Racism and all the bad -isms

itd be also interesting to know the breakdowns…

how many in 8 people think black people are lazy from

people who identify as south east asian, muslim, white and even black…

i reckon thered be a bit of a shock coming…

alot of people internally blame thier own culture… people (myself included) just assume its white on black lazy idealism… but theres plenty of internal hatred for ones own race…happens very frequently

not the greatest example, but when travelling if i hear that australian accent and see a southern cross neck tatoo…i immediately have a thought process…and its not exactly pride…

1 Like

It’s on the front page of the guardian, but without looking I think it’s a weighted 2000 person representative sample of the UK, and race wasn’t the only issue, so I don’t think it would have just surveyed white people.

When you think about it, that probably weights the survey towards more racist white people that less, right?

It’s a big enough thing for universities to need to do more to ensure state school pupils are better represented among new admissions.

Sure thing - it’s the hyperlink from this bit of text in the article “The Office for Students looked at overlapping factors - such as poverty, race, gender and where people live - which are indicators of whether someone is likely to go to university.”

2 Likes

Just to be clear, I think this is a massive, massive problem. Because this happens to be my personal background.

But what it isn’t, is work based employment discrimination.

With the best will in the world, a company of lawyers, or civil engineers, or journalists are not going to be able to address this issue by positively discriminating in favour of uneducated white boys, and when Sky suggest they want to make an appointment to a correspondent position from the BAME community, they aren’t talking about employing a school leavers with no GCSEs who happens to be black. They are looking for a highly qualified person.

The people they are discriminating against is highly qualified white people, and they probably will be alright.

You will if you try to get a job at the BBC.

Positive discrimination will only exacerbate the problem of racial prejudice, not remedy it.

I’m not sure insulting erstwhile supporters by calling them prejudiced and ridiculing their fears will win any hearts and minds.

2 Likes

Yeah, but again we aren’t talking about work based employment discrimination are we.

Are we saying that having graduated from Cambridge with a double first, Joe Whiteboy is subject to similar levels of discrimination because of his upbringing, as a equivalently qualified black lad?

1 Like

Really? Why?

But why? Ijust don’t get this. Every child on this planet had a mother and a father. Male and female. They can call themselves chickens and identify as housebricks but they ARE the mother and father.

Because it’s kind?

I hear what you say. The discrimination will favour highly qualified BAME people over highly qualified white people.

No matter how you dress it up, you are simply justifying another, different form of racial discrimination.

It will lead to resentment and accusations of virtue signalling, box ticking, and tokenism.

It will make the situation worse, not better.

No, but Joe Whiteboy is much less likely to have gone to Cambridge in the first place if he’s from a disadvantaged socio-economic background compared with someone of minority ethnicity who went to private school.

That’s a comparative disadvantage that he’s unlikely to ever overcome, even though by comparison with someone of minority ethnicity who shares his socio-economic background he benefits from the relative privilege of being white.

1 Like

Kind to ignore the facts of biology? That’s not kindness, that’s plain stupid IMHO.

I completely agree. Completely.

But the issue of educational opportunities is just not the same as work based discrimination.

We were having a conversation about unconscious bias training to mitigate discrimination in interviews, before Lowton brought access to education for white kids into it.

By the way, unconscious bias processes are basically about judging people on their qualifications, Experience and suitability for the job, and nothing else. That benefits white people from poor backgrounds just as much as black people.

Yeah, if I’m a midwife and one of my patients doesn’t want to called the term mother, it’s absolutely no skin off my nose. Might mean the absolute world to that person though, and that’s the point.

Of course we could say, I understand you don’t want be known as mother, but I’m sorry that’s the correct biological term and you can get used to it, you silly woman.

I don’t think it would make me a very nice person though.

My first instinct would be yes, it would be more than one in eight white people, but I do wonder.

White people might be very well rehearsed at practicing institutional racism, but you could also argue most Asian people assume anyone not Asian is lazy, that’s a stereotypical myth in itself that asians work harder than anyone else. Then there’s the self loathing aspect of it.

It is interesting though, don’t you think, that we immediate assume it’s white on black discrimination whilst giving other ( lesser population) raves a bit of a free pass.

Maybe it’s skewed the other way.

1 Like

In my working class community what has always held young people back is discrimination against the area,nothing the government have done has made things better,certainly not “positive :rofl:investment”

You’re talking like someone who made it out of your working class area,what about those who haven’t,do you think they hold a grudge against those who won’t employ them for the reason given above.

When you look for a job and come from where i do,area is and has always been seen before anything else.

2 Likes

That’s true.

Here is graph from the poll by the way.

1 Like

Nice isn’t the point. Factually correct absolutely is.

Fuck me. This is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Unconscious bias process, like what people were complaining about, at their core help people from your community, because employers can only judge them on their qualifications, experience and suitability.

The only reason I ‘made it out’ (what ever that means) is that I got an education. Not even that great of one, to be honest. That’s it.

I don’t know how many times I can say this, but the problem of work based discrimination against black people is simply not the same as lack of education for poor kids. They are different issues.

They are both massive problems and no good comes from the way the discourse on this tends to pit one marginalised group against another (while the upper class lads who run everything piss themselves laughing at us).

The fact is that you make it harder for employers to discriminate against people, and white working class people benefit. Improve educational opportunities for working class people, and black people benefit from that too.

I know it’s become a cliched word, but intersectionality really is a thing. We all benefit.

1 Like