Roger Hunt 1938-2021

Hunt was the Reds’ top scorer for eight successive seasons, beginning in 1962.

• 41 goals in as many games – including five hat-tricks – as Liverpool won the Second Division title in 1961–62.

• Hunt won 34 caps for England, scoring 18 goals.

Rest in Peace legend.

3 Likes

Roger Hunt was one of my boyhood heroes. His death today has made very sad.

He was a decent man and a decent player. A prolific unassuming scorer of goals. His goals came from hard work and bravery rather than guile and trickery

Thinking about him today I was struck by the sad coincidence of his death following so quickly after the death of Jimmy Greaves. This stirred a memory from my youth.

Good Friday 1963 Liverpool beat Spurs 5-2 after being 2 down at half time. This was a big deal at the time. It was our first season back in the big time and playing Spurs the great team of that era. This was Danny Blanchflowers Spurs, double winners. The match was seen as a real test of our credentials.

Although neither scored that day it was the beginning of the Greaves/Hunt controversy. Three years before the World Cup

After the remarkable second half comeback we were delirious on the Kop and we sang

”Hunts better than Greaves, Hunts better than Greaves ey ay addio Hunts better than Greaves”

RIP Jimmy and Roger.

( NOTE:- In the return fixture on Easter Monday both scored at White Hart Lane. We lost 7-2 Greaves got 4 and Hunt 2)

9 Likes

I was there too…what a memorable match…that was the day I began to believe we could truly compete with the top teams…

1 Like

RIP Roger Hunt

well before my time but loving hearing these stories of people who lived through that era.

thoughts are with the family.

2 Likes

RIP Sir

1 Like

My dad talked about him with real fondness. A real gent, humble, unassuming, but an excellent striker.

RIP Sir Roger

2 Likes

A quick heads-up: Kevin Keegan will be on Radio 4 at 08:25 to talk about Sir Roger, if anyone is interested.

1 Like

RIP Roger Hunt
will never be forgotten

1 Like