Russian War Crimes (Part 1)

Not entirely sure why I’m shown to have “liked” this post, nor why I’m unable to change it.

As per my follow up response, promising a referendum on EU membership secured Cameron the GE 2015 election victory. It’s why we had the referendum in 2016. Which resulted in the single biggest democratic vote in UK history.

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

We were obviously talking about different things ; you were referencing his manifesto pledge , I was talking about the announcement.

Regardless , you still maintain that pledge won the 2015 election for Cameron , and I would still beg to differ. Cameron made that pledge to see off a challenge from the Tory right. The election he subsequently won had more to do with Labour parachuting in an uncharismatic , and frankly unelectable, leftist leader in Ed Milliband and the collapse of the Lib Dems after the ignominy of being in coalition with the Tories , than it ever did with a more general desire to cut ties with Europe.

1 Like

Yeah, because the largest turnout in UK political history with 17.5m people voting to leave the EU the very next year doesn’t suggest it would have been a factor…

It was that pledge that was, as you put it

That came ahead of the 2015 GE. The 2017 GE took place AFTER the EU referendum had already happened.

Yeah , and in that election May won with a reduced majority , like I originally said.

2 Likes

Lads, really, take it to the UK politics thread. It just seems kinda tasteless to be discussing Brexit here with all that’s going on.

12 Likes

She wasn’t elected on the promise of holding a referendum on membership of the EU though, that was 2 years earlier :man_facepalming:

The 2017 GE returned 80% vote in favour of parties promising to implement that referendum result.

1 Like
2 Likes

Agree 100%

2 Likes

I suspect Russia hopes there will be a Cease Fire on their terms before that: