The Amazing Planet and Nature Thread

1 Like

Makes my skin crawl too!

2 Likes

I fucking hate those bastards. My aunt lives with her partner on an isolated farm somewhere in the depths of southern France, he took great pleasure in showing me the collection of skins his plethora of fucking tarantulas have shed over the years. Mad fucking cunt who hopefully the relevant authorities are keeping tabs on.

1 Like

:scream::scream::scream:

5 Likes

The time scales never cease to boggle the mind. Millions upon millions of years of change, adaptation, extinction and creation. The Era of modern man in terms of written history that we can define is piddly in comparison and our own little period now of enormous technological advancement in the last 100 years or so isn’t even a tiny droplet of a droplet in the history of the planet. Makes the fact that we’re intent on fucking it up even more saddening.

10 Likes
1 Like

Indeed. You might know this already, but the following pic reduces the overall timescale of our planet, since its formation until now, to 24 hours:

Our species appeared a bit more than one minute ago. Settlement and agriculture happened 0,15 seconds, and the industrial revolution 0,004 seconds ago.

2 Likes

There’s a similar one in the series Cosmos that shows the timeline since the big bang mapped on a calendar year. Blew my mind. I was always amazed on the vastness of space but the time aspect never cross my mind till I saw that.

1 Like

Found it, although there’s more details present about the last day of the cosmic calendar in the show I remember.

1 Like
4 Likes

Video captures tornadoes touching down in Kentucky and Missouri on 10Dec21. Absolutely Terrifying.

https://www.reddit.com/r/awfuleverything/comments/re5h2t/mayfield_kentucky_after_the_tornado/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

2 Likes

Truly living up to the name.

2 Likes

Some fantastic pics in there.

3 Likes

A strawberry finch.

6 Likes

He’s a red! :wink:

2 Likes

So, -31 C the forecast low for overnight…

2 Likes

Should turn them upside in the snow and place a pair of boots at the bottom of the legs! :0)

They did not lie about how cold it was going to get…@Limiescouse frozen vodka shot

3 Likes
3 Likes