Post match: Liverpool v Man City (Community Shield 30/7/22 5pm)

1 Like

So fun, that I don’t even need to attend for everyone to have a great night :wink:

1 Like

I see this escalated quickly. An ‘assist for the assist’ was just a phrase I used to indicate he had a key role in the Nunez goal. Nice cross (pass) to Robbo, whatever. The obvious point of my post was that Mo played well and was involved in all the key moments of the game.

9 Likes

Yeah. Sometimes it’d not about making an assist. Its good enough if you are involved in a passage of passes/play that results in a goal. Fabio noticed Mo and passed to him. Mo did the same to Robbo. Both passes eventually led to Robbo assisting Nunez.

1 Like

You’re totally blind to your own bias, and we’re going to have to listen to this bleating on every thread for another season :weary:

2 Likes

Put me on ignore if you like.

You are equally blind if you think such bias against Liverpool doesn’t exist.
I always considered that forums were places where discussion existed? I understand you not agreeing with me, but maybe the way to disagree is without the thinly veiled insult.
Surely you are better than that?

3 Likes

I’d prefer it if we could keep the bias to actual contentious issues. A referee not seeing a handball, being told to look on the screen, then changing his mind to award a pen isn’t contentious. It’s the system working as it should.

It won’t be long on Saturday until a Fulham player gets away with a knee high off the floor assault on one of our lads, so let’s save it for then.

4 Likes

Ok
I get the point on the penalty. But the decision to allow the City goal was to say the least, poor

1 Like

I’ve watched City’s goal over and over again, first point to make is Trent does fall asleep and lets Foden get beyond him too easily.

Secondly, Robbo takes up an awful position as Virgil & Matip hold the line he’s trodding backwards too close to Virgil playing Foden onside…he has to be closing down that cross into the box.

& then I’m a little more uncertain now whether Adrian spills it due to his momentum of the slide to gather the shot he initially spilled or whether he was put off by Foden’s interception & then was that interception even a clear foul to begin with…I’m not so sure.

The penalty isn’t even debateable, 100% clear.

I think it’s a foul on Adrian. My understanding is that if a keeper has two hands on a ball, it is deemed to be under his control. Apparently it was checked. It looks to me like Foden kicks it out of his hands.

But even amongst Liverpool Fans here, there seems to be no real consensus about this.

6 Likes

It’s a soft goal, Adrian should have done better, on the initial parry and being stronger on the deck. Alisson doesn’t conceed that goal.

Within the realms of did Foden kick it out of his hands, I’m sure he did, but he has a right to go for that ball and it’s 6 of one half a dozen of the other… Certainly no bias it’s a decision which could go either way.

Isn’t the rule this season the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker? Or is that just in marginal offsides?

3 Likes

There is a fair bit of analysis on twitter that it looks like Klopp has found a weakness for City, which is that crossed ball to the fullback and knocking it back across goal. Walker and Cancelo both get caught by it. Hopefully other teams take note!

4 Likes

This is the problem with Adrian all over. Great for him to come in and get all these trophy cameos but really hope Kelleher (and Allison of course) stay fit this season or at least aren’t unavailable at the same time.

6 Likes

Exactly. And be grown up enough to say when the officials did a good job, like they did on Saturday

1 Like

As I’ve said to you a 1000 times, bias exists in everyone. Yes, there seems to be some refs that aren’t aware of their implicit bias towards Liverpool, but there’s no institutional corruption. Just incompetence. It’s ridiculous, and boring, to see conspiracies on every thread. The CEO of the FA is a Liverpool fan who hugged the life out of our guys FFS.

The fact you’re still moaning about decisions that officials (arguably) got right 3 days ago is a case in point

2 Likes

So boring you take time out of your busy schedule to engage in it.
Honestly, I thought there was room for all opinions, but you want everything within the parameters of your thinking.

And telling me something 1000 times (lovely exaggeration by the way) doesn’t make you right.

1 Like

Lol fair points

2 Likes

Does he have a right though? If @Limiescouse is right about the quote from the rules, I don’t see how that’s permissible in any way.

2 Likes

I think that comment is another example of a framing that it is really not helpful. It doesnt matter whether he has a right to go for it…what matters is whether the challenge, that he had a right to go for, whatever that means, was made legally?

If Adrian get both his hands on the loose ball before Foden kicks it then its a foul with no wiggle room for debate over how firmly in control of the ball he was. That by itself is deemed in control using the rule’s definitions. It seemed to me that happened, but I can only image the images the VAR has suggests it’s too close to call hence not overruling the decision. And it’s a decision so far removed from the general debate that I havent seen any sort of footage other than the goal showed in real time to help determine.

2 Likes

I have never forgiven Adrian for Atletico in 2020 and I never will. His kicking is terrible and he can’t hold on to anything. Every save he makes comes back out directly in front of him to create a second opportunity.

I have to remind myself now that he’s our third choice keeper and as third choice keepers go is probably one of the best in the league so it’s unreasonable to be too harsh on him. He reminds me of those terrible years when we had dodgy keepers who you just knew had the potential to undermine everything the rest of the team were doing. We are so spoilt with Alisson.

2 Likes