Social Media discussion

I already made a “just in case” account some time ago. But tbf, i haven´t used it so far.

1 Like

I have started on Mastodon.

The choosing the server at the start is the most confusing and off putting thing, but ultimately doesn’t matter.

Once you have an account, you can use the web or an app ( I use Tusky for android). Then you can view three different feeds
:house: is the feed from people you follow
:people_holding_hands: is the feed from the server you joined
:globe_with_meridians: is the feed from everyone on all servers

It is off putting because the main servers are either very techy, lgbt or fetish - none of which really apply to me personally.

2 Likes

Really? Suits most on here I’d say

How do you sign up? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

The fact that this guy can lose 99.9% of his worth and still be set for life bugs me no end. I wish it happens, though.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Deneb,
which server do i choose, if i am based in the UK? I want a general one.

Thanks Livvy, :blush:
I have downloaded the app, but not sure which server to use.

1 Like

Granted Musk has been a literal bull in a china shop here but the mass migration to another platform tells you all you need to know about the prevailing social agenda of pre-musk twitter.

What does it tell you about that?

1 Like

The Twitterati were a bunch of billionaire haters.

As I say, it really doesn’t matter. I joined the San Franciso Bay Area server even though I don’t live there.

The UK regional server is mastodonapp.uk

You could also pick mastodon.social which is the main big one, but there’s little point when you can see everything on the Federated feed anyway.

There are other general ones listed here:

Even if you join a server and change your mind, you can migrate to a different one,

2 Likes

Thank you Deneb🙏. It was so confusing, as they have another server for techy people, another for something els3

Would be quite amusing if Twitter descended into minor backwater thing.

As with all things tech / internetty (new word) lifespans are short.

Amusing until you think that the $44bn could have eradicated world poverty instead of being flushed down the toilet in a man baby tantrum

3 Likes

I have to admit I’ve only been on Twitter since seeing all the stunning real time information about the war in Ukraine on our RussiaWarCrimes thread here.

I don’t really want to think about what would happen to our overall understanding of the conflict should Twitter just disappear.

1 Like

Everyone would come to TAN and get the latest from Magnus

6 Likes

No, not even close.

No, but it could have provided clean water to millions of people

4 Likes

Take that to its logical conclusion (reductio ad absurdum) and we all harmonise at second world level. Not saying that’s a bad thing but goodbye so many of the things we take for granted. Take all the world’s wealth and resources and re-distribute them equally. Nobody is driving a Tesla or owning an iPhone. I can see a small kickback to that.

1 Like