Think this guy is hilarious.

4 Likes

15/10 :joy::joy::joy::joy::+1::nerd_face:

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

His Ark one is excellent too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have Dry Bar in my Facebook feed, some of them pretty funny.

Starting at 1:15 this is fuckin funny. I think Kevin Bridges may be one of the funnier ones out there

Not only is this yet another example of cancel culture, but also the infantilisation of the public: you’re not allowed to make your own decisions but are told what is acceptable and what isn’t.

And if people aren’t allowed to think for themselves, they become idiots. Which is exactly what our neoliberal overlords want.

3 Likes

what did he say?

comedians normally get ALOT of leeway with subject matter, so im suprised, and i wouldnt be shocked if its just some middling comic trying to get his 15 minutes?

Waving his genitals about and referring to Rishi Sunak as a paki.

Not really comedy.

yeah that should be banned just for being shite… fucking garbage stuff some of the stand up comedy going around nowadays.

stand up comedy is a bit of a networking thing more then anything nowadays…the more established ones just turn it into an old boys/girls network where they just swap little spots on radio, TV chat shows and bits and bobs like that while trying to convince everyone its a hard knock life leading up to that where they took all the ‘risks’…

alot of the newbies are just chancers rehashing old shit or trying to be controversial

1 Like

Sounds like ideal credentials for the next PM

1 Like

It depends on the context, really. It sounds horrendous but one of my favourite TV comedy sketches involves a group of drunks racially abusing an ethnic minority waiter. Sounds horrific but in context it’s comedy gold.

1 Like

You may have missed it - cancel culture does not exist - this has been firmly established many times and in many other threads here.

“You have the right to free speech - as long as you are not dumb enough to actually try it” Joe Strummer.

Who would have thought those words would take on an entirely different meaning 40 or so years later?

3 Likes

I think that may be a sketch in Not the Nine O’clock News.
It is an extremely well-written and observed piece of comedy. The waiter is the smart one - the drunks are boorish racist imbeciles. Sadowitz was probably using a similar construct for his show. Having not seen it, I cannot be sure, but seems likely.

1 Like

Reviving this thread because in Singapore and Malaysia these 2 days, there is a huge hooha over this ex Singaporean comedian now an American, but has even our Singapore politicians apologizing to our Malaysian counterparts.

Basically she made a joke on stage regarding the MH370 tragedy and it’s now coming back harshly at her with all her social media deactivated by the platforms, and political groups holding protests at the embassies in the US.

My question to all here, what is too far for you all as far as comedy is concerned? Or nothing is out of bounds as long the delivery is carefully thought through with laughter the ultimate barometer?

Asking because recently I had done a few stand up comedy sets and was quite well received. I played alot on racial stereotypes and the Chinese privileges based on my experience and people of all races at the show found it funny and acceptable when I asked them and some of the comments are like if you want to come to a comedy show, don’t get offended. But the problem is when your show gets put onto YouTube, it gets watched by everyone including those who don’t see the separation of comedy and that lines must be drawn. In fact in Singapore, we now have a group of comedians who are supposedly woke and refused to do anything about racial stereotypes etc, the usual things that might be offensive. For me I am fine, because as long it’s funny and delivered with an attitude not condescending, it’s a great joke.

What do you all think?

Edit: in any case, I will not do jokes on tragedies like for example 911, the Holocaust etc because these are things that are just too sombre even for myself to try to even write a joke about it

Think quite a lot of people (in positions of influence) have lost their sense of humour.

For that matter, I’m not a huge fan of comedy shows that are about racial stereotypes etc. But if done well , they can be entertaining.

Definitely, I see some comedians that think by spouting genitalia references or racial stereotypes, it’s automatically funny. It’s not. Don’t understand how comedians think by just saying fuck in every sentence would make them cool. All jokes including racial stereotypes have to be scripted and crafted to make it funny but yet in a way bring awareness and conversation. For example when I as a Chinese made a joke about some Indian Stereotype in Singapore, I don’t just say it like a monologue but instead use my personal experience to describe that Stereotype in funny incidents. And because I do that, they are Indians and Chinese who come up after the show and talked to me about it and what they said “bloody hell you racist sia… But funny lah!” I think that’s the problem I face as a still now hobbyist stand up comedian, what is ok and what is not because obviously not every joke is going to be funny to everyone. And I also believe comedy has the power to make people converse about topics otherwise too fragile to talk about in daily lives. But even then, I do still have my out of bounds but seem that line is getting higher and higher.

1 Like

It probably might be okay(for the easily offended) for an Indian to talk about Indian stereotypes for example. But the outrage if someone who’s not an Indian jokes about (especially in the www when words are often taken out of context) is real.

It can also mean the uproar when an Indian comedian stereotypes Chinese.

Understood, yea maybe in Singapore we have lived with various races so we had grown up hurling stereotypes at each other. My Indian comedian friends do that at shows too and we usually try to run through jokes with each other as a group and gives opinions. But what you mentioned is real, if we make fun of your own race, it’s fine usually but treading into other races can be problematic. So I try to include Chinese stereotypes too in my set :rofl:

1 Like