The attack - that's the answer

I dont think there is a specific problem to be addressed other than we have been progressively worn down by covid, injury to CBs and moving from Melwood; so I think we will have to gradually grind out of it.

But right now it would really help if we had another player who could be the focus of the attack, an orthodox 9; the problem is the one we have is not anywhere near good enough; I mean Origi. If this were the case we could set up differently and beat this low block we keep facing. We have carte blanche to put the ball in from our full backs on the wings but no one to nod the ball in.

1 Like

We could do with some goals from our midfield too, can’t remember the last time we won a match from a midfield goal

2 Likes

What gets me confused Bobby gets grief so does Salah but Mane seems to get free pass. After scoring 3 in first 3 games and 2 assists. He now has 3 in 14 games and 1 assist.

2 Likes

The 10 letter minimum characters should be changed to 4, for this thread.

Jota puts constructive pressure on anyone that plays up front, including himself, while Origi, Shaq, and Mini don’t.

1 Like

This is a good point also;

We’ve lost all threat from set pieces, Van Dijk was a complete menace and scored some important goals.

1 Like

I actually think Matip is a bit more of a threat.

1 Like

To himself of injury, he is indeed!

But yes he scored our last goal from a corner v’s Palace!

2 Likes

Matip has been great from set pieces this season - he gave Leicester fits, scored against Wolves and set Salah up at Palace.

Both he and Van Dijk are big threats. It’s definitely something we’re missing.

Chelsea wouldn’t be too far above the relegation zone if Zouma wasn’t so good at attacking set pieces, he’s won them a few games when they’ve been crap. We could do with a bit of that now.

2 Likes

Yeah, losing a few CB’s due to different reasons definitely didn’t help. Height alone can’t replicate the usual missions and habits of players. It’s an important aspect. We also won a lot of 2-1 games last season.

1 Like

A possible answer?

Get Andy to train how to shoot on target when he is free on the left with only the keeper in front of him.

It’s the weakest part of his game - how many times have we seen him free in the box (when there’s no crossing chance), so he boots it high over the bar into the top stand.

In the Man Utd game, he skied one over, and later when he was free in the same position, Bobby decided to shoot (albeit with no power) rather than pass. It’s probably due to him knowing Andy would sky it.

Get God in on a training session to teach him to shoot low and across the keeper with his left peg.

1 Like

I wonder if we put a buy back clause in Ings contract…

1 Like

The answer is that they need to score some goals in the coming weeks.

I’m comfortable with our striking options going forward - Jota is one for the future, Mo, Bobby and Sadio don’t sound as if they are pushing to move on, but when they do Jota is there. Obviously, if one of the top 3 do go, you’d hope that we could secure Mbappe or Sancho or someone else in the “top end” category, but given Covid, I don’t see anyone leaving Liverpool because they just aren’t affordable. If someone does go, then we will be flush with cash…so we can go for one too.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. It’s only a matter of time the players click into gear, and I think that Thiago is key to that. He’s fit, so now it’s a case of learning how his team mates move, and finding them.

4 Likes

Not the proper thread, but too many have deceived us, for different reasons

Origi
Takumi
AOC
Shaqiri
Keita

It would have been a different story if just half of them were performing.

Yup Matip is a menace on corners, delivery still seems ok 1 out of 4 but yeah no one to take advantage.

1 Like

I’ve heard a bit of talk about bringing back Ing. Not for me. Nothing against the lad - always liked him when he was here, but we’ve got to reduce the number of crocked lads on the books not increase it.

5 Likes

Scoring with a crutch or chucking the treatment table at the ball? (Injuring himself for a month in the process obviously)

1 Like

That seems to be a real problem that we’ve had for ages, even pre Klopp.

perhaps I don’t look at other clubs enough but we certainly seem to get a bad rub of the green regarding injuries.

1 Like

Well the answer wasn’t Origi!

And who’s surprised really? Anyone? NO composure when clean through and had time to think. Its a vicious circle with him, minimal impact from the bench then a start where he has no impact. Tonight was one of his better outings but that’s a low bar to start with. We will be selling him this summer for 25M…right? Like every summer. A loan to buy where he does nothing and comes back early is my bet.

1 Like

You wanna know the answer??

You wanna know the fucking answer???