Premier League 2020/21 (Part 2)

Fixed it :wink:

1 Like

Ye I gotta be honest that conference league sounds wank.

A bit like that intertoto cup. Remember that

Havertz channelling his inner Werner there.

1 Like

What the fuck

The pass is astonishing enough, but Jorginho just fucking stands there afterwards. :joy:

I don’t know the actual ruling but surely Kepa should have been sent off for that?

WTF happened? My internet went out so my phone froze and it came back at 1-0

Indirect free kick. It’s only a sending-off offence for goalkeepers if they illegally play the ball a second time after a restart to DOGSO (not for the handball itself).

Jorginho passed towards the Chelsea goal thinking that’s where Kepa was positioned. Kepa had to scramble across and blocked the ball from crossing the line with his hand. The ball deflected to an Arsenal forward and was eventually put in.

1 Like

What genius has come up with that?

If a goalkeeper handles it outside his area to stop a goal, like Alisson vs Brighton, it’s a red.

If a defender stops it on the line with his hands on purpose, red.

This incident is no different.

1 Like

I think the issue is that it’s not considered a handball, but some separate offense only applying to keepers. That’s why you see them given as indirect free kicks rather than penalties. In this case though you could argue that it was a DOGSO and so should have ben a red.

No, weirdly that’s not allowed for:

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)

The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction. However, if the offence is playing the ball a second time (with or without the hand/arm) after a restart before it touches another player, the goalkeeper must be sanctioned if the offence stops a promising attack or denies an opponent or the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

2 Likes

Honestly, and we wonder why refs make so many bad decisions. The number of differentials refs have to make is stupid, especially when so much of the logic around them are so dumb.

2 Likes

I assume the governing bodies have never re-evaluated the rules from the ground up? Which means that the backpass rule was awkwardly stapled on top of a century’s worth of exception being made for the GK handling the ball in their area.

“You can handle the ball but uhhh sometimes you can’t? But the handball law wasn’t written for you either, so
 :man_shrugging:”

3 Likes

I can’t see Arsenal keeping a clean sheet, so they going to have to score more.

That is precisely the issue. The entire collection of rules are now a frankenstein’s monster that are often seemingly contradictory or only connected as a result of some sort of Rube Goldberg type machines

2 Likes

How does the Lino miss that?? VAR got it right but that wasn’t even close.

1 Like

Arsenal won’t get that over the line.

That’s what VAR exists for not these line drawing mm ones

1 Like

5 minutes plus. Fuck

1 Like

squeaky bum time

1 Like