Racism and all the bad -isms

If it were the other way around, would the same advice apply? :joy:

I didnt bother with the police, why ruin my own friday even more in that situation, as i said, he didnt say anything specifically racist, but, the whole interaction leads me to believe he clearly has an issue with people that look different. Had he not been drinking id have tried to talk to him.

I had it growing up regularly, and am almost 40, past dealing with the odd idiot. Its few and far between to be honest. Just the first time in quite a while and not very nice.

2 Likes

You likely encountered someone who says “reverse racism is the real racism” at least twice per week

Racism is a two way street.
I was racially targeted at Heathrow by security.
She shit a brick when I asked for her supervisor to report her for it.
Bitch.

2 Likes

Straight to anti-racism training with you…

Happens to me every time we fly. They have to pull me over and have a chat to fulfil their profiling quotas.

1 Like

And me

Last time I flew…the alarms went off …they searched me…pat down…3 times…in the end they couldn’t find anything…but failed to notice a metal hairslide in my hair…I ask you…

My old mum used to have a pacemaker fitted… Became a well known fact, that she couldn’t shop in ASDA because she herself set the security tag alarms off, every time she went through the exit doors…!
All the other supermarkets she never had a problem with… but ASDA, was a definite no no :0)

Hope you don’t mind if I bring your quote over to this thread @mascot, but the UK politics thread is permanently off-topic and this one seems more appropriate.

But I wanted to respond by saying that I would actually prefer the term ‘racism’ to drop out of existence entirely and ethnic discrimination (ethnicism) given its equivalent weighting in society. ‘Race’ really doesn’t serve any purpose these days.

Ethnicity isn’t without its problems of course. But you can at least apply some level of science to it and it won’t fall apart like race does.

3 Likes

I worked on a project years ago which was related to discrimination in HR (for Scottish Government). One of the things that they based this on was self-declared identity, which I thought was a silly way of doing things. What they wanted to measure was the unconscious bias of the recruitment system.

Anyway, part of what was tried was creating similar applications with the name of the applicant and their schooling changed. What we did find is that there was a bias against people with with minority ethnic sounding names or religious schools.

The recommendations at the time were that the applications should be assessed without the names of the applicants or their schools being disclosed.

I lost the argument about the self-declared ethnic identity, though.

The name thing is well known and has been demonstrated in a variety of different ways. There’s an amazing section of the well known Freakonomics books that tries to argue this isnt racism, but an effect of people not wanting to hire people for negative traits like laziness and untrustworthiness they just associated with being being black :open_mouth:

For the school thing, is this really an anti-catholic thing? I’d imagine that one of the driving factors behind sending a kid to a religious school would be to get a religious education that was not the official state religion. If that is true, it would make a religious school education be a marker for being catholic.

In the west of Scotland, particularly around Glasgow, you will often find people fishing around with questions like “Which school did you go to?” Catholic schools tend to have names like St Theresa’s so it’s an easy connection to make. The other thing with schools is that they are often a marker for social class. If someone says that they come from Dollar Academy it marks them out as being from a nice middle-class background compared to, say, Hillpark in Glasgow, which hs a bit of a reputation for being rough.

should have told him you’re not racist, but your dog is. :slight_smile:

A good friend of mine in grad school was horrified to find out that the year-old dog he adopted had a mortal hatred/fear of black people. In North Carolina, that is somewhat of a problem, and leads to people forming opinions about the owner.

Also hated everyone who was wearing a hat, problematic in another way.

our Chinese Crested Powder-Puff named “Truffles” used to accompany the Mrs to her downtown office for 10yrs. used to snap at any men walking on gravel and anyone in an UPS uniform.

Can’t tell you how many of my ball teammates she’d nipped at over the years. all men.

But she definitely snarled at the UPS uniform.

So do I and particularly anyone who drives in a hat. They are either boy racers in baseball caps, old men in trilbys or old women in beanie hats. All are a menace on the road…

My father always drove in a trilby no matter what the weather. He once hit a street light and complained to the council that it was badly positioned.

I wear a hat almost all the time. it’s cold here and I have no hair so it keeps my head warm and the rain off my glasses.

2 Likes

She must have been a keen cyclist at one time… she still wears the helmet :0)

You can tell by looking at her that she’s certainly not a man

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

Does the bike Austin Killips use have a crossbar… or not :person_shrugging: Just asking is all