The Book Thread

I remember he never ever washed his neck before putting on his shirt :0)

1 Like

This is killing me now. The name is familiar to me from my childhood but I cannot recall from what. I looked him up and the face rings a bell but doesnt help, and neither does his Wiki page. I have a vague recollection of him being a host of some kids show, or maybe a game show. Would have been late 80s through to the mid 90s. I saw the reference to Countdown, but I cannot imagine that would have been where I’d know him from

Good Morning Britain?

That’s it. He was the jumper twat from TV AM. Likely the inspiration for Colin Hunt from the Fast Show

Is there still any footage of that. I have a feeling that it’s one of those apocryphal stories although probably quite typical of Johnny.

2 Likes

sandsoftime

Oct '21

“Remember Folks, Always Make Your Do-Nuts Like Fanny’s”

Bernard Manning when praising the chef Fanny Craddock…

Ok Ok it will never be written into the annals of history, but it makes me chuckle each time

Written Oct 21 - Greatest Lines Thread
I remember my dad telling me the story. FC and BM were on Parkinson. Disgusted to realise someone from the gutter like BM could actually breathe the same air as her, she was being all hooty tooty and looking down her nose at BM during the show, with a few snidey remarks/digs aimed at BM. The above line was uttered by BM a moment before the credits started to roll so she FC had no time to respond… Parkinson after hearing BM say it ended up on the floor rolling around laughing… :0)
Been looking for the clip but haven’t found it just yet…
Series 2. Ep 2… Jun 10th 1972

Someone with a dark sense of humour it seems…!

Flood Summer was a really well written book. Just the perfect level of detail that it seemed so accurate, but not so much that it detracted from the story. A pleasure to read.

I’d recommend it, but it seems like it’s not very easy to get a hold of these days.

In one of those weird coincidences, I started The Night Ocean last night and the author died, perhaps today.

Edit - So, apparently he died the day i started reading it. I’ve owned it since August 2019.

Please read this next:

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m surprised at you promoting such a book :rofl:

If he writes as well as he speaks I’m sure it will be a popular wipe.

It doesn’t appear on the best buy list
https://www.google.com/search?q=best+toilet+paper+by+price&oq=best+toilet+paper+by+price&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l3j0i390l4.8179j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I wasn’t promoting it. :wink:

I have been searching this book for 35 years. I would recommend this one and the second part The Enchanted Prince.

2 Likes

I had a similar thing with leaders, sadly Sunak doesn’t have any books about them, probably be about 5 pages long.

But you can thank me for Trump and err the Queen :confused:

I’ve got a lot of the recommended books on Warren Buffett on my book shelf but still unread.

Have started Yefei Lu’s ’ inside the investments of Warren Buffett’.

Really fascinating look at some of his best known investments - detailing what information would have been widely known or available to other investors at the time, economic climate etc and what likely prompted the purchase.

1 Like

Just finished the Warlow Experiment. An interesting idea for a novel. The execution was decent but could have been better.

FUCK MODERN AUDIENCES.

1 Like

Seems hard to believe anyone actually wants this. I agree with Philip Pullman, if you don’t like the language just don’t read it and let it fade away.

I didn’t grow up reading Dahl, never been much a fiction fan, so I don’t know the source material but I’m sure there are lots of other stuff to read for people who don’t like the word ‘fat’.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one of the first books that I actually sort out as a kid. It was constantly out on loan and my mother, who was a local librarian, refused to put it aside as it would be “unfair on the other children”. So much for fucking nepotism!

When my kids read it, I noticed that it had been updated somewhat because the cost of the chocolate bars had been decimalised and Charlie finds a 50p coin instead. I suppose this is fair enough given the age that the books are aimed at. However, I was surprised to find out how much it was revised by Dahl himself:

I can’t honestly see that the latest changes are doing anything positive. By all means, keep cultural references up to date but part of the appeal of Dahl has always been the dark satire and a sense of childish anarchism.

1 Like

Part of the magic of books (and film [where such things are harder to change]) is how they freeze culture in time for us to later consider. Should we take the n-word out of Huckleberry Finn in consideration of our sensibilities?

1 Like