The Amazing Planet and Nature Thread

Is it worth watching?

1 Like

I liked it as a show, and the ā€˜speculative biologyā€™ is intriguing.

1 Like

Iā€™ll try to give it a go.

1 Like

Its Very Goodā€¦ :+1:

2 Likes

Ah nature, isnā€™t it great. Me and Apollo are now being terrorized by a pack of coyotes.

Even in the heart of the city, Orlando has a lot of natural wild areas, but there appears to have been a family who have left the marshes about a mile from me and set up residence in an area of brush directly across the street form my drive way. On Monday morning I took Apollo out at 5am for his morning business and about 30 seconds after we passed there, this little bastard just popped out of the bushes tracking our scent. He stood in my driveway for about 10 minutes trying to get a trace on us and finally gave up and slunk back into the bushes. Weā€™ve now gone through the same thing the last two mornings as well and so heā€™s clearly pursuing Apollo.

They have always cohabited with us, but itā€™s really concerning they are starting to come out more and more in the residential neighborhoods and showing little fear of humans. He has been completely unperturbed by the sort of hazing that normally scares them away. And so rather than acting like heā€™s become friendly, heā€™s acting like a hungry animal willing to take risks in what he is willing to engage with.

3 Likes

^^^Good ole second amendment :ok_hand::joy:

1 Like

What breed is Apollo?

1 Like

Heā€™s a large (45lbs) terrier. Heā€™s feisty and can kill stuff if needed, but would not stand a chance if a coyote tried to swipe him.

3 Likes

My neighbourhood has foxes, which upsets some people. They moved in about four years ago, taking advantage of an exploding rabbit population, and the neighbourhood divided. Some people think it is brilliant (a neighbour caught early morning video of foxes playing on a kidā€™s trampoline), others (mainly cat owners) thought that someone should do something.

Then the neighbourhood just across the transit way started seeing coyotes, and started missing pets. The coyotes have been drawn in by available food resources. Those foxes are welcome to all the rabbit they can find.

More worrisome, the wolf pack in Gatineau Park has been discovered not to be truly wolf anymore. Some of the population are a coyote/wolf hybrid, which are not quite as large as a wolf but much less reclusive. Exactly what you want in a large, heavily used national park adjacent to an urban area.

I thought Apollo was fairly large?

About the same weight class, coyotes donā€™t get much bigger than that. If it just one, the coyote is unlikely to want any part of that. It usually isnā€™t just one.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why I asked, I imagine coyotes would be tough on a lot of domestic dogs.

He probably has the size over this thing, as Florida coyotes tend not to get bigger than 30lbs. Wheaten Terriers that are raised on the farm can handle badgers, but I imagine this just a weight class bigger and meaner than he was bread to deal with.

Ordinarily I would say that as well, except for the fact that weā€™ve now gone through this multiple times meaning it wasnā€™t just a chance encounter and he seemed not remotely put off by me challenging him.

Growing up in Welsh farmland we are very familiar with these sorts of encounters and would ordinarily respond the way the fox positive neighbors you described did. But we had one fox encounter go bad when we were a kid with one who seemed hungry and desperate and this is what this guy is acting like.

1 Like

Donā€™t they! I thought Coyotes get bigger. But yeah, their biggest strength is they hunt in pack/pair, so even bigger dogs would be fair game to them.

Yeah, still an aggressive wild animal that merits respect.

Not much prospect of that happening here, foxes cannot eat those damned rabbits fast enough for me. It is ironic that I have never seen a coyote in the country. Bears and wolves make it nowhere hear as hospitable for them as areas where we humans have cleared out all the predators for them. Comparing the range of the coyote now to before European arrival is astonishing. There probably no coyotes east of the Mississippi-Red River line.

1 Like

I googled what to do if you encounter one in Orlando and the city has an information page about it. At the bottom it asks you t report problems to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. I just called them as they said Iā€™d have to call the city.

This is local government in action.

3 Likes
1 Like

Bureaucracy in its full glory :innocent:

Phenomenal video of crossing between Atlantic and Pacific at Cape Horn. Normally, not nearly as well defined boundaries, but fairly calm summer day

edit: Dammit, fake. I should have noticed the big BC Ferries logo, it is from the mouth of the Fraser.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1339611126871560194

2 Likes

We had an amazing example of light pillars a few nights ago. I missed the peak, and did not walk to the park in time to get the best possible photos. Remarkable though.

6 Likes

Saw this earlier today on the news,
Would love to have been thereā€¦

2 Likes