TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

Ok, the formal answer would be the The Reciprocating Engine and The Rocket Engine.

The wheel’s such a clear winner there’s no point.

Antibiotics and Printing

The bomb and steam engine

Antiseptics and radio

Television and computing

Can you count?

2 Likes

Only when it counts…

was throwing out ideas - thought it was a throw some out there and you’d pick one that took your fancy.

1 Like

Just pick two. Makes life easier for everyone, as they can see what has already been nominated as they go through the thread. :+1:

Antibiotics and printing then

2 Likes

@aussielad has already nominated the printing press, so pick another.

vaccines

1 Like

Leaded gasoline and chlorofluorocarbons.

Both invented by the same bloke…winning.

3 Likes

farming/agriculture
smelting

i did contemplate fire but i dont think it should be in…maybe harnessing fire, but it seems a stretch… be interested to see COGs take on it…(it would mean someone else would have to nominate it as it takes my tally to three.

Fire
Artificial Intelligence

• music
  • visual arts

Both of these wonderful inventions happened a long time ago. Maybe they are as old as our species, but it’s still what makes humans special.

The rest is just technology, thus totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (ie. the wheel, or steam / electricity). Despite having invented a lot of technological stuff, we are still roughly the same than our ancestors who used to live as nomads, or in caves.

3 Likes

1, God.

Not necessarily good, but certainly influential.

2, Needle and thread.

Feels like this could almost be two threads here - generic inventions vs those that can be attributed to an individual or a group of (named) individuals. Ultimately Fire wins but clothes, shoes, knives, spears, fishing, boats and so on are all good’ens.

I hate to be pedantic, but fire wasn’t invented. It existed long before humans.

1 Like

I’ll change it then, thanks for the correction!

1 Like

Artificial Intelligence
The car

1 Like

No you don’t.

4 Likes

The Written Word / Language
The cooking pot

1 Like

Wheel.