Ray Clemence RIP

Bill Shankly just signed a truly great keeper for his Heavenly Kingdom Premier League team.

Ray was the best keeper I ever saw play for Liverpool and I go back to Tommy Younger

14 Likes

Best keeper ever… RIP Ray Clemence

2 Likes

Best Keeper ever, without any shadow of doubt. RIP Ray, thanks for all the memories.

3 Likes

Would you guys please repost all those clips, tweets etc. from other thread here. Would be nice to have all things Ray in one place.

3 Likes

Literally just read this whilst talking to my step dad about our chances against Leicester.
Ray was the keeper who played for my mighty Reds. He was that last line of defence who would throw his body at anyone who dared to get past the Red wall. He was magnificent, big, loud on the pitch, arm pointing at opposition players who could be a danger screaming out instructions.
No idea why he went to Spurs bar a few odd mistakes but he left us and went on to play another 300 games for them as
well as his post playing hi but days as England coach.
Only 72…72 fgs…
Yet another reason to check on your own tackle.
RIP big man.

2 Likes

RIP Clemmo.

First game I went to was against Norwich with Fashanu playing and Clemence was in goal. He exuded authority and to my mind was better than Shilton and should have had a lot more England caps.

Top fella too. Genuinely sorry to hear this.

3 Likes

One of the best Keepers of all time. RIP Legend.

1 Like

RIP. Absolute legend. Before my time but I understand the affection for him.

Condolences to family, friends and the football community

1 Like

There are many tribute posts of Ray in the former players thread.
Please could the mods merge those posts into this thread , thank you.

3 Likes

I have these images in my mind of Ray in motion.
He had that habit of his of never ever turning his back on play after he’d cleared the ball from the box. His running backwards with those high elbows and his chin pointing slightly upwards, proud and secure in his abilities. Attention to detail and phenomenal concentration levels at all times. That uncannily good positioning of his on the edge of the six yard box, and the speed at which he collected the ball and kicked upfield under much more pressure from forwards than modern goalies have to deal with.
All these images don’t even begin to do the man justice, but they kind of sum up the footballer.
RIP big guy.

4 Likes

What??? No… just saw this.

Terrible news, may he rest in peace and my condolences to his family / close friends.

2 Likes

True club legend. Deepest condolences to his family.

Rest in Peace YNWA

3 Likes

Ray was integral to our club over many years and his name was very familiar to me throughout his career.
One of the legends in the game for mine.
Rest in Peace Ray YNWA.

2 Likes

What a heart breaking and beautiful tribute by Ray’s daughter. :sob: :broken_heart:

7 Likes

He was my idol growing up
I lost my Dad two weeks ago too
2020 blows

8 Likes

So sad to hear of his passing away,
RIP legend
YNWA

3 Likes

Oh Bostonmick,
So sorry to hear of your loss.
My deepest condolences to you and the family. :pray: :palms_up_together:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Remember when he took over from Tommy Lawrence… He just looked like a slip of a lad…
But over the seasons what a goalkeeper he turned into. Athletic and agile at all times, he ended up with the broadest of shoulders to complete the requirement… So so brave coming out to wrestle the ball from the forwards feet, this being in the days when his head could have landed in the stands… If a shot could be saved, nine times out of ten… this guy saved it.
If people feel secure in the knowledge that Allison is today’s last line of defence… Ray Clemence offered over that same confident feeling, week in week out for over ten seasons…
Rest In Peace…

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that, mate. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Yeah, 2020… what a year, eh? :cold_face:

RIP Ray. A true Liverpool giant. YNWA

4 Likes