with a bottle of port and they don’t come much better than their wonderful 2015 vintage. Still young but promising more to come … like tonight’s team.

23 Likes

What he said.

8 Likes

If only you’d had a go at him sooner, he’d have scored earlier. Really, his shit show of a performance tonight is on you. Hope you’re proud of yourself. :joy:

2 Likes

fuck, no one cares about the MOM ?

Is that an option.

Was a standaard walk in the park

We need another Virgil for when Virgil goes off,Jonesy motm.

15 Likes

???

Missing Keita in the poll. Just saying

5 Likes

:joy: I’ll take it. True enough as soon as I hit save edit I’m thinking watch big Div score. I did follow my post up tho to say that’s his career ina nutshell. Absolute maddening for miles then a beautiful strike and goal out of nowhere.

3 Likes

You should,she gave birth to you.

23 Likes

Jones and Mini were very good indeed. Grujic good too, but his lack of pace will be found out in the PL. Tsimi showed flashes. Don’t say Shaq is injured again! Fun to watch otherwise.

6 Likes

Another great nights entertainment and goals galore.

3 Likes

Well , that was easy watching.

Everybody bent on getting goals in and very happy-go-lucky on defending. Loved it.

I remember days when our second suit would struggle against even such low-ish opposition.

Loved Taki’s overall contribution , Jone’s hunger , Grujic’s calmness and Shaq’s industry.
Feel a bit sorry for Elliot - the match somehow slipped by him tonight.
Neco seemed very angry with his error for their first goal - was really pushing things after that.

Not much to conclude from Jota’s cameo - will see more of him shortly , I’m shure.

Motm: Jones , Taki and Shaq. In this order.

11 Likes

I enjoyed that! Entertaining, mutually respectful game and some interesting individual performances. A beautiful bit of skill from Tsimikis at the end. At first I thought he looked less of a finished article than I was expecting to see, but I totally get why he’s similar to Robbo. Just needs to bulk up a bit. Didn’t understand taking Elliot off really. He was no less involved than Div and the minutes might have been good for him. Virgil just totally bossed it and it would have been more like 11-0 if he’d stayed on!

3 Likes

split the motm vote. jones had the classier goals but minamino was lively & teed div up for his, they were both outstanding

grujic isn’t up to the level of our other options in midfield but he’s a good player, shan’t be given away

now that it’s over, jfc bringing on naby @75 scared the bejesus out of me. bringing on fabinho at half made sense from a man management standpoint imo–he’s out to lunch sometimes and we can’t afford it

rhys williams is a big lad who had a couple classy moments passing out of the back, i’m gonna keep an eye on him now

don’t wanna get too carried away but tsikimas looks like another hit. maybe it gets him in trouble against better competition but i like his willingness to come inside on his right foot when he’s pressured, and the service into the box was quite good

hell of a squad they’ve put together

2 Likes

TL;DR :rofl:

Liked it anyway!

3 Likes

Pour yourself a drink (you’ll need it) and read it! :beers:

5 Likes

Be like COG

Pour yourself 10 drinks and write it :crazy_face:

7 Likes

That was an entertaining match apart from those 15 minutes where they took to piss out of our defence!

6 Likes