Racism and all the bad -isms

Almost every movie with Steven Seagal…

3 Likes

:thinking:
You saw my piss taking :+1:

Threw it right back at me

2 Likes

I personally believe there was an agenda, led by Kathleen Kennedy. That is evidenced by her involvement in the second film and the numerous reshoots etc. She wanted to tell her story, her way.

:laughing: Cant argue that but I would hold up any Steven Seagal film as an example of a great film.

Another one that does spring to mind is Commando (Arnie) but that is unashamedly being exactly what it is.

1 Like

No real man watches Star Wars anyway. Discuss.

1 Like

Under Siege absolute classic
https://youtu.be/m5Py6DmSe58

1 Like

I would disagree on Commando. Although Arnie is badass throughout the whole film, he does almost lose to Bennett. He also didn’t know for most of the movie that Bennett was still alive. You don’t usually see that in a Seagal movie.

It also doesn’t take itself quite as seriously as Seagal movies do.

I think a better example is the Ghostbusters movie because I believe the director said something to the effect of “any man who doesn’t like this film is a sexist”.

But she got a lot of shit for that and wasn’t portrayed as righteous or progressive for that viewpoint and comment.

1 Like

Agreed it’s just not serious but when you have a guy that can smell the baddies coming and can stand in the open shooting everyone then I think it does. But it is exactly what it says on the tin. Star Wars isn’t. No where does it say that a new jedi shall arrive and without training be the most powerful jedi ever lived. That just flies in the face of every Star Wars film, book, whatever beforehand. Becoming a Jedi was about development. Rey skipped that bit.

I wasn’t aware of that but that sounds about right. In that case we could add Captain Marvel to that list. Brie Larsen hasn’t exactly done herself any favors either.

1 Like

It’s just as well Captain Marvel didn’t show up until Endgame. Had she shown up any earlier in the Avengers MCU Thanos would have been only a cameo.

2 Likes

You missed out utterly destroying the classic male characters which is arguably the worse crime.

Once upon a time, people told stories. Now they use their “platforms” to ram whatever the latest politically correct drivel is down our throats. Dr Who, Star Wars, Startrek all the same. What they did to Jean Luc Picard was nothing less than cultural arson.

IF she was the most talented actress for the role, fine. But it’s obvious (as pointed out above) that she’s been chosen because she’s black which surely is the fundamental of racism. Positive discrimination based on skin colour. Utterly utterly ridiculous.

Perfect example. Game of Thrones. The northerners were all white (obviously) and the southerners all had darker skin. Makes perfect sense, good actors all round and no clashing ridiculous agenda politics and diversity quotas. Just the right people for the job.

4 Likes

You’re right although I did touch on it with Finn. Why was he in those films? Other than being a janitor that happened to know how certain high spec equipment on the Super Star Destroyers worked. A little too convenient don’t you think. His part diminished as the series went on etc.

I’m certain that she has been selected because they believe that she has the talent for the role and I can understand the awkwardness of not being able to select her because her skin colour is not factually correct but is this right?

my concern is that because they have selected her they may push other aspects to embellish the character.

1 Like

Just a thought, but can we transform this thread into something positive.

Rather than talking about controversies and abuses, let’s talk about good things that have been done. Or your vision/dream regarding race/religion, gender justices.

2 Likes

Are you John Lennon re-incarnated?

1 Like

I’m kinda dumb, I will admit to that :innocent:

2 Likes

All fair enough, but I doubt that people using arts/entertainnent to further an agenda is a new phenomenon.

5 Likes

What we need to get to is the point where race, size, sexual orientation etc etc is not a factor at all. You don’t get there by telling the world that your next series will feature the world’s first LGBTQ BAME (don’t get me stared on that one) act who has the following prefered titles and identifies as a houseplant.

Take an example. Bond. He is unbelievably suave, tough, hard drinking, hard hearted, misogynistic and (by some people’s opinions) a dinosaur. A relic from a bygone age. People go to the cinema (did :slight_smile: ) to see that character as secretly, lots of us men would like to be him and lots of women want a man who’s big and strong, effortlessly cool and handsome and will protect them. Anybody would think that we’re genetically linked to stone aged man. You can’t shake human nature no matter how much it offends some. Men are stronger and go out to kill lunch, women have children and have all the apparatus to nurture them. That’s basic humanity and will be a key in decision making even in these supposedly enlightened times. Not that women should stay home, just that there are (and long may that continue) essential differences between the sexes.

Creating a Bond that’s utterly neutered or female is not appealing to the bulk of cinema goers. The days of go woke or go broke ended when the returns on woke programming came in lower than Arsenal’s league position.

6 Likes

Read up the comments about Star Trek Discovery online.
It’s all woke nonsense apparently pushing women and black people.

It’s a new thing

Or is it :thinking:

4 Likes

You might argue that even the orignal Star Trek had a pretty clear ideology and agenda.

5 Likes

It definitely did.

Thankyou Mr Roddenbury way ahead of his time.

3 Likes