Saudi Pro League and Sportswashing Projects

Question is why LIV hasn’t.

I can see TNT buying this.

The LIV/USPGA/DP merger seems murky at best, I don’t think anyone really understands the implications of it.
I don’t see their party style 54 hole no cut format, where finishing last gets a player £50k payment standing the test of time in TV rights competition with “proper” golf tournaments.

To quote a great man, “If LIV were playing in my back garden, I’d draw the curtains”

2 Likes

I expect someone would attempt to but yeah I don’t think Sky Sports would take it up with the murky waters still around that deal.

Star Trek Borg GIF

Maybe he come to the conclusion he will never reach the heights necessary to become manager of LFC… Unless of course, he heads a consortium to buy out FSG in a few years and appoints himself…
Now where on earth could he make the right money connections in the next year or two :thinking:

1 Like

I’ll bet £10 with anybody that this league will be integrated with the Champions’ League within 3 years.

Nah, it will just take a shit ton of money. They’re not doing this for fun, this is a very serious play to take all the world’s football money. Blame Musk as the days of oil billions are numbered.

I don’t think so. Their objective is to dominate the World Club Cup, FIFA’s answer to CL.

And still, Frank Lampard waits for the call…

This is the challenge of these conversations. The criticisms of Saudi sports washing are multifaceted and very often different criticisms get rolled into one.

The prem clearly has no place in arguing about unbalancing competition or any of these pure economic arguments. Gary Medel left a CL side in Spain with an outside shot at the title if Real and Barca had an off year to go and join Cardiff. But the source of the money is obviously very different and has different implications.

Much of the criticism right now is pure protectionism and defending self interest. These people may allude to the human rights aspects of the money, but, as shown with the PGA, as soon they can find their place in this new economic model they treat the saudis as legit business partners and sweep these abuses under the rug. I think we need to be conscious to not only not conflate different arguments, but also try to understand why certain parties react how they do which is very often different than the core argument they are making.

3 Likes

Yeah it will be the world club cup.

The prize is $10,000. The same guy has won for sixteen years in a row, thus shortening his own life by perhaps 20 years. Anyway, the PIF just announced it has bought the competition, and next year’s prize will be $40M. It will take place on the last day of the Saudi Pro League season in Riyadh, and the dogs will be beef, not pork.

1 Like

I hope Bobby is the top scorer!

I couldn’t a shit.

It’s going make the 90s MLS look like PL.

Ittihad
Karim Benzema
N’Golo Kante
Jota

Al-Hihal
Ruben Neves
Kalidou Koulibaly
Milinkovic-Savic

Al Ahli
Edouard Mendy
Firmino

Ettifaq
Steven Gerrard

Nassr
Brozovic
Christiano Ronaldo

Considering of what they’ve been linked too it’s not an amazing list.

1 Like

This season. The thin end of the wedge has been inserted though.

1 Like

They will have to start flashing the cash though.

So far that seems a little vacant from them.

This 100%. Now consider the hammer that is Club World Cup, and imagine what can happen in five years.

1 Like