SKY and BT PPV PL games

Disgusting. I hope hardly anyone takes up the “offer”.

1 Like

Agree but I think there is a very real risk that the premium games (which would be expected to be broadcast) become the games that become PPV.

They might not be the overt City, United, Everton games. But would not be surprised if say Leicester or Spurs games became PPV matches.

2 Likes

I put all my spending onto a Tesco Mastercard which then racks up “points” to spend in the store or on 3 for one offers. It means I get 4 weeks Sky Sports via NOW TV for the equivalent of £13 worth of Tesco groceries. Doesn’t mean you can watch these particular games but it works for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for that tip. But we don’t know what these “unscheduled” matches are going to cost on top of the monthly pass. And it won’t cover the matches that will be shown on BT rather than Sky.

1 Like

Completely agree. Who would be daft enough to pay what? 15 pounds per game? Absolutely stupid, especially in a time when the stands are empty and, thus, there isn’t any atmosphere at all. Lately, I find myself far less motivated to watch our games to be honest, and I couldn’t be bothered enough to watch other games, never mind paying for them.

In my opinion, this is a magnificent own-goal. As far as I’m concerned, they won’t receive one single penny from me.

That is true but I get BT Sport through my BT internet deal. The Sky bonus during the summer was I got to watch a lot of cricket too. I also time my 4 weeks Sky pass to cover as many of our games as possible.

1 Like

At a guess,they are testing the water,if they get away with it now,i reckon they’ll try making this the norm in the not to distant future,just another way to scalp fans.Similar to what Sky and BT sport are already doing with the boxing,you pay your monthly fee then have to pay £25 PPV for the big fights.

If this was just a scheme to get more money into the clubs while they are losing money through the turnstyles because of Covid for this season then i’d be all for it,but i’d imagine the bulk of it is going into the greedy TV companies pockets.

How much of this £15 goes towards the clubs to help them out?? there should be a breakdown of where the money is going,also an option of who you’re paying to watch,so a 3 way split for example (1 million fans pay for LFC v Man U,out of every £15 subscription £5 goes to SKY or BT and the other £10 gets split between the 2 clubs,with the home team getting £3 to cover gate receits and the other £7 split in accordance to which team option you picked to watch),now if i knew that was happening,i’d be a little happier about it.

I think it’s time for FSG to get their heads down and look more into opening up their Sports Network TV Channel to televise LFC games on a subscription basis,if this is the road Sky/BT are looking at going down,i’d much rather pay them 1 fee and help the club out at the same time, than have to pay Amazon,Sky,BT AND a PPV fee over a season,where the bulk of the money goes into greedy bastards pockets.

EDIT: Just did a quick check and i pay £776 a year for Sky Sport,BT Sport and Amazon,thats before i take into account any PPV events i may pay to watch,if i paid £15 for every LFC league game it’s £570,i know which option i’d rather pay for.

1 Like

Make no mistake about it. This is a weather balloon for a new viewing model. If they get take up for the £15 games (and they will, cos people can’t get out and want something to do) then you’ll see games moving to that model permanently. Like they do with the boxing.

Personally, I still don’t understand why I can’t pay a subscription and watch the Liverpool games.

1 Like

Larger what? :thinking:

5 Likes

You forgot to add our Champions League and (admittedly few) domestic cup games to your sums.

1 Like

Well spotted, i went back and checked just in case you edited it. :smiley:

True i guess but i’d imagine us not playing many domestic Cup matches,13 games to get to the CL final is another £195 (going off £15 a game).Thats still roughly what i’m paying for all the sports channels.

I’m a massive sports fan in general and watch quite a few,hence the Sky,BT and Amazon (thats not including LFCTV aswell) subscriptions i pay for but if they go down the PPV road and forced it on us,i’d gladly give up paying £700+ a year to all those channels and pay it all or a large portion of it to a dedicated LFC channel that showed every game live,if the option was there.

Please sign above if you don’t agree with the £15 ppv charge!

1 Like

False debate about going to a match, even if I have to travel and pay another £20 on the top of the match day ticket.

The quality being served up for these matches isn’t great and if I’m honest the experience of watching them has been lost a bit. Also some games are worth more.

There is a difference between being there and watching it on TV without a crowd and Martin Tyler sounding like on the verge of suicide when Liverpool score.

Does LFCTVGO show live games, 'cause that’s free for a month then £49.99 a year.

1 Like

Nope they arent allowed.

Cheers…what a bugger…thought I’d found a way…I have Sky Sports and BT sport…but I haggle the prices and have everything on half price…so anyone out there get haggling!!!, I’ll listen on LFC.

Does anyone else think this is a missed opportunity from the P/L to look into streaming games themselves via their own site/media channel?

Set up 2 different options 1 being club based option where you specify a certain club and any of their games not shown on Sky/BT get put on the P/L channel.

Option 2 being the full league, so any game in the league not already contracted to be shown by Sky/BT get shown and if you have the package can watch whatever games you fancy.

With the restriction of crowds for this season, an idea like this should have been looked at with the view to bringing the full TV rights inhouse when the next deal is up. I imagine that the cost outlay would be fairly minimal as they have most of the kit and equipment but they could sell either a full season package or a 1 off game deal around the world and bring in more money than what the current TV rights are, and it would keep the money within the league, not going to external companies.

The difficulty with that is the 3pm blackout. No 3pm PL games can be televised as it is deemed to negatively impact the attendance at lower league.

There are two ways around this

1. Fuck off the blackout. It’s stupid. Very few people would choose to go to a lower league game if they can’t watch the team they support. They’ll listen on the radio, stream it or do something else.

2. Just don’t play any PL fixtures at 3pm on a Saturday. It would horrify the traditionalists, but it gets around the problem.

1 Like

Yeah not sure why they kept the blackout in that proposal, considering they were suggesting they would drop to 18 teams so wouldn’t have an issue.

I’d buy a team option and then an additional option for the top games. Would be better than what I get now, bar cricket I don’t think i watch any other sport.

Been watching the Baseball in BT but only because I’m away for the World Series and most of the playoffs so seemed pointless to buy their season pass.