Post match: Liverpool v Man City (Community Shield 30/7/22 5pm)

If you’re not ready to get excited about hockey assists in a friendly football match I just don’t know what to say…

1 Like

Maybe someone more tech savvy than me, can post a video of the Man City goal?
Personally, I never called for a foul when it happened and I still don’t think it was a foul. I can not relate to the Schmeichel incident as I have not viewed it. I was more annoyed at the fact we got turned over so easy and were 2nd best then to the 50/50s.

On a separate note, why are Man City playing in a West Ham away kit?

Also, I can still not understand why Man City fans still harbour a grudge against Milly. I know he left on a free but it wasn’t as if he was one of their main players and left in a bad circumstances.

2 Likes

The problem is its football not hockey.

The pass to the scorer is an assist. Anything before that is simply a pass

That’s noted as a key pass now. A valid metric on its own as its often that pass, sometimes more difficult to make than the assist itself, that makes the assist possible. For that, see some of the brilliance of Trent’s passing.

2 Likes

What about the pass beofre that? Does that also get counted, or 2 passes before?

Sounds like a load of BS designed to boost the stats of some players purely for doing the basics of their job.

Pass completion is surely a measure of how players perform?

2 Likes

I meant that there was no real controversy on the penalty. It was clear cut.

Getting a bit precious now, aren’t you? Key and progressive passing is a valid way of seeing how players contribute. How difficult is that to understand?

1 Like

But it is just that, a completed pass.

Doesn’t really matter if it is sideways, backwards, forwards or whatever - it is a pass that keeps and recycles possession. The final pass is an assist, but before that they are merely a feign or parry designed to probe where the weakness in the defence lays.

I think you are purposely underplaying the impact of good passing and how much it means to the success of the team.

This discussion started from Mo’s contribution to the match on Saturday.
The pass to the assist was mentioned because (in my view) it demonstrates an element to his game that is often overlooked. He has been described as selfish etc despite having exceptional stats for assists. I don’t understand your difficulty with this being described as a metric to assess his performance by?

1 Like

Far from it. Every completed pass is just as important as it retains possession and always us to build pressure. None is more or less important as long as it is the right pass ie to a player that is able to keep possession before finding the next pass.

So key passes are not relevant?

My point is any successful pass could be classed as a ‘key pass’ as it alters the position and angle from which a team can attack. It purely comes down to an individuals interpretation of how important that particular pass is.

So any sideways pass in defence, if successful can be classed as a key pass?
You are clutching at straws now.

But if inbetween each sideways pass, we see the defensive line moving forward, and the angle of attack is shifting, then how do you rate any 1 particular pass more important than any of the others?

Every pass plays it’s own important part of the move, so for me, unless it is the final pass ie the assist then they all carry equal importance.

Ok
I really don’t agree, but fair enough.

1 Like

So fun, that I don’t even need to attend for everyone to have a great night :wink:

1 Like

I see this escalated quickly. An ‘assist for the assist’ was just a phrase I used to indicate he had a key role in the Nunez goal. Nice cross (pass) to Robbo, whatever. The obvious point of my post was that Mo played well and was involved in all the key moments of the game.

9 Likes