Post match: Rangers v Liverpool (UCL 13/10/22 8pm)

Given Jürgen’s comments I feel that there hasn’t actually been that much adjustment that we wanted to do, but that the team is just kind of falling out of shape a lot, more than he would rather. I suspect that playing him immediately was not so much because of the price tag, but the thought that he’s intelligent enough to adapt to playing with the others, and that more game time doing so would help him adapt sooner.

For example, I can’t remember who said it, either in this thread or another, that he and Salah tend to end up trying to get into similar positions, which was suggested as the reason why Salah seems to be playing a lot wider than he should. Given that Jürgen has commented a lot on how Salah shouldn’t be playing wider, and that we already started our tactical adjustments last season, it might just be the teething problems in settling a new player of a rather different style/characteristic into the team.

Yeah just feel too many things yet happen at the same time for us. Lack of pre-season, new players and tweak in system to accommodate without the pre-season, injuries across the team (which I feel we should have had one or couple of changes to mitigate somehow but no point getting into that now), going for quadruple a season before this weird season and losing two of the key titles doing so, the physical and mental toll, etc. etc.

1 Like

Anyways, this is suppose to be a happy thread :smiley: Hope we build on this (this time) and put a few wins and more importantly few clean sheets to get back the confidence. City would be a great match to build on this.

3 Likes

I think the original plan was to sign Tchouameni in the summer and pay what it took to get him… Then the lad states he wants to join RM, so no amount of money is going to win that signing.
This is the point I think LFC had to alter their intentions…
Viz, bringing in Nunez 6-12months earlier than anticipated… hence the congestion we seeing in our forward-line at the moment
Diaz was a readymade replacement for Mane so numbers remained the same in that area of play…
For what it is worth though, I am glad they have brought the lad in, think he is going to be very special player for us over the coming seasons

2 Likes

Because it’s what the fans called for & the club also thought the same and Nunez happened to be 1 of the best performing strikers across Europe…If people had a ounce of patience in themselves they’ll have a better understanding.

1 Like

Yep! There is that.

1 Like

The issue in hand, with our strikers, is how we can get Salah and Nunez working well together, in the same front three or four.

There’s no way we paid what we did for Nunez to just be an impact sub. Now granted, we are in a period of assimilating him into the set up. And there’s no way we gave Salah the largest wage in our history to make up the numbers.

It seems fair to assume we have in mind that both of them would have a big role to play in the side, with goals, threat, pace, etc.

It’s a puzzle we haven’t solved yet, and I suspect we won’t fully solve either, until more time has elapsed and, crucially, we get more athleticism in the midfield.

Just needs some time. Salah is adept at slipping through balls from the edge of the box. Once Nunez starts making those runs, he’ll be put through.

2 Likes

As it happens, I did. Recorded it to watch later.

Keep it up! :joy: Thankfully we’re past the newborn stage but I can still dimly recall what it’s like - best of luck!

SALAH!!!ya beaut

Mustve pressed wrong button.

Indeed.
The problem is how it’s not expected, given it’s the case with Klopp’s playing style, that it has an expiration date after 6 years (then physical levels drop massively), with evidence in all of his previous reigns, yet he dismisses that notion.
Ideally, he would have learned from it and would had prepared for it, by rebuilding at the best timing possible to avoid such an off season.

And it’s really odd, as one of Klopp’s key characteristics seems to be that he emphasizes learning from his mistakes (it’s clearly part of his mentality and he consciously thinks in this direction, as he often expresses when he talks).

So to me this is a fact that is really puzzling…

2 more shit games to go…THEN we go on our EUROPA RUN

These were the good old days going behind and actually fighting back.

Did some think that was rangers today? :grinning::grinning:

MODS!

Lock It Up Vince Vaughn GIF by filmeditor

Wally…
:wink:

True

1 Like