Premier League 2020/21 (Part 2)

And then Saints get a penalty. 1-0, JWP

5 Likes

Yes but Leicester proved a few times now that they have comeback qualities.

2 Likes

Good result considering the early red

Any news on our preseason schedule? I hope instead of going to some mountain/beach resorts, we have all our preseason games at Anfield.

It would be lovely to have full-house at Anfield ASAP. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Bit of spare time, so watching the start of the Palace Man city game. Palace dispossess City on the edge of their area, and there is a break on. Who else but Fernandinho trips him to stop the counter dead.

Will be many of those no doubt.

Stirling should’ve put Man City ahead by now.

Great move by Palace, but Ward should’ve passed better there. Tugs all from the Man City defenders.

Just before that chance, Townsend running with the ball, and Mendy bumps his leg against his. Not a foul, but of course slows him down to allow the City defence that extra second.

Maybe we need to do these nudges.

VAR check, Jesus scores.

Way offside

HT Palace 0-0 Man City

The first half was very similar to our recent games. Man City of course hogging the ball, with Palace disciplined.

Stirling with the best chance, but tried to take on one too many. Palace caused some problems for City on the break.

A customary Fernandinho tripping to stop a counter attack. Jesus scores but was an obvious offside.

In fact, we’ve carved out many more chances in our recent games than City have done so far in this game. Only thing is, you just know that City will get a quick three goals in the second half.

Hopefully Palace can get some luck and survive, and score a counter. No time to watch the second half. Probably just as well.

1 Like

You needed to stick a bet on that, though it is predictable

1 Like

So, City win and if we win we hand them the Premiership. Sickening really, but win we must.

4 Likes

They are winning it anyway. Can’t think like that.

3 Likes

Shit. Shit. Shit.

I was hoping the Chelsea game would critical so the Cheater would take it seriously.

Is there a plan to get people back in the stadiums? Seems Britain has very low COVID now. Are they looking for some vaccination threshold?

I think on the last matchday of the season against Palace we’ll have 10000 fans at Anfield.

1 Like

Yeah it’s not like eithier option is preferable to the other.

Couldn’t really care less about this season, though if we do win hopefully Chelsea can do a half arsed guest of honour like they did.

1 Like

5 minutes ago I thought maybe, just maybe…

Defensively Fulham are all over the place.

Well that is it for top 4 imo. The only thing that could bring us in with a % of a % of a chance is a win tomorrow, and the next game AND chelsea losing to city. At least that puts some pressure on them.

1 Like

I notice that certain elite teams in Europe like Barcelona, Juventus or Bayern Munich (and even Real) are capable of fielding elite starting 11 squads capable of winning Champions League with 5-6 domestic players at various points over the past decades. None of the elite PL clubs are able to do so for a very long time, perhaps since 2008.

That’s probably a combination of being from countries with better quality national teams and fewer domestic rivals that allow these teams to cherry pick the best players.

3 Likes

Or, they come from countries with better youth systems. I mean, Henderson is arguably the best English midfielder born in 1990 or after, but Spain and Germany have plenty of better midfielders over the past decades.

As for better national teams, having multiple domestic players playing in top national clubs also translates into stronger national teams. Barca/Real and Bayern Munich/Dortmund have formed the backbone of Spain and Germany over the last decade.

You are not going to have a truly powerful national team if the majority of the players come from the likes of Tottenham/West Ham/Leicester City.