R.I.P. Diego Maradona

Did he actually say that? :flushed:

Just goes to prove: once an Evertonian, always Bitter.

2 Likes

The Belgians are coming!!!

2 Likes

I presume so because I read in the daily news online I will copy and paste in a min
Former England striker Gary Lineker said Maradona was ā€œby some distance the best player of my generation and arguably the greatest of all timeā€.

He added: ā€œAfter a blessed but troubled life, hopefully heā€™ll finally find some comfort in the hands of God.ā€

3 Likes

I was staying in a hotel in Buenos Aires a few years ago and when I came out of my bedroom the first morning I was confronted with this :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Great goal but someone should have tackled him or fouled him much before. England played too nice

2 Likes

Did he never play at Anfield?

1 Like

Most outrageously best player of all time imo.
Brought so much joy to the whole non english footballing world in that one match.
:soccer:
:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:
R.I.P.

5 Likes

Terry Butcher said heā€™s often asked why he didnā€™t just kick him and he always replies ā€œI fucking tried!ā€.

13 Likes
7 Likes

15 years to the day that George Best died.

US Thanksgiving must be some sort of Cup day in the afterlife

5 Likes

I wonder if thereā€™s a US farmer somewhere ready to rip out his crop to ā€œbuild itā€?

The little Iā€™ve seen of Best he was most certainly on that same level as Diego. For me anyway, but as I said in the RIP Thread i remember watching Maradona in the Italian league back in the late 80ā€™ early 90ā€™s. Insanely talented league at that time and he was top of the pile.

4 Likes

So we as adults are ok? /phewā€¦

RIP what a fucking unbelievable player. Shits all over Messi.

3 Likes

Amazing player, yet a poster child (for professional footballers) on how not to live your life (Along with Gascoigne, Best, etc)

2 Likes

Maradona 293 goals in 582 first class games including 116 for Argentinos Juniors

Messi 418 goals in 635 first class games

Nahā€¦for me Messi is the better all round playerā€¦

2 Likes

R.I.P. Diego :pray:

2 Likes

I will disagree, Messi has scored the vast portion of his goals in a league where he is (was) playing for one of the 2 dominant teams, some games he scores 3-4 goals as Barca win 6-0ā€¦

So for me goals donā€™t paint the full picture. I never watched Maradona live but watching videos he makes your spine tingleā€¦ Like Fat Ronaldo did.

Maradona carried teams (both domestic and national) on his back, and didnā€™t get done by wee Robbo. No contest. When Maradona played for Barca his ratio was pretty much identical to Messiā€™s (22 in 36).

7 Likes

My earliest memories of football, as an 11-year old in Oz, are from Italia 90.

In the eyes of a kid, watching from literally the other side of the world, blokes like Maradona seemed almost mythical.

RIP

5 Likes

Itā€™s actually amazing that you can think of a player thatā€™s undoubtedly one of the top 3 players of all time, and then wonder how much better he could have been if he hadnā€™t abused his body that much.

6 Likes

We can talk about Messi and C. Ronaldo when they retire (or later).

They are famous footballers.

Legends like Maradona and PelƩ made the game famous.

4 Likes

Would he have been better though or was it the chiz up his snoot?

2 Likes