Post Match: Liverpool v Leeds Utd (EPL 12/9/2020 5.30pm

Normally it’s over a thousand but @Alright_Now was missing yesterday.

10 Likes

Three times getting pegged back level, but mustering out a goal near the final whistle. That’s basically what Klopp has wanted since he came in, to keep the belief all the way to the final whistle.

How many games in the past few years have we managed to get a late goal? Plenty. I remember the dark days of the scum doing this in the 90s, thinking they were jammy bastards. But of course, the way to get this is to get the right attitude in the play, and keep going.

Bogey game against a promoted team, well drilled and setup tactically under an astute manager. Yes, we made individual errors, but we just keep digging ourselves out of trouble. We most often find the key to win the game.

2 Likes

We limited Leeds to 6 shots at goal, 3 on target. We had 22. If VVD’s little flick back to Robertson had come off, it would’ve been on if his normal master defensive strokes.
Leeds were worth their money on the day but the score flattered them a wee bit I think.

6 Likes

Bobby has been off the pace since Christmas. It looks like he has an identity crisis is he a goal getting striker or a false 9 provider of chances because at the moment he’s doing neither well.

1 Like

Well nice easy start. Great attacking. Abject defending, but we’re the kind of team that needs a proper pre season which we weren’t able to have - so I’m happy with 3 points.

1 Like

I forgot how critical and upset some fans get when Liverpool dont win 10-0 with a clean sheet every week.

I remember being a youngster watching the run of 4-3s against NUFC and loving it. Its how I felt watching that yest, it was a fun game, we were sloppy but we deserved the win. That happens from time to time and I have little doubt that it will be better as the season progresses and fitness, match sharpness, and the system all improve.

Then I scanned Twitter this morning and came on here - wow, scathing comments and views. Complete disrespect for what Leeds did, complete cry baby hissy fits etc etc. I sometimes wonder if people forget that football is not being played on a computer, that humans can make mistakes, and that it’s a game of margins.

But ofcourse, people want it their way and are quick to shout. Alisson no better than mignolet was one of my fav comments. Oh and a bit of ‘Klopp can fuck off’ - those people should go fuck off.

Criticism is fair, slagging them off and calling them all sorts of shit when they just delivered what they have over the last 2 seasons - Idont think so. I look forward to your reactions when Klopp leaves and we get worst…that will be fun.

26 Likes

Maybe here is a explanation for yesterday’s performance Klopp did promise not to defend the title but attack it so that’s what happened yesterday. :soccer:

Alisson is head and shoulders a better keeper than Mignolet but I think it’s also fair to say that his levels have dropped from where they were earlier in his Liverpool career. The same could be said about Fabinho in my opinion. That’s not just based on this game alone.
I enjoyed the football played by both sides in the game, Leeds deserve credit but we gifted them goals and should have scored at least a couple more ourselves. VVD’s error will serve as a lesson, get back to basics and do the simple stuff well.
I think the balance is not right in the middle of the park and can see why Klopp wants Thiago. So much of our attacking game is built around the fullbacks getting forward but the flaws in that defensively are obvious. TAA in particular was exploited yesterday when they attacked the space left behind him with pace and runners. Gomez suffered as a result because he didn’t seem to know when to sit or go to the man leaving him caught between two stools. At his best Fabinho would drop deeper when the fullbacks go allowing him to cover or go with a runner if our attack breaks down, this was lacking at times yesterday too from any of the midfield players.

5 Likes

It seems to me that that this team, more than most other top teams, relies a great deal on it’s match day supporters for inspiration and the promotion of self-belief. I’m not knocking the players per se, just pointing out that they have been kind of ‘spoilt’ over the years because of the unique Anfield atmosphere as well as the strong support they get from the travelling Kop. It must be a surreal experience for them and it’s clear that the situation has effected them during this lockdown.

We have been a shadow of ourselves since early March and yesterday’s defensive lapses were symptomatic of that. This is the challenge facing JK and his staff: How do you instil full concentration and consistent performance levels in players in a soulless match day atmosphere? This problem will be an ever present one for the foreseeable future and it has to be addressed if we are to retain the title.

1 Like

Insane start to our season and it will give everyone plenty to complain about.
We won and by a one goal margin :thinking: we had plenty of wins last season with the same margin.
3 points and lots of work for the coaches.

MOTM
Mo obviously.

Good one. :+1:t2:Your post is another reminder why I’m not on twitter. The world is full of extreme and obnoxious idiots who instantly become experts in everything.

I cant be asked sifting through the BS and avoiding the temptation to call them out.

6 Likes

Left that game feeling relieved, frustrated, still somewhat annoyed after fulltime.

People have said it above, but our defence is a shadow of our former selves. If Leeds were better we might’ve lost this easily. It feels like we’re back to 2017-18, where we were amazing going forward (and Salah in particular…) but shite at the back. Even VVD looks like he’s half asleep still.

Still, I was half predicting a slip up here, so I’ll bite your hand off now these three points are on the table. Other sides will be wise to look at how Leeds approached this.

We CANNOT wait long for fans to be back in stadiums, we have seen what it does to Anfield when those lovely match-goers are in the house.

Let’s fucking hope Leeds give the other big sides the same treatment, and it may well help us retain this big fucking shiny cunt.

We always struggled after an international break, even if it wasn’t really a break this time, maybe even worse, it’s been a distraction of our pre season and it seems as if our defense has been “out of sync” because of this. Some days ago they had to play in a different system with different partners. We shouldn’t forget that tbf.

That will dissappear after a while. I’m not worried.

4 Likes

Observed the same thing on Twitter but realized there’s no point arguing with people there. “Fans are allowed to criticize” blah blah. When the fck are you going to enjoy watching us if criticizing is all you want to do.

People are swift in reminding Klopp’s time is limited and owners should maximize his time here by spending. Well maybe as a fan one should maximize the happiness being derived from Klopp being here as well.

2 Likes

Twitter is a dumping ground for the worst aspects of humanity. I doubt most of the people who post on there actually behave like that in real life or the world wouldn’t function (and I mean that for everything not just football).

9 Likes

Great to get the win especially last 2 minutes thank you mo Salah very happy man yesterday after a good night sleep after drink or 2 looking back at the highlights this morning obviously we can do better defensively and we do have the players in in Virgil van dijk Joel matip Joe Gomez all top class players especially Virgil.
Mistakes around the goals nothing to do with talent so many variables to consider like no fans first game got too cocky on ball these things are Easily fixed , think
the standout from me was the game in whole, players did not stop playing football with no giving up what so ever as if they did not want to go back into the manager without the three points.

I do not know what is wrong with many of the folks on here. We won against a good side playing a different style to what we are used to. Possession was pretty even but we had 22 shots to their 6, 13 blocked shots to their 2, 17 shots inside the box to their 4, 9 corners to their none.How anyone can look at those stats and say we were lucky beats me. I agree there were some disappointing aspects to our game but it seems to me people expect those Barca CL semi standards every game.

4 Likes

It was interesting how it appeared that Trent was marked out of the game a lot, it could have been a lack of stamina (he wasn’t getting forward as much), but they did appear to press him a lot and cut off his passing lanes…

This had a pretty large affect on Salah, he was left 1 v 1 (he was basically doubled up on all last season), and he is just unplayable when left on his own.

The benefits of having 2 world class players down the right (and left to be honest). You try and shut down Trent and him playmaking from right back and you leave Salah to run riot, double up on Salah and Trent runs the game.

11 Likes

If the team are suffering because there is no crowd to urge them on… then maybe yesterday it helped us that the Leeds fans weren’t there to urge their team on.! What a hotbed that would have been to play in… and remember, there was no pressure on the Leeds team to get three points… they are the newly promoted side trying to adjust to the frenzy of the Premier league.

I think they deserve full credit for the way they approached the game… Biesla in particular.! (Sean Dyche + Mourinho take note please)… Football is a game of entertainment… even though it does induce the odd heart flutter here and there.
Immaterial of how we played… (or defended)…
Three points in the bag, plenty of time to oil the working parts that is LFC…

I think it’s been two seasons that a team came to Anfield and dared to ask if we have it in us. We certainly had.

But Leeds gave us a game.

3 Likes