Racism and all the bad -isms

I guess what’s happened is that she’s made a comment, as she is entitled to do. Leeds have had a go back, as they’re entitled to do, and then a load of bellends have weighed in with abuse that crosses every fucking line.

3 Likes

This is a common internet complaint among people who didn’t like the films, and didn’t like Rey specifically, but I’ve never actually seen anything that puts this on a solid basis. And this despite the internal infighting over these films being fairly public.

For Tent Pole films like these, extensive reshoots are typical, but of these new Disney Star Wars films Johnson’s is generally regarded as having the least amount of reshoots done, and was the director who maintained the most control during that period. We saw Howard’s Solo being basically an entirely new film as a result of his reshoots. Edwards was essentially locked out of the process on Rogue One as Kennedy didn’t like his too soft ending (and to be honest, I think what they ended up with powerful and helped produce arguably the best star wars film since Empire). Likewise with the last film, they had multiple rounds of reshoots and edits, but this was largely because of how badly it was received in test screenings.

My reading of this, in absence of clear reporting demonstrating Kennedy forcing this direction on the film, is people taking isolated issues and combining them in a way that doesnt fit - Kennedy’s presence as a woman in charge of the studio, Kennedy being presented culturally as a Cheryl Sandburg type “lean in” success story of powerful women achieving in male dominated fields, the “force is female” shirts (which was actually an unrelated Nike campaign), and, finally, the overall poor writing of the character.

The consensus is that up until the release of Johnson’s Last Jedi, the problems with the franchise had been Kennedy’s lack of creative oversight rather than her driving it in a specific direction.

Indeed. Of course, it also has now drawn the sexist angle when it really isn’t sexist at all. Nobody would have batted an eyelid if that had been a response to Lineker, for example.

2 Likes

Of course, the pile up would have played out differently as well.

4 Likes

Absolutely nothing wrong with Leeds bit back. But I’ve no doubt a lot of troglodytes saw it as Carte Blanche to fire a load of horrible sexist bile in her direction.

The social media team at Leeds knew perfectly what they were encouraging.

1 Like

Did Carney not know perfectly well what she was suggesting? I find it rather quaint how many media figures are outraged at the idea that media figures should not be treated with kid gloves. They seem rather upset at the idea that social media provides a mechanism which is not under their control.

The abuse is appalling, but frankly the media love playing the same damn game, just under their own rules and never with themselves as the target. The English media is particularly hypocritical in that respect.

5 Likes

She made a valid point that the Covid delay likely helped them recharge for the run-in. It’s happened so many times with Bielsa teams, they blow up at the end of the year, that there is nothing really controversial about it. It’s fine to disagree with that opinion but it is perfectly valid.

The response was pretty pathetic to come from an official account.

I’m looking forward to her being proven right and the team blowing up yet again.

1 Like

This is the dilemma. I think if you have a social media presence you have to be somewhat responsible for how discussion on the platform develops. If you don’t have the resources to police it then you probably should stay away from areas that will act as cat nip for the troglodytes.

What she said invited a response. Leeds should be careful not to take too much umbridge yet because beating West brom doesnt disprove her argument, but beyond that they also should be aware that the pile on was always going to be different when directed towards her than if it was directed towards a white guy like Alan Shearer. It’s shit we have to make these considerations, but we dont get to choose the world we live in.

2 Likes

If she had just said it helped them re-charge I would agree entirely but she went a bit further than that,

I actually think they got promoted because of Covid in terms of it gave them a bit of respite. I don’t know if they would have got up if they didn’t have that break.

6 Likes

I don’t really agree with the criticisms about the Leeds post in that article. Frankly, I feel media personnel are too much protected.

1 Like

Personally I think it’s funny when Klopp makes snidey comments about people in the media (Gary Neville) or when Kenny treated Shreeves like the dickhead he is. Leeds’ response was as mild as it gets and as far as I can see they didn’t even tag/mention Carney?

Much ado about nothing.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with that? That’s exactly what happened the year before.

For what it’s worth, I fucking hate Leeds and their fans. Any club that revels in “Everyone hates us we don’t care” is always full of dickheads. Bielsa is massively overrated as well. Fingers crossed they blow up and get relegated but this time never come back.

1 Like

I take it Millwall isn’t your second team then??

1 Like

I’d be perfectly happy with Millwall being liquidated. It would actually improve football if that happened.

3 Likes

I was going home on a Saturday arvo once, on the train from London Bridge to Peckham…

The four or so minutes to South Bermondsey were fucking scary.

4 Likes
4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It’s why I moved there…

(not really)

1 Like

She has made an observation that Leeds benefitted from the lockdown as Bielsa is so demanding on the players working as hard as they do, and questioned if they would have gone up without the break?

Fair question as under Bielsa, Leeds have been netorious for falling away in the latter part of seasons. Leeds Social Media account took exception and posted a small clip and now their knucle dragging fans have set on Cairny purely for having an opinion.

1 Like