Religion in all its Forms

Because somebody cannot prove something readily does not necessarily equate to it to being untrue.

But it doesn’t mean that it’s true, which is the point.

Once again, it’s not necessary to disprove all the possible truths in the universe. That is clearly absurd. If you believe something is true, then convince us with solid, logical evidence.
Why is that too much to ask?

If all the time, effort and money that is invested in belief in supernatural beings was invested in the promotion, care and respect for nature, how much healthier our society and planet would be.

1 Like

I suppose people who believe in God, or any deity have faith that they exist.
Personally, if someone truly believes then as long as they dont press it on anyone, or their belief has no negative effect on anyone else, then who needs proof?

1 Like

It matters because they are wasting time and energy on a fallacy at a time when the world is literally burning.

Read my point again maybe.
The part where I said “no negative effect”

Do you honestly believe that if religion didn’t exist that the planet would be in better shape?

1 Like

Yes, I do.

I long for the day that the human race grows up and stops believing in fairy tales.

Let’s imagine this scenario. The Pope wakes up one morning and has a revelation. ‘Hang on’, he says, ‘Fuck all this Christianity shit, let’s talk about what really matters’ He calls his advisors together and says ‘Ok, we’re going to devote all the wealth, power and influence of the Catholic church to protecting nature. We’ll promote biodiversity, sustainability and regeneration of rain forests’. He goes out and preaches that gospel to the faithful.
Wouldn’t that be a better world?

1 Like

Actually just to use an example, Klopp and the club believes that Keita is still gonna be good for us and stuck with him and even news of renewing his contract and they probably have reasons for that sort of belief in the player, there are however opposing views to that and there are reasons they would have to support their beliefs. My point is that, the way we believe in God and stuffs like these can be likened to many things that we believe in life. Some people believe in aliens. Some people believe in afterlife. Some people believe in ghosts. And they would put up evidences that they believe strongly supports their beliefs.

My belief in God has grown stronger over the last 30 years since I first encountered God when I was 17. Throughout this time, I have a number of personal experience that strengthen that belief. I can go on to share but my point whenever I share is that I share to share, never to convince because there is no way I am going to be able to summon God to come down in physical form at will to stand in front of anyone, nor do I think God walks around with a name tag that you would know its Him even if He were to appear. And I respect your chain of questioning because I do think that your chain of questioning is respectful enough because I think those are sincere questions and doubts instead of obvious antagonization and I face plenty of that where people are happy to come and tell me in my face “fuck Jesus…” and then follow up “See, he is not real, I can fuck Him and I am still here.” Over the years, to these people, my response has always been “Sure…whatever rocks your boat!” “I believe my God” " You believe in what you believe" “I am not going to antagonize you just because you think that you are going to get a response from me.” God does not need me to defend Him. And I told once of my childhood friends who still do this to me from time to time haha…I said " I share what I think is right, not why I think you are wrong, so maybe you can do the same thing, just share what you think is right rather than focusing so much on why I am wrong, cos I will never think I am wrong anyway regarding my belief in God"

EDIT: In any case I am on the side too that the religious institutions whether the Catholic or Protestant churches, alot of them are screwed up. They do more harm than good. And I have seen my fair share of that too myself.

3 Likes

Yes I know.

Nah, would just split the church in two and they’d start fighting. That’s what religions do, ultimately.

Ignorance shows here maybe read the words of revelation 9:4

Universal truth, Atheists tend to know the bible better than Christians. Practicing Christians just tend to listen to chosen passages in church. My mum’s a fanatical Catholic, never read the bible.

Maybe we have different understanding of the word fanatical

1 Like

This is a bigger fairy story than any form of religion.

For someone so keen on proof/evidence, you make a lot of wild generalisations based on people that you know.

1 Like

Not really the point.

You asked whether the world would be better without religion, which is an impossibility, and I answered with a hypothetical scenario.

Maybe that was too subtle. I’ll make it plain:
The world would be better without religion

Ok
You missed the point.

I don’t disagree that the world would be better without religion.
But I think its nonsense to believe the planet wouldn’t be in the state it is, with religion or not.

It would be in a state, because people have weaknesses like greed, envy, selfishness etc whether they’re religious or not, but we’d be in a better position to deal with the problems.
Take the situation of women, for example. All around the world women are oppressed, exploited and even enslaved, and this is often justified by reference to religious laws and traditions. Free and independent women tend to be more educated and tend to have fewer children. The emancipation of women would relieve overpopulation issues.
Just one example.

1 Like

Do you not think that men in these places would just use a different excuse to keep women down?Blaming religion is a handy excuse for these men who know already that they are doing wrong.The world over there are men who do this to women and they don’t need religion to do it.

5 Likes

Would it be as organised and extensive without the framework of religion?